DB Sport & Scale Blackburn Monoplane

David Davis 2

I have been offered a fully built DB Sport & Scale Blackburn Monoplane free gratis and for nothing. Apparently it needs a little fettling. The builder is another ex-pat Englishman returning to England. Not sure whether to accept it as I plan to do likewise at some stage and I am trying to reduce my model collection. I suppose that I could sell it on but I have an old but sound Laser 150 V Twin currently looking for an airframe...

https://www.dbsportandscale.com/blackburn-1912-monoplane-6507-p.asp

I think a I50V would be a bit much for this aeroplane, 90 to 120 recommended and I say probably quite happy on the 90 given this type of early aircraft and the need to fly it only in good low wind conditions.  Over powering these early flying machine's is hardly ever a good thing.

I've seen one of the same size (1/4 scale) fly at a couple of shows back in the 1970's powered by a geared Merco 60. At one of the shows I spoke to pilot about the regarding the power, he reckoned he flew it at 1/2 throttle most of the time, only giving the odd burst of full throttle to clear oil from the (home made) silencer.

I suppose I could fit one of the 90s or fly it with the V twin well throttled back.

I know what you mean mind, I have an eight-foot vintage model, the Big Guff, which flies on an old Laser 62 well throttled back. It weighs 3.8kgs or 5.6lbs. I'll weigh the Blackburn when I get it.