BMFA 100th anniversary world record attempt

1 hour ago, kc said:

Do we know what the total number of planes in the air at the same time is yet? 

It will be increasingly difficult to match the number each year if elderly BMFA members'give up' and are not replaced, and any further loss of flying fields will have a bigger effect.    However we could improve the score by making special models - perhaps with more duration/ better visibility etc.

Lets not bring negativity into such a positive event. Lets push the positive side of our hobby and we will hopefully pull new blood in.

• Like 8

Why is it being negative to be realistic and point out we need more flying fields to make up for lost fields?   What we don't need is 'head in the sand' attitude and not facing reality.   Without a flying field ' new blood' wont't be able to fly ( my local club has lost both it's fields despite not causing any problems-  ) 

Edited by kc

2 hours ago, kc said:

Do we know what the total number of planes in the air at the same time is yet? 

It will be increasingly difficult to match the number each year if elderly BMFA members'give up' and are not replaced, and any further loss of flying fields will have a bigger effect.    However we could improve the score by making special models - perhaps with more duration/ better visibility etc.

Hi, @kcI an preparing a release to the press and participants this Friday with the official figure and will follow up at a later date with an 'In the air' webinar giving some additional information. stories and hopefully a further update as well. 

• Like 4

Interestingly, we seem to be attracting new younger members and there has been chat that we may not be able to accommodate many more members due to parking and flight line pressures.   I constantly remind the committee that we must be in a very lucky place but in fairness NLMFC is a very welcoming club with excellent training protocols, from both of which I benefitted greatly when I joined.

It might relate to our socio demographic and location, although there are several other clubs within half an hour of us.

There is no doubt in my mind that the record event was very beneficial with excellent esprit de corps throughout, and some good laughs too.   Well done BMFA.   Roll on the auction ….

BTC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

Interestingly, we seem to be attracting new younger members ....

There is no doubt in my mind that the record event was very beneficial with excellent esprit de corps throughout, and some good laughs too.   Well done BMFA.   

That's the exact opposite of our club.  We're a retirement area so have found 4 new members thus year - all of whom are retiring to the area (Bridlington/Filey/Scarborough). We had one teenager join the year before last but us retirees are well in the majority!

Agree with your last paragraph 100%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

the bbq idea never occured to us,

We had 3 on the go, one for morning bacon / sausage baps and then for lunchtime burgers, one for vegan (for quite a few family / friends) and one for lamb koftas. The club didn’t pay for the food so we asked for ‘donations’ and in the end we were able to donate the surplus £50 to the Air Ambulance.

• Like 4

KC

I don't think ours is the only club in the area with a mature membership.

It is something I have half an eye on and I will discuss with the committee as to how and if we approach increasing the junior membership.

So here one of the pictures our photographer took on the day for Ospreys Model Aircraft Club.

Sadly I did not know how grubby her camera had become prior to the shoot otherwise I would have cleaned it before hand.

IMGP0866m.thumb.jpg.e888b709846c23fd932d14bc62f1504a.jpg

• Like 3

Great seeing all the clubs efforts in support of the attempt.

Colchester MAC managed to got 22 models in the air for the attempt despite the efforts of the weather (why oh why could we have not had the weather we had on the Saturday). Great fun was had by all.   What was encouraging was we had members ranging from about 15 to well in their 80's flying, and of fairly new experience as model pilots to some who have most of their life.  Regardless all were very happy and pleased to have played their part, and all models survived the attempt. 1661669848_CMAC2.thumb.jpg.5fcb5718ae1fc4f861c7086ae9c0d9ba.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I wonder when we will have an update on the total number who participated?

Hi Ron,

I am still working on this and am hoping to have an official press release out very soon!

We are having to cross check the names and numbers and all paperwork with the database which is what is taking the time. 

Simon Vaitkevicius - BMFA Records Officer

Hi,

Just released the final figures. 3109 models in the air at 12 noon on the 15th May 2022 and 263 clubs took part. We have established a new UK absolute record and will be supplying the information to the FAI for the diploma. An application for the World record will follow.

A full statement can be seen on the BMFA Facebook page.

Thank you to all who participated and for the very positive feedback! I will be releasing more information in the following weeks regarding the attempt. 

Simon Vaitkevicius

BMFA Records Officer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4