Any tips on glassing a model?

I used Peel Ply on my latest project it makes sure that the GF lays down on the surface and soaks up excess epoxy. I only used one coat of epoxy, enough to show a wet surface before applying the PP. Removing it seems fairly brutal but providing the epoxy is properly set hard and there are no un-stuck GF edges and there is a generous surplus of PP to grab hold of then removing it will be problem free.

Peel ply adds to the expense but I have read that dress lining fabric also works but only if it's 100% artificial with no cotton content.

Hi

I also get my Peel Ply from East Coast so probbaly same stuff.  It is thicker and does leave a slight dimple pattern but it doesnt take too much wet sanding to take the dimples off and leave a smooth surface.  It does take a little practice to get it right.

Its horses for courses but I’ve found you need to wet out the glass cloth, then apply the peel ply and wet that out so that its totally transparent.  I usually finish the balsa first with a coat of 75% non shrink dope just to help seal the surface a little and raise the grain, sanded lightly back till smooth again.  If there are any opaque, silvery patches once you have the PeelPly on, then you need to add more resin.  You shouldnt see any ‘puddles’ on the peelply but definitely needs to be transparent.  Ive used SP113 and also ZAP finishing resin with good results.  A gentle application from a heat gun helps thin it out.  I get my carbon and glass cloth from East Coast too and works well.  Had some poor results with Deluxe cloth which has a kind of starchy finish to it and doesn’t allow the resin through as well.  Lots of pin holes.

Peel ply isn’t t so clever on complex compound shapes,  but you can can ‘patchwork’ it together but a bit more effort rubbing out.

cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ