BMFA 100th anniversary world record attempt

Hot off the press.   Our coordinator has just sat through the video thing and it will not be verified by Guinnless, as I suspected. There will be record status apparently.   Verification will rest on the coordinator to get a group photo, a list of names and BMFA  numbers and then self-certify the numbers.

Guinness evidently expect a single venue and allegedly charge well to attend and count up.

My view, it’s more to do with a fun day and some esprit de corps, although the whiff of some sort of acknowledgement is undoubtedly helping to get c. 50% of our membership involved.

BTC

• Like 1

Hi, as the event organiser and BMFA Records Officer thanks for the positive words and enjoying the strategic thinking for getting the most models in the air from the various posts here. Thank you as well to all of the clubs and coordinators for embracing the record as well.

Just to clarify the record verification, if all goes to plan we will set a UK absolute record and submit the dossier for the FAI diploma when all of the results are in. The diploma is fantastic recognition of the achievement. We will then submit to Guinness after this. We have around 250 clubs registered at the moment making this the largest multi site model aircraft flying participation activity ever attempted in the UK and possibly the World!

I thank you again for your enthusiasm and hope you have a fantastic attempt. 

Simon Vaitkevicius

BMFA Records Officer 

• Like 5

Thanks Simon.

Our plans for the attempt are similar to that discussed above:

We will have 3 take off areas with pilot's assigned to each area so that there is an equal balance of long duration / short duration in each area.

Klaxon will sound to announce the start of takeoffs with one at a time 10 - 20 sec intervals between. Any model that fails on take off is left where it is until all models are off.

One main circuit to be flown but 3 altitude separation, top for gliders / larger models, middle for the Wot4 types and lower (smaller circuit) for ultra small RC e.g. Eachine Mustangs etc (they have a 20 minute duration!!!!)

Klaxon sound at 2 minutes to noon to make sure everyone is up and then chuckies move into position in area 2 only.

3 second countdown for launching chuckles who then retrieve from area 2.

Following retrieval long klaxon blast will announce that the landing 'window' is open.

Landing on areas 1 and 3 only as area 2 is for emergencies only.

Pilot's responsible for calling landing and for taxiing models to edge of areas 1 and 3, if model cannot be taxied off it stays where it is until all models down.

Full Flight Control instructions with diagrams sent out to all participating members as the standard club rules for the flying site have had to be modified to cater for this attempt.

We are expecting circa 50 people (members, their families and friends) with 20 RC and hopefully the same number of chuckies (will register those who want to be counted on Monday with temp BMFA membership)

We are running BBQs and making a fun day out of it with F3A demo from one of our club experts and flying experiences on buddy box for any that want to give it a go (just hope I have enough batteries!)

It's taken a lot of effort from a small group of people to get this organised but I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but if a flyer intends to take part with a model on DSM2 alongside an unusually high number of other transmitters all at the same time, I wonder if the older system will be able to cope? I have to say that I have a few models that I fly with my DSM2 DX7 and in a normal club environment with the usual number of models up together and at a couple of fly-ins where it can be busy with a half dozen or so other flyers on the flightline, I've never ever had a single problem. It occurs to me though that with possibly 20+up or even more for the record attempt, the older and not so agile protocol might not cope.

Edited by Cuban8

The weather is not lookng good for tomorrow's flights, with most forecasts showing the remains of the overnight rain that's coming, to still be around at midday.

Are there any contingency plans to do it on a different day if we all get rained off?

3 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

The weather is not lookng good for tomorrow's flights, with most forecasts showing the remains of the overnight rain that's coming, to still be around at midday.

Are there any contingency plans to do it on a different day if we all get rained off?

Like today? ?

Well we were at the field today getting things ready for tomorrow, portaloos in place, final strimming, temporary pits safety netting / fencing, flags and signs. Just leaves BBQs, tables and pop up gazebo to be done first thing, so, unless there is a deluge (current forecast is showing risk of rain at 20%) we’re are still going ahead.

Mind you it was rather warm today!

Edited by Ron Gray