Foam wings cut

Matt Carlton

Hello, 

I'm looking to get some cores cut for a project, but don't really need them to be ready veneered and whatnot, just a basic set of white foam cores. 

Does anyone have the facility to cut cores, and what do you charge? 

Many thanks

Matt 

B & Q do 8ft x 4ft x 2in thick polystyrene sheet (EPS) for £21 (£17 only a few months ago!). I cut it up into four blocks (4ft by 2ft) in the car park to get it in the car. An alternative is to use extruded polystyrene sheet (XPS).

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Posted (edited)

I'd cut my own, but I don't have a cutter. I should probably change that, but for a one off, it'll probably cost more to build a cutting bow, get a power supply etc etc. 

I'll think of something. 

Edited by Matt Carlton

Like you say Matt, for a one off probably best to have your cores professionally cut (another vote for Cloud Models).

A hot- wire cutter is not too difficult to make but a bit of a faff.

2C1CC68D-3FFF-49FC-82A4-B9067BD62517.thumb.jpeg.fc32fefcd29395892d9a76d24da0d9cb.jpeg

You also need to make a cutting guide to chop the foam into blocks.

A69B32C6-24D5-4E6E-AF72-F0D28ED5ACF7.thumb.jpeg.c60e8cb284d262f090788c1584a172cc.jpeg

8B96274C-C35B-4193-A320-2FC032031BF9.jpeg

Firebrand looks great so far. 

I think that getting a set cut as a one off is probably the way to go, but I have been a bit surprised at the cost I have been quoted so far. It might be that my brain is still stuck somewhere in about 1992.