Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Out today for first time since September and flew Wot4 MK2 for couple of flights superb. And also Wot4 Trainer, took u/c off can only think hit hole in strip, fortunately nylon bolts sheared preventing any damage.

Looking forward to getting out there again subject to other half feeling ok and between her chemo dates.

A full model related day yesterday.......

Up early (in the frost!) to remove the grass clippings from yesterdays mow - frost on top, steamy clippings below, finally a layer if dirt from the worm casts.  Got a good sweat on, but the field looks great!

Our final indoor session of the year. "Do you know, I've not broken a prop this year" said Ian, moments before joining Tony in the pits area who was also battling with props and O-rings..... Ian (another one - we have a few!) brought along his 3D printed Eagle for help in setting up the controls.  Despite encouragement, he didn't give it a go....

On the way home, I called at the field and practiced landings with my IC Ruckus, taking advantage of the lovely smooth runway.

Nice day!

Gonna sneak out for some silent flight at about 8;00 before taking my wife to the railway station.

594958486_20230404_0821015285.thumb.jpg.5b404cd736e8da186a1e4bbf224c6c6f.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

Managed to dust the cobwebs off my SkyWing Edge 540 74" this morning after the last flight on October 2022.

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.62b4cace0fba3e22422155375daebc8d.JPG

Instruments seem to be working fine!

IMG_1273.thumb.JPG.1e1ded208da59e51416c87a60ebf1b59.JPG

All good to go. chilly, but with a light crosswind. Hey! That's what the rudder's for!

After the third flight of four I was happy enough to remind myself of flat & inverted spins after loosening up with some stall turns and knife edges.

I forgot what a precise flier she is. Great morning.

• Like 4

Went out 9-30 in slight drizzle. Took my Acromaster and took off and instantly the fin and rudder flew off to be held on by the control rod. Chopped throttle and it landed it with just a tiny bend in uc. Examination showed the Foam2 Foam glue had crystallised and it just picked off with my fingernail. Got it back home and the tail plane went same way ??? First glue failure of this particular glue in my experience. I put it down to 5 months in cold shed ??? Checking everything else now. What a long winter !! Colin

Edited by Colin Carpenter

The two best flyers at my club are Erwin Curien and his son Hubert who is twelve years old. Fortunately they live in Paris so only come down to fly with us during the school holidays! Some of you may remember me mentioning Hubert flying a thirty year-old ARTF trainer powered by a Webra 40 in inverted circuits last year. Well, he crashed it which proves that he is human after all so I gave him a WOT 4 fuselage, wing and tailplane which had been cluttering up our club's workshop for years. It lacked a fin and rudder but by calling up images of WOT 4s on line they were able to make them up. They didn't bother with the cosmetics. The lad simply covered the fuselage, fin and rudder in white film, glued my old tailplane in place, fitted an OS 55AX to it and took it to the flying field yesterday afternoon for its maiden flight. The engine cut out on the first flight but after a bit of needle twiddling the lad put us all to shame by flying the book. Loops, rolls, Immelmanns, Cuban Eights, inverted circuits, the only thing he couldn't do was make it fly backwards!

I flew my Super 60. 🤨

PS. They've repaired te trainer too!

Hubert with WOT 4.jpg

Hubert WOT 4 2.jpg

• Like 1

A well-known phenomenon in Spring. Rapidly rising sap causes trees to make sudden increases in their height, in the orientation and placement of their branches, and even in their actual location in relation to the runway. It makes flying models at the beginning of the season a tricky business.

I flew this weekend for the first time since last October. 5 models flown over 2 days, 1 damaged as i got myself caught out by changing light/wind and faceplanted my little Hurricane. New pins for the oleos and a new canopy (the uv damaged old one being very fragile) will have it sored as there was no other damage. 

Felt good to be out in the sun, got a bit roasted actually. No photos im afraid. 

Nice weather so flew Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Perhaps best not to repeat it from an expense point of view, but there was some good flying to be had.

Friday, Laser 70 powered Seagull Mosquito had one engine stick on WOT (servo failure). For a reason I can't comprehend the entire field grass is cut very short so not a lot I could do with something that glides like a manhole cover and has a very unpredictable tendency to spin. So rather than crash somewhere in the countryside I tried a fast landing in the field. Sods law and as I touched the ground to stop the errant engine, I broke the prop on the other and it yawed/lifted its wing so in it went to stop any other risk to persons. Needless to say when we collected the wings and multi part fuz from different locations its not good news.

Saturday was uneventful with the combined flying of the FW190's as the highlight (for me!)

image.thumb.png.18242434bc517bb39ab3b37797f243e6.png

Sunday was going ok with a couple of flights of the Yak and GTC, until the second flight of the P38 when the control horn oN the elevator pulled out. Needless to say its arrival with the hawthorn hedge did prevent it hitting the ground at the expense of shredding the foam from the from half of the model.

image.thumb.png.28d7f5362472462902a3c9044bf10352.png

PS the mossie is in the naught corner until I can bring myself to investigate why the servo failed, but it does not look visually mechanical.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Flew Friday, Saturday and Sunday - great fun all round. Windier than was ideal but got some good flights in, had a blast with mass launches of the wee Volantex warbirds again and also remaidened my Parkzone Wildcat, which is now a Martlet. Just as well, since the forecast for the rest of this week is wet and windy.

IMG_1563.thumb.jpg.cf5dd0195a27e89115a436e20770bb11.jpg

• Like 3

Great flying on Saturday, got my new Boomerang in the air but had a few dead sticks running in the mk4 Irvine 46, the instruction manual is not as straightforward as a the OS46 I had in the previous Boomerang but I’m learning a lot about glow engines.

Got a few flights in Sunday morning, breezy with a cross wind but good practice.

Looking good for Friday afternoon and next weekend. 😁

Hopefully, lots of us will have been out this weekend..... shirtsleeves weather here on the NE coast, with just a very gentle breeze - albeit in the worst direction for our field.

Valiant went as reliably as ever.  New receiver in the Riot (DSMX) replacing the DSM2 that caused a crash last tine out. Kept the LiPos in the house overnight so the little Hawk could blast around the blue and white sky.  I managed to break the wheels off my Ruckus - again! Really must do something to lower the idle so landings aren't a battle..... and a new CDI from Just Engines means the Mustang will take to the air again very soon.

Ian's Electric J60 had some flights with a new member, and his Pup loved pottering around. Was a little warm for the chuckies needed to keep his small son interested though!

A good day out.