ZOHD Alpha battles the wind (with vertical take off!)

Ron Gray

• 4 months later...

What battery are you using in yours Keith and have you got a flight controller, mine has. I have found that it is a lot easier to launch when there is a stiff breeze as in light air it can have quite a pronounced torque roll that can catch you out, I’m not using launch mode but setting that up would help. Other than that I really enjoy flying mine.

I fly my Alpha with a 4s 3000mAh battery plus with the other electrical gubbins mine will weigh a bit more than yours, maybe that's the difference?

Regarding the Delta, I would strongly recommend cutting a cheat hole and adding an efflux extender!

In my spares box, waiting for a home, I have the ZoHD Kopilot.

Would this perhaps help me get the thing launched?

The Alpha Strike does seem balanced on the CG points and I've set all the throws and Expo just as ZOHD recommends but I still fail hard, on every launch.

I know if you start the kopilot in "Return To Home" Mode with the throttle up; it's set up for auto launch.

Cheers

KB

Right! I think I got it sorted. I was telling my Transmitter that I had an Elevon Setup.......Big mistake!

Just set it up as If I had a servo on each Aileron and let the KOPILOT do the elevon mixing and now it works perfectly!

All I've got to do is take it to the field and give it a go.
Appaerntly you can use "Return To Home mode" as an auto-launch! (I have had no end of trouble trying to launch this model).

Just give 60-80% throttle in RTH mode. The throttle wont be activated until you chuck the model.

Then, using GPS, the model will climb to 35Meters and circle the launch position.

I will report back on how it goes.

KB

(P.S. I just googled it and the mature trees round our strip can grow up to 40M that maybe a problem hahaha)

Edited by Keith Billinge
PS

On 22/07/2022 at 17:32, Keith Billinge said:

Then, using GPS, the model will climb to 35Meters and circle the launch position.

I will report back on how it goes.

KB

A flying buddy of mine has been using his KOPILOT for the 1st time, and like your self, set up, but he did so in the pits.

Well the model climbed to height and circled the pits, yes,in front, behind, in front, behind, thus going into dead airspace behind us.

Return to home had everyone in the pits running for cover.

Best advice is to set up in the centre of the runway ! ! ! Or at least the pilots box.