Black Horse Spitfire 46 size, Help

Frank Day

Hi,

I've never been a Spitfire sort of guy but I picked up one of these "beauties" very cheaply, all good never had an unscheduled event but its horrible.

Fixed gear, air scoop way too long and too far forward the list is long.

Does anyone know it this was "based" on any particular Spitfire MK or just a theme. I would like to move it closer to an actual model.

Im going to graft in some retracts and either keep as IC with either a classic Super Tigre 56 or a RCV 90SP both  waiting for a new homes. I've a couple of electric option also.

So without trawling through endless pictures etc I wonder if anyone has any advice on exactly where to plant the main gear, space between etc.

Im going to pick up some flightline Spitfire 1600mm landing gear that comes with, hopefully handy retract mounts with the correct angles, wing shape willing etc

Under wing rads I assume depending on mark.

Thanks in advance

Is this the 55 inch version? if so the rcv 90 would be a bit big i would think. 

IN any case most ARTF spitfires do not really look much like any spitfire i ever saw. They make the tails too big, noses long, wheels small and too wide apart, and then put mickey mouse in the cockpit. 

While absolutely onboard with trying to improve it you might find it less work to just build a spitfire from a plan or kit if you really want it to look as authentic as possible. If you wanted to go this route the cambrian example or the warbird replicas example would be good choices. 

If you want to kitbash then its probably supposed to be a MkIX or MkV. A simple 3 view from google or taking some basic measurements off of an old airfix kit will help you position all the bits. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It is the 55" 1400mm olde version. You know it well, nose, tail, wheel spacing and if you're a little older the wheels were the size of the those little Iced gem biscuits.

The 90SP is probably too big but the fit is spot on when held against the bulkhead and it will spin a nice scale prop. CG will probably be interesting though im informed it should be some way further forward than the manual suggests.

It was an impulse buy with a couple of throw them in the boot and go foamies. I dont have the time to do a real build and still have a couple of ARTF's kicking about in boxes.

Checked the airfix collection, no Spitfires. I could  probably roughly work out some details from some good pictures. I'll have a look at some MkIX or MkV as suggested.

Frank

the noses are quite long and i would doubt it will need significant amounts of lead. If memory serves this is the same core airframe as that deagonstini job you built from magazines. I flew one of those a club mate had on a 40 2 stroke and it was fine as it didnt weigh anything. 

On the c/g position i suspect its fine, just excessive rates used on the elevator as is usually the case with a warbird

This is part of the Black Horse blurb, I managed to find a copy of the build manual

Black Horse Spitfire 40/46 ARF Glow/EP. SPECIFICATION Wingspan : 1,390 mm 54.75 in. Length : 1,220 mm 48 in. Weight : 2.4 kg 5.28 lbs.

I have a couple of suitable electric motors. I also have a OS 40 Max FP & a nice Italian built Super Tigre .56 i've been nursing, little use with lovely compression. Guess the Super Tigre S2000 may a be a little too much!

Spec shows 2.4 kg or 5.28lbs its a light weight compared to my similar size E flite Fw190a  at 3.6kg - 8lbs with a 5000mah 6s.

The manual shows the electric version with the battery mounted under the motor to balance it out.

The pilot looks like a startled bad guy from Thunderbirds.

Deagonstini parts are currently on ebay, spares!