HobbyKing Quandry?

SIMON CRAGG

Went to order some items in stock from HK Europe and I keep getting:

There aren't any shipping options available at your location from this warehouse. Try providing additional address information or changing the warehouse.

Tried a different address etc. but no joy.

Is this the end of getting stuff from HK as we know it, or just a glitch?.

Anybody else had the same experience?.

Time to go back to UK retailers!.

I must admit that I'm a bit baffled by the problems that seem to be affecting the supply of modelling equipment.

One of my preferred shops for musical equipment is based in Germany and their supply has been exceptional, very quick deliveries with no duty or VAT on top of the original purchase price, some quite expensive orders too.

Brexit hasn't changed their service one iota.

Maybe I'm  missing something or maybe it's just that some companies have their business models set up better than others.?

As reported on another HK topic and as above they are having Tax issues and have stopped shipping from EU to UK. They hope to have this sorted out by March 1st. What seemed odd is that the couriers are involved which made me wonder if they were not complying anyway. One other puzzle was they seemed to include VAT up to 2 kg weight over 2 kg the delivery shot up from £10 to £30 which made me wonder if that included the couriers handling charge but VAT was still included at the checkout stage. Whatever they were doing was not acceptable so they stopped shipping to the UK and maybe elsewhere. HK have always had strange procedures for example when buying from UK the minimum delivery was £10 from EU £2.95 so I always bought from EU unless the order was large enough for free delivery. HK always were hard work and I have no expectation that will ever change. Now they are having to include VAT their competitive edge has been lost on many items. UK retailers have the benefit of being on the end of a phone and seem more than willing to call regarding my order. What the future holds for HK, I don't know or care.

Steve

• 10 months later...

I know this post is a year old now and perhaps I've missed some major announcement re HK

I haven't ordered anything from them for well over a year buy visited the site today in search of a few bits and pieces but it appears that the EU warehouse is no longer an option for EU residents either. Just Global and USA.

Have they closed down the EU operation completely now? Anyone know?  

I am in the EU, and when I go to the HK website I can select the EU or Global warehouse for a random item, plus it is quoted as "in stock" ( in the EU warehouse that is).

So it does not seem they have closed down the entire EU operation, but judging by your findings, they may have indeed stopped trading with the UK

Edited by Max Z

1 hour ago, Steve Colman said:

Very strange!

I'm in spain and just logged in to the site and tried again. I don't even get the EU warehouse as an option and Euros don't appear on the drop dpwn list of currencies either.

Are you using a VPN? If you are the site might be identifying you as coking from a geography that cannot order from the EU warehouse (e.g. UK or US).

Finally cracked it by randomly changing the language menu.

There was no English option which was strange, Spanish was on as default from the list, Spain as the default country but No euros for currency. However, I did notice "Espanol" was available in the language menu so putting logic to one side I randomly clicked on it. Hey presto - Language changed to English, currency to euros and Spain remained as the default country. Additionally, I now have the EU warehouse option back so all seems to be back to normal.

All pretty strange though.

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

I think if you calculate the shipping it changes the warehouse to Global, if you’re in the UK. 

I agree that finaly giving the shipping details would have switched the warehouse but Steve's address would, or should have been valid for EU.   

I had a feeling the problem may have been some anomaly linking the selections of language, currency & country which now looks to be the case.