My foam board Mosquito maiden flight.

Eric Robson

10 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Lovely model.  It didn't need much of a heave to get it airborne - it flew right out of the launcher's hand.  Perhaps foam board should be the basis of my next build.

My Ki45 is just the same Geoff. It's 60" and weighs about 3 1/2 lbs. Mine flies on a single 2200 3S pack and is the easiest model I've ever flown to hand launch. It just seems to 'start flying' rather than take off! I have finger grips under the fuselage at the CofG and solo launching is ridiculously easy.

I'm struggling to get enthusiastic for conventional build now!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Stuart,

working with foam board is quite easy and a quick way of building, I started with a Flite Test P38 kit along with Richard Wills and Glynn Lander. Richard had some cowls and some canopies for the P 38 and the object was to see if we could make it a little better with the ABS cowls and clear canopies. 

With plenty of time on my hands mine was the first finished and I wondered what was going to happen one the test flight as it seemed very fragile and I had fitted more powerful motors. no cause for alarm it flew with a gentle launch straight and climbed away without effort. After a few flights It was performing loops and rolls and from there it has had many flights. The problem with the Maker foam is the paper covering detaches easily and looks messy, so my next project was a ME 110, this was made from foam board and Maker foam with the fuselage sheeted with 1/8" depron. The nacelles were made from foam insulation, it has had over 80 flights and is still good. 

I use UHU Por glue as well as hot melt, the Uhu is better for long runs such as wing spars as when I use the hot melt on a long run it is going off before I get to the end .

If you have any questions I will be happy to help if I can.

The Mosquito now has the spinners on and looks a lot better I tried to upload a video but the file is too big.