Nylon wing bolt threads

There are both M5 coarse and M5 fine,with a pitch of .8mm or .5mm.

It is quite easy to confuse M5 with 2BA.   Wingbolts are often 2BA.  SLEC sell both M5 and 2 BA wingbolts - if you have tapped it M5 then order some M5 bolts or vice versa.

Edited by kc

I think we have all been there David.

Most of my machines I build from scratch, so I have a built in weak point where the fuselage joins the wing.

This for me is the 1/8" ply wing retaining plate which is held in with PVA glue.

Plenty strong enough for normal flying conditions but if for any reason I cart wheel the machine on the floor, the retaining plate breaks away reducing any damage caused.

Cheers Andy.

This is the Ju88 im restoring so theres a.lot of rework and undoing of bad ideas going on.  I wont criticise the build because its over twenty years old and a chap learns a lot in 20 years....but he has left me a few challenges.  One of which is the glued but undrilled 1/2inch wing bolt plate!!!

D

It's worth saying that you don't need a proper tap to get a thread in wood - just use a steel bolt and if necessary chamfer the end to help it start ( or in thick wood drill slightly oversize for short distance )

But proper taps are not that dear if you buy from specialst suppliers like Tracy Tools.

• Thanks 1