Tooled up

Frank Day

Cheap allen keys are a waste of money (In fact that goes for most tools. I don't always buy the very best, professional quality because my limited use doesn't justify it but I go for good qualty).  I have a set of both metric and imperial allen keys I bought some years ago from Axminster Tools which serve me well.  I've bought various tools from Axminster and find them to be of good quality. 

Thanks

I'm doing ARF and foamies apart from some secondhand traditional items I've picked up after many years out.

I have quality tools for everyday life inc Bahco but having trouble with the small stuff. I'll have a nosey at the recommendations.

Modelfixing  ones are superb.  Been using Allen keys for over 52 years and these are the best.

In passing I have a Bahco 15" adjustable spanner that is 52 years old. It has been used with long lengths of pipe over the handle (Disgusting practice but needed to do the job) and it is still perfect.  Love it!!!

I had a Bahco adjustable spanner given to me by a fellow motorcyclist at the side of the road.  My BMW R69S had stopped and when I opened the tool box it was empty.  All I needed to do was access the magneto  to clean the points.  A guy stopped (as motor cyclists did back in those days). He was on his way to work and gave me the spanner, saying he could get another for free.  Still got it.  I'm not a fan of adjustable spanners but they work better than most.  I suppose mine is close on 50 years old, too.

Bondhus or Wera, whose screwdrivers are superb.   Cheap tools are like blunt blades, dangerous and extremely expensive in the medium term because they fail in use, cause damage and end up costing exponentially more in rectifying the collateral damage they cause.   Buy once, buy well.

The double ended hex drivers with the UJ in the middle which from memory are Proxxon from Ian Shaw (Modelfixings) are really nifty, great for wing bolts which are too far forward for a ball hex driver.   Ditto the small Proxxon set, or for that matter the larger one which Ian also sells.

I came back to flying c. 6 years ago and found endless uses for metric hex drivers.   As a result there are Wera sets as shown above (Matty B) both imperial (are we still allowed to say that?   Mods?) and metric in both the flight box and the Mancave.   Along with 4 JIS screwdrivers, which tend to fit servos correctly where neither PH nor Pozi does, they are the most often used tools. After a scalpel, obviously.   And a Manchester screwdriver.

BTC

I find the middle of the colourful Wera hex keys too fat for many jobs. Wera also do a plain set which is the conventional hex thickness all the way up. Not as fun or as nice to handle, but more use. At work I use Bahco handled ball drivers BE-8700 series. People kept taking themp, so when I had some space at the end of a budget I got a set each for the other teams around me, and put labels on for each room. After that I have usually been able to lay my hands on one when needed. The 2.5 mm are well used and with some of the more ham-fisted colleagues the balls do break off, even on a Bahco. There is not a 1.5mm or a 1/16" in the range so Wera and Wiha for those.

I think we all own that Bahco adjustable spanner by the sound of it.

I've ordered a set of the Wera colour suggested by MattyB, they start at 1.5mm.

I usually buy good tools, I have some Snap-on etc for real world but model size hex have eluded me. Will also have a look at some screwdrivers.

Thanks for all the advice

On 29/03/2022 at 23:27, Frank Day said:

I think we all own that Bahco adjustable spanner by the sound of it.

When this thread started I didn’t, but in a bizarre coincidence I inherited one  from a distant relative this very week! Weird. Is there a secret password for the Bahco club?!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I try not to use the normal type Allen key as said many are total rubbish especially any supplied with kits etc . I mainly use HS Allen drivers . They have sharp ground hex drive that keep their shape for years. A set of four covering from 1.5mm up to 3mm will cost around £15 . If you need a set that includes larger sizes keep a look out in Aldi or Liddle for the boxed sets of "T" handle Allen and Torx drivers excellent value tools but prices change every time they come into stores.

Where room is an issue then a decent set of normal from a proper tool supplier is needed.