Bécasseau

With the sad demise of my last OD model, I have scribbled up a replacement which I have called "Bécasseau". 

Simpler and more robust construction is planned. Possibly a foam wing which might actually be more achievable with balsa prices as they are!

Anyway, here's the first sketch. I'll update as I go along. Slowly. 

IMG_20220310_004633.thumb.jpg.a4ddd3939b2712133b8c3f4c49e45fea.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

So, a bit more on the fuselage. 

The front hatch was a bit of pain and I'm not super happy with the fit, but it'll probably be ok. Just waiting for some model-lite filler. I want to get the fuselage as near as possible to complete before I move on to the wing. Still undecided on foam vs built. 

IMG_20220324_101334.jpg

IMG_20220324_101357.jpg

IMG_20220324_101347.jpg

• Like 5

If you don't want a particular shape, then all you need is to find a bottle nearly the right size and heat a little to bend/shrink/coax the edge to fit to the fuselage. No plug, but you have not got much choice of shape.

But I think my levels of "acceptable" are rather lower than yours! This looks like a beautiful model.

• Thanks 1

Next time it might be easier to design a model around an existing canopy!

However it looks rather like you would need a canopy similar in style to that being supplied for the Joker 25 by Kevin b  - on the Joker plan the canopy measures 3inches wide by 2 inches high to top of canopy by around 6 inches long ( I measured the plan -I havent seen the canopy yet)  So if by any chance that would suit then you already know the supplier -Kevin b -from your laser cutting enquiry.

I think the canopy for the Joker would probably be a touch small, the overall height is somewhere around 80mm but I'd need to have a proper measure up to be sure. 

There are a few companies out there doing some vac forms, but they don't all have an illustration or dimensions. I'll have to just bite the bullet, but thankyou so much, I'll have a look at the measurements in the morning 

Tonight, tailplane, rudder and elevator were roughed out. The fuselage fairings are attached to the fin, which slots into the tailplane. The tailplane will be covered, then the tail unit glued and faired into the fuselage. A bit of film backing taped onto the tp will protect it during that process. That way, I can cover the fuselage sides under the tp flat on a board without the fin/tp etc being in the way. 

IMG_20220329_185127.jpg

IMG_20220329_185723.jpg

IMG_20220329_185121.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Built up foam is an interesting idea. I remember doing a sort of "hybrid" with a solid foam d-box and ribs slotted into it. Worked well but no real advantage. 

With the price of balsa now, its probably cheaper to get some obechi veneered cores made than to buy the wood to do built up. 

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Looked at SLEC for 1/16" sheet balsa but only hard grade available ☹️

Not good.

Steve

Have you tried Balsa Cabin ?          I have had balsa a few months back from them.

As noted though balsa prices are not cheap.

https://www.balsacabin.co.uk

Their way of doing business is a little different but have always been good over the time I have used them.