Gyro/Stabilized Receiver

1 hour ago, Romeo Whisky said:

I can recommend the Lemon 6ch stabilized DSM2/DSMX receiver with diversity aerials.  You won't need the Gear channel on a Chipmunk so you can use that for the flaps.

I will second that, have them in a couple of models.  On the Stabiliser-PLUS model you can set the failsafe so that on loss of signal the stabiliser levels the model rather than just cutting the throttle. I set mine up so that on signal loss the model is level in the roll axis with a slight nose down attitude. On the one occasion it kicked in the model was half way through a loop, the motor cut, the model rolled upright, levelled out and performed a downwind landing with no damage.

Are the Lemon stabilised receivers OK in an IC model, I've used the cheaper stabilisers (orange etc) in electric models and they have been fine, but never in an IC model. Some of the more expensive gyro/stabilisers (Multiplex Wingstabi and Jeti assist rxs that I know of) have the option to filter out certain frequencies to make them usable in IC models, do the Lemon ones do that or is it not needed with them.

12 minutes ago, Charles Hart said:

To be perfectly honest I don't know. I have searched a number of sites and not come up with an answer – I have a Lemon 7 channel rx with a satelite.

No worries fitting Lemon to IC Charles

Follow the fitting instructions and start off with low gain

Charles

It depends on which version of the Lemon stab rx you have and your piloting skill level but my advice is set the gyro to 'rate' control rather than full 'auto'.

'Rate' mode means the gyro only reacts to sudden changes in the planes orientation, you are still totally flying the plane but if my experience is anything to go by you will be amazed just how smoothly it flies.

However do make absolutely sure the gyro is acting in the correct sense, i.e. it is moving the control surface to oppose the attitude change in all 3 axis. Remember the direction of the gyro reaction in each axis is set by the tiny dip switches on the rx. It pays to set the gain higher during set up to get a clearly visible reaction and then turn it down for the initial flight. Get it wrong and a crash is almost inevitable.  

Once you are at a safe height try switching the the gyro on & off to give you a direct comparison of gyro/no gyro.

Have fun.

• Thanks 1