Flair Scouts? SMC?

Matt Carlton

I've had a Puppeteer for many years, but she's never flown - took the finished model to the field with a newly installed OS 52 four stroke for a maiden flight, but it was blowing a hooley, so went home without flying it. That was when I was switching over the all electric and I eventually took out the four stroke and sold it, never having been in the air. That must have been over twenty years ago and the e-conversion still isn't done. 

Years on I bought an electrified Magnatilla from a clubmate, which I've spent some time on fitting a pilot, dummy engine and machine gun and which I've been prevaricating over added a lozenge scheme to the upper wing surface to replicate my long missed OS .20 four stroke powered Atilla, Probably should have flown the Magnatilla as is, without repainting and really should do that. 

I don't recall the problems with the Flair kits that I built for myself or assisted in the build for beginners - mind you, that was in the days when Dudley Pattison was Flair's main man so things might have changed after he moved on.

The basic designs were good and remain so, hence with modern tech they could be updated to a very high standard indeed. I'm sure they'd sell well at home and abroad. Interesting to see how modern Airfix kits are designed now, as seen on the Hornby TV documentaries - mostly all CAD, laser scanners and done in comfort sitting at a desk!

10 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

saito 45. Lasers are too big physically and for power. Even the saito is turning a 15 inch prop, grossly overloaded and still i only need about 1/2 throttle

For a moment there I thought you had produced a new "small" Laser (that would be nice).  

?

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

I don't recall the problems with the Flair kits that I built for myself or assisted in the build for beginners - mind you, that was in the days when Dudley Pattison was Flair's main man so things might have changed after he moved on.

The basic designs were good and remain so, hence with modern tech they could be updated to a very high standard indeed. I'm sure they'd sell well at home and abroad. Interesting to see how modern Airfix kits are designed now, as seen on the Hornby TV documentaries - mostly all CAD, laser scanners and done in comfort sitting at a desk!

If I recall correctly, the Flair designer was Pete Nicholson. He went on with Model designs (?), Small speed 600 electric Warbirds back in the 1990s. And very nice they were too. SLEC still produce their bear cat. Still have my Hurricane.

Maury

On 17/02/2022 at 12:42, Matt Carlton said:

Stan at PMP has resurrected his wood kits with success, so no reason that an updated Heron with a built up wing, Flamingo, Sunrise etc wouldn't sell, particularly as electric conversions. 

There's a big back catalogue of kits that would find a ready market I suspect. But as ever, price would be key. 

More info please.

Who or what is PMP? Is a website around?

21 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

Doesn't DB Sport & Scale do a selection of Pups and SE5's in various sizes? 

They do 3 pups I think - a smallish one originally designed for electric power, then a 1/6th scale (60" ws) one which is new and I've built but haven't flown and a bigger 1/4 scale one.  AFIK they only do a 1/4 scale SE5a.

I have a Flair SE5a which I built years ago and recently electrified and I also have a Dennis Bryant plan and the CNC parts for a 54" ws SE5a which I doubt I'll ever build.  I bought it  on a whim on eBay, as one does ?