Ordering from Aerobertics, Bruges

13 hours ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Not having ordered anything from abroad since Brexit, I have a couple of things on Aerobertics in Bruges website that take my fancy. Anybody bought anything recently from them, as in the past (pre-Brexit)I have always found them very good? 

If ordering from outside the UK I would suggest you send a quick email first and ask them how they are set up re: UK VAT. If they are not set up to collect it at source (and know how to mark up the package accordingly) it could lead to issues, so if you get an “errr, we’ll get back to you on that…” it maybe time to think again.

Edited by MattyB

Looking at their website and entering my UK address, the price becomes less tax. So basically they sell it to you without the local or UK VAT, which means you'll be responsible for paying the UK VAT (and shippers collection fee) when it arrives in the UK.

I bought something off SM Modelbau (around £100) in Germany last year and that was shipped "tax free" with all the paperwork declaring the full value and no tax paid, it came straight through with no additional tax/charges, but I think the UK was applying a light touch on imports last year and have tightened up now.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

Hi MattyB  If you're interested in having a look at some French websites, I use Weymuller and Topmodel here in La Belle France

The situation re. tax seems pretty complicated, mainly because the rules seem to apply only some of the time, and as ever over here are open to interpretation 

ernie

• Like 1

OK wise advice gents. As one of the items was a high value one then any UK VAT will not fall through the cracks. 

I think as Matty says a quick email to see how they are set up is a good start. In the past when I have emailed Aerobertics they have replied quite quickly. Anyway whatever comes back I will report here. 

• Like 1

What you need to know, is how Mainfreight deal with customers, and who does the actual delivery in the UK. 

Different couriers, different charges. That is the charge they levy to collect the VAT. Varies from small money to blackmail.

There is a book of custom codes. Check. The book is entertaining, it quotes things like duty due on nuclear reactors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Adrian, you are right. Too much trouble.
For me, other side of the Channel, I’ve had to learn how to make crumpets. Now I would point out, given the charge Mr Warburton makes for six of his, you have to be desperate to try. 

Well, the small Carrefour supermarket near me (Gard) sells crumpets made in the UK but described on the packet as "crepes anglais". 

• Haha 1