Flair Scouts? SMC?

Matt Carlton

I think my Flair SE5a cost about £80 when I built it about 25 years ago. I bought it from a local model shop as well as the OS52FS that I fitted.  I think it was the third model I built after a Precedent Elecectrafly and a 40 powered trainer.  I converted it to electric last year.  I think there are better and cheaper kits available these days, though the Flair kits certainly flew well and were popular but they're basically a 30 year-old design. 

• Like 1

It's an interesting point. When I think back to what I tend to perceive as the "good old days", I wonder how many of my dream kits of the day would bear scrutiny today? 

I have always, always wanted a Sitar Special, but have always been nervous about actually looking for one in case it is a disappointment. 

Better for it to remain untarnished in my imagination I suspect. 

Never meet your heroes as they say! 

• Like 1

I always fancied a Sig Smith Miniplane.  Found one, about three months ago - from SMC.

It's been a more challenging build than I expected, with huge lumps of balsa to cut and shape; ply to cut out; a firewall to laminate........ quite a bit different to more modern kits!

Edited by GrumpyGnome

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

At that price it needs  one of your first laser Diesels,, ( ok just being silly again )

I also built their SE5a a great flyer, it fell to bits after being pressure cleaned with four stroke unburned fuel after over ten years on flying it.

My SE 5 lasted 7yrs before a dodgy servo flipped it onto a concrete runway, I would have repaired it but the oil contamination was too bad.

It cost all of £45 from the local model shop.

• Like 1

So sad that Flair appear to have thrown the towel in although their website still says they are 'restructuring'.

Well engineered kits that were affordable and popular back in the day - just look what secondhand kits and models command pricewise now.

Too good to go extinct completely, maybe someone else will eventually make a decent job of putting them back into production?

Edited by Cuban8

While the flair models were good for their time i think they have had their day. The days of die crushed lite ply are gone and the DB 60 inch pup is better looking, better made, easier to build and generally more up to date. The SFM kit se5a also has its merits and generally i think things have moved on. 

That said, i have flown a number over the years and was taught to fly on a flair pup as it was all my Dad had available. it was just fantastic to fly and very forgiving while still being able to teach so much. My Dad even did his B cert with it! The model, now 34 years old, is still hung in the garage and is airworthy in theory. My Dad has not flown in the last 15 years following a new crowd taking over the club he had flown with for over 20 years and throwing out everyone they didnt want there. He jumped before being pushed, but being stubborn i held on until they claimed my renewal never arrived. In any case i am trying to convince him to join my current club as his pup would not take much to get back in the air and it would be great to get it flying again. 

I also own and fly the Flair nieuport, and it would be nice to fly the two models together. I can also chase down his pup with my Flair triplane when i eventually build it. 

• Like 1

I think that maybe with some tweaks to take account of change in technology (laser cut parts vs die cut etc) that there is enough good will and enough nostalgia to make the Flair name viable. 

Stan at PMP has resurrected his wood kits with success, so no reason that an updated Heron with a built up wing, Flamingo, Sunrise etc wouldn't sell, particularly as electric conversions. 

There's a big back catalogue of kits that would find a ready market I suspect. But as ever, price would be key. 

5 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

At that price it needs  one of your first laser Diesels,, ( ok just being silly again )

I also built their SE5a a great flyer, it fell to bits after being pressure cleaned with four stroke unburned fuel after over ten years on flying it.

Which is why my third one is now electric. Still a good flyer, but cleaner.

Maury

5 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I always fancied a Sig Smith Miniplane.  Found one, about three months ago - from SMC.

It's been a more challenging build than I expected, with huge lumps of balsa to cut and shape; ply to cut out; a firewall to laminate........ quite a bit different to more modern kits!

Yes I also have a fancy for one. Maybe not now........

Speaking of rubbish kits:  I bought a Dave Smith Models Saphir. Acrobatic as hell and a really nice flyer, but the kit was the worst I've had in my 48 years of rc. Heavy where it should have been light balsa, and vice versa. Start carving or sanding something and it comes away like sliceing shredded wheat. Cheap rubbish (I threw them away) clevises and horns. Diabolical.

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I have nothing but fond memories of those kits, would be great to see them back.

Oh dont get me wrong, if the designs were updated and so on then i would welcome them back too. Its just that they really went the wrong direction with their design/construction and a guy i flew with found his MkII pup came with the plan in 5 pieces which made it difficult to build. When he asked why it was in 5 pieces and not two like the old one, he was told it was too much like hard work (i am paraphrasing) to get big plans printed so they did small ones. Corner cutting like this just undermines the whole product. Especially when the top, bottom, left and right wings were printed at very slightly different scales so they were all different. 

I found this same problem on a MkII DVII another club member was building at a similar time. 

34 minutes ago, kc said:

On the Sussex website it says " manufacturer           SMC "  

maybe they have restarted production?   Worth a phone call to check what sort of cutting they use now -laser or diecut- if you are a serious buyer.

Last month I bought a Radio Sailplanes Sirocco from the SMC 'Vault', it was similarly described as manufactured by SMC but it was an original kit as I expected from the description & photos - complete with a 40 year old sealed tube of Evostick! I built one back in the late 70's (as well as the Wildfleken), for me it was worth paying the asking price. 

With the sudden appearance of nearly 300 twenty+ year old kits I suspect that the bulk have been acquired from one or two private collections.

Going cheap on the plans was a big mistake. IT just made them so hard to build and in the case of the revised pup design, almost impossible to fit a 4 stroke which seemed rather daft. 

As for powerplants, it has to be a 4 stroke. I know i am big on engines, but my nieuport is whisper quiet (quieter than half the electric models at my club!) and the soft 4 stroke sound cannot be beaten on a calm summer evening. I know some dont like the oil, but i dont think i have ever done more than a single wipe with a towel after a days flying as the little saito runs very cleanly. 

I think my model is about 8 or 9 years old now and it looks suitably grubby for a WWI fighter. Its due its winter inspection soon and once a few small items are fixed it should be ready for another season. 

• Like 1