Lucas's Rans S-9 Chaos

Lucas Hofman

It does. Prebending with some ammonia resulted in that F1 could be glued in place without using any clamps at all.

image.png.506305445bfc4a7066a43da4dd806248.png

Tonight my local club has requested some benches to be oiled. I am not sure whether this is typical Norwegian but any club here har a evening or two where all members are supposed to show up to provide some labour at the field/clubhouse/harbour or whatever the club is using in its activities. It does, besides keeping costs down, also creates a lot of socializing (although everone is always bickering about it...).

Regards, Lucas

On 30/04/2022 at 20:27, Lucas Hofman said:

Tonight my local club has requested some benches to be oiled. I am not sure whether this is typical Norwegian but any club here har a evening or two where all members are supposed to show up to provide some labour at the field/clubhouse/harbour or whatever the club is using in its activities. It does, besides keeping costs down, also creates a lot of socializing (although e

Sounds brilliant idea.  In our club two or three people do it all!! 

12 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Sounds brilliant idea.  In our club two or three people do it all!! 

Norway is a Calvinistic country, where duty has a fairly big impact on behavior. So since everybody ought to contribute most people will, even if they do not like it. People who cannot comes when called excuse themselves extensively and generally do not feel happy about the situation.

11 hours ago, Lucas Hofman said:

Norway is a Calvinistic country, where duty has a fairly big impact on behavior. So since everybody ought to contribute most people will, even if they do not like it. People who cannot comes when called excuse themselves extensively and generally do not feel happy about the situation.

We could do with a bit...A LOT...more of that here

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress tonight. Cut and glued the 6mm ply undercarriage plates:

image.png.46930dbef191542429a99f0c5d9123e6.png

The doubler is loosening from the fuselage side in some places. I think I have been applied not enough spray glue. I fix it by wicking in Superphatic, and that seems to do the job.

While this is drying I can prepare some ribs 

image.png.7393e253ece15420c2ad91c835f74e52.png

• 4 months later...

Autumn is coming, and so the build can continue. I always need to reread the building instructions and ponder over the drawing for an hour to get on track again on what need to be done next...

Glued in the wing bolt plate and found I had forgotten the reinforments in the tail where the rigging wires attach. Good to find that one before the bottom sheet is glued on.

image.png.43e09546ec1d165737a2882bc2b8c373.png

It is good to be in the workshop again!

• Like 1

Good to see you are still around Peter.

I started on the turtle decks this afternoon, but the one behind the cockpit makes me wonder. On F5 the turtledeck is standing 6-7 mm inside the outer skin, which means it will not "stand" on anything at the bottom. Is that correct? And will it give problems when fitting the rear canopy plastic?

image.png.325fd2ce5275d858892120634faa1b77.png

Regards, Lucas

I was puzzled by your question and did a bit of checking. and I see your problem.

In fact the rear frame is glue to the  former and the turtle deck is cut away to clear the frame so the trutle deck is glued to the sides and the to[p of F-5 but is cut away to the clear the frame. You can add a couple of bits of wood to the rear of the frame to support the turtle deck in that area if you want. I don't think that I did as there is no real load on the trutle deck. If you want you can add a basla doubler behind the top of F-5 to give even morr all round support but as I say, there is no load on it

I hope this helps

Peter

I hope that this helps399731216_ChaosFormer5.thumb.jpg.f830b68295b7567fab960b3830af780e.jpg

Glued the front turtledecks in place. It is a small radius so much pressure is needed to get them to the formers:

image.png.bc5dc8f1601c988790f319ac69d3c73b.png

Wings are always a pleasure to build. And with a long bench (and building board) one can work on fuselage and wings in the same session:

image.png.a37b7cbe18094fa264ce782e4265f080.png

I let the spars extend out of the top rib. The tip becomes very solid this way.

Cheers, Lucas

I always use soft wood for those tight bends. After all, they are stuck to the sides and the square strips each side of the battery bay.

I also wet the outside of the bend and apply heat with a heat gun.They then go round easily.

I glue them to the sides first and allow the glue to dry. Then I pin them to the strips with map pins.

This post is maybe most for others that will build from the drawing in RCM&E. I think I have found the following errors in the drawing:

image.png.6e01e4918830df7bf5ed84292454ea77.png

This inner leading edge should be between the top and bottom planking, as not - as drawn - in front of them.

Same section aft:

image.png.7e7bac4efbde7e2135daaf5d2996147b.png

The text is correct, but the section shows T.E. chamfered to zero, leaving only 1/8'' to attach the aileron to.

Wing drawing at the root shows only one rib R1:

image.png.05a6d7e7602a27d8b2fbaf2185e7380e.png

This would mean one would need to take wood out of R1A to get space for a 1/4'' dowel. I think that is not the intention.

'

Peter, can you confirm the above is correct?

Cheers, Lucas

Do you know, for many many years I and a couple of other modellers and probably many many more had cut the strips for trailing edges and then shaped them.

Then one day as I was editing the hints and tip pages in  Aviation Modeller International (AMI) this chap sent in the tip to do it your way

and I and the old modellers (and I am talking about people who had started modelling in the 50s) said "That is brilliant!!! Why didn't we think of doing it that  way before!!!"

As I often say "We can't help it if we are thick!!!"

Peter, I checked your build blog this morning and noticed your braces are pine (or spruce, but hardwood). I have already made the lower brace and glued it in. However, I made it from hard balse, like the spars.

Given that the brace is the same size as the spars, does it need to be hardwood? If so I need to do some surgery.

Cheers, Lucas