Alternative launch method for DLG ?

Hi, A worsening shoulder injury prevents me from launching my 1.5m DLG in the traditional way and I'm seeking opinions on alternative launch methods and their pros and cons.

My thinking so far is:

1. Fit a tow hook and launch using a bungee.

2. Fit a tow hook and launch using a towline.

3. Add a small motor, esc. (Not very practical given lack of space and additional weight although a motor pod complete with integrated ESC and small flight battery may work). 

4. Add a small servo as a release mechanism and drop from a multirotor. (Requires a multirotor pilot).

5. Sell the model !?

All thoughts, ideas for alternative solutions greatly appreciated.

Steve.

I've just gone route 3 (small motor) with my Elf 1m DLG. It's quite a few years old & I was going to renew the fuselage & tail but when I went on Hyperflight's website to order I noticed that they now do a motor conversion option which I ordered instead. The engineering with the motor inside the tiny spinner is quite exquisite, I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as there is a break in the weather.

They also do a PowerNose for slightly bigger models which may be suitable for you Steve. https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=VMF5-PWRNOSE&name=vladimir-s-models-f5-powernose-35g

6. get somebody else to launch it for you ?

7. Rocket launch? (Years ago I had the Estes rocket canard and it was quite good fun.

If you can't I think the bungee route would be the way to go, or even a catapult launch. Putting a motor/esc and battery would lead to a weigh increase and worse light air performance which is the whole point of these models, you'd be better off selling it and buying a bespoke electric powered glider.

BTW if you got a stablised multi-rotor you could launch the DLG then just hit RTH and carry on flying the glider, the RTH on my DJI Mini 2 is very impressive.

Thanks for the replies.

The power options at Hyperflight look excellent but I'm afraid I'm not going to invest that sort of dosh to be honest. Also my particulat DLG doesn't have a circular fuselage, it's flattened making it difficult to fit a standard motor/spinner without serious mods. A better option would be a self contained detachable power pod.

Ron, I could practise with my other arm but I don't think it would end all that well!

Frank, I already have a Top Model CZ Swish powered glider of the same size so adding a motor may not be the best option and will add extra weight as you rightly suggest. However, I do have a fully stabilised multi-rotor with GPS and return to home but might still be best if someone else flew it. But, I'm often at the field alone so would prefer not to be dependent on another person.

Therefore, as you and Grumpy Gnome say, the bungee may be the most simple and effective solution.

Edited by Steve Colman

I've used a lightweight bungee system to launch both a Dream-Flight Libelle and an Anglewings Pug micro DLG successfully.

I used 1/4" flat strip rubber that I'd retired from use in my rubber powered models tied to fishing line in a ratio of about 1/3 rubber to 2/3 fishing line, which gave a fairly gentle launch. Obviously the exposed rubber won't last too long in sunlight, but it's easy to knot if it breaks

I wouldn't want to use a standard bungee on these models though.

Don’t underestimate how tricky it may be to fit a hook to a DLG for bungee launch. They are very strong in the directions they need to be for a DLG launch, but the fuselage layups are often paper thin and there won’t be much space for reinforcing. Personally I have been impressed by the electric converted ones, on 95% of UK flying days you have to ballet a DLG anyway so the extra weight really isn’t an issue and it does make operating it super simple.

• Like 1

MattyB, you make a very valid point about the fuselage strength of a DLG. I will check mine out but I'm sure you may be correct. I think the simplest way to add a motor to mine will be via a standalone pod mounted atop the wing which houses motor+ESC. Perhaps a small inrunner with a 10A ESC and a small 2S lipo would suffice. No hacking of the airframe required and easy to remove if it doesn't work well.

I'm not in the UK and fortunate to have many days suitable for DLG flights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 12:33, Steve Colman said:

A big thank you for all of your replies.

I have decided to sell the Helios use the funds to get myself the kit detailed in the link below or maybe even a 2m F3-RES kit. Just want something convenient, simple, light and floaty to relax with.

https://www.hoelleinshop.com/planes-...01&c=171&p=171

It looks nice, but 1.2m is super small for a thermal ship - there is no substitute for span, and when you do get away you can't stay with the lift as long as it gets smaller quickly! From the flat 1.5m span is my absolute minimum (fine for DLG when most of the fun flights are lower down anyway), but a 2 piece wing 2m is the perfect sweet-spot for everyday, non-competitive soaring IMO.

MattyB, I am looking at 1.5m and 2m models also: but the little one seems quite appealing for some reason. The sale of the Helios (and any other model I can sell) will have to fund a large percentage of any new project and will go some way towards my final decision.

I've been trying to persuade a friend to sell me his Supra which he hasn't flown in two years for which I have the cash put away in a safe place just in case.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Trevor said:

And. . .?

Did you motorise it?

Did you build it!?

We need to know!

Hi Trevor, it's half built! The build was stalled due to outside forces not under my control. I would like to complete it before this summer but I still have other priorities to attand to beforehand.

It will be motorised.