3D printed dummy cylinders?

Matt Carlton

With Williams Bros apparently on an extended leave of absence, I was wonder whether any of our enterprising members are able to 3D print dummy engines/cylinders and other bits? 

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any other suppliers, that would be great. Not looking for scale fidelity, just reasonably attractive! 

Looking for something around the size of a 1/6 scale light aircraft engine like an AW Genet radial would be perfect. 

• 1 year later...

Agree Paul, shame  a UK supplier hasn't realised there is at least a small  demand for replica vintage engines. Mick Reeves does a range of larger radial engines last time I looked, but nothing below 1/4 scale.

Did buy a cheap 3D print of a radial engine suitable for my Puppeteer from Inwoods but never got round to using it.  Did think I could print an image on a CD and use that attached to the engine shaft but could not get my printer to accept a CD despite it having that facility. Also closing of the front of the cowl would have caused cooling issues.

Actually, the reverse is likely to be the case.  It took me months to convince the owner of a Flair Harvard that the cause of his engine cuts was overheating. The engine sat surrounded by nothing but air in the cowling…when he finally agreed to add a disc of ply cut away in front of the cylinder and ensure there was a clear exit, his engine miraculously cured itself.

Matt

Of course you could always buy yourself a 3D printer, get some free CAD software and make your own!

It's what I did 10 years ago when I was near retirement and I had never used a CAD package in my life.

Just requires an inquisitive mind and lots of patience then you can make you own engines and much else!

An ASh-62 for my Antonov AN2.

ExhaustRing.JPG.8d8b6389b15354d128404c17dd5eb57b.JPG

There is a brushless motor inside all that. The engine is not painted but the parts (there are nearly 60!) are printed in colour and glued together with CA.

The crankcase internals are arranged so the brushless motor acts as a air circulator for cooling. 

Of course none of it is visible once the cowling is on but I know it is all scale inside. 😉 

All finished.

PropBoss.JPG.3888d81b5004d465e499c32a5b49d0e5.JPG 

The cowling is printed too but is painted.

Maybe not everybody's cup of tea but it can be done.  

• Like 1