RCM&E has new owners….

Reading through the press release I think that the magazine will will change, but not quickly or drastically.

"We have owned these magazines for over 15 years but with our business focus changing within the group we have concluded that the titles’ future plans are best served by new ownership, where there is portfolio scale to benefit and add value to these titles,” said Owen Davies, MyTime Media’s Chief Executive."

My reading of this is that of financial problems and the need to quickly redress them by selling off assets.

Isn't this what happened at Traplet ?

At least we know now that the magazine is now in the hands of a company with a fairly secure base that continues to support minority hobby interests.

At the end of the day it is all down to marketing and has been for many years in printed media. In cases such as the BMFA magazine they are marketing information to their members and it is a tool to do that. Much of the expense in producing the magazine comes from the subscription charges with advertising from companies that also support the BMFA in other ways. That and utilising the time of people already employed by the organisation.

My own view is that long term there will be an amalgamation of different types of modelling magazines and this will be driven by the reduced number of product suppliers to the model making hobbies, who in turn will want to advertise to the widest possible audience for the least outlay. Another reason would be the fact that the number of people capable and willing to produce these magazines ( and the articles in them) is also dwindling, due partly to the ever decreasing number of people interested in these styles of model making. 

Food for thought ?

:classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 15:05, Erfolg said:

Will the change have any impact on this web site? A real triumph that the Ashbies have achieved.

This website is a very powerful tool and many modellers are regular viewers of it but don't bother to register and have no intention of posting their thoughts or comments. Just curious, but how many 'hits' in total does the RCM&E forum get per week?.

The new owners could benefit by asking the forum members ( a fairly good selection of model pilots and builders ) what we would want to make us buy the magazine in future.

My comment would be that  "RCM&E"  doesn't immediately tell the public what the magazine is about -I like the title but thats not the point! -    maybe RCM&Drones would attract newcomers & sell more from newsagents shelves.  

The comment by John , that centred on job losses, immediately garnered my general sympathy. At the same time, i did not and do not have clear picture in my mind about whom was being referred to.

The more I thought about the issue the greater became my perspective of who is adversely affected. It will include Traplet Press. I then thoiught there are probably a wider circle of people, potentially the existing writers, as focus will change with time, also those involved in selling advertising space, will the new owner have their existing department, the printers of the mag could be also be subject to change. I suspect that many people will be impacted, potentially not for the good, although some will eventually conclude things were for the best.

IMO it is not just the obvious workers that I feel for.

As for Traplet, as Kevin (and probably others ) have alluded to, the mags must not have being laying "Golden Eggs". I wonder how this will aspect the new owners are going to address?  My pessimist side suggests, we trad, type modellers, are less numerous than ever, or perhaps we are spending less, maybe both, who knows? Again as suggested by a suggested tittle change, everything changes with time. IMO changing the title will not have any significant affect on who may buy it for the first time, it may be the final straw for many current purchasers, again who knows.

I have seen our hobby titles disappear from the shelfs of the newsagents over the years. Perhaps a very recent surprise is that some of the places where RCM&E could be found, no longer (appeared) to stock it. On a positive note I did purchase a mag for fling scale modellers (not an awful lot in though). RCM&E still remains the best that is currently available.

When I can find mags for Tractors, Land Rovers, barges, there must be space for a mag for us.

A very positive aspect is I thought that Sarik would struggle with the short kits and plans. So I have often been mistaken.  Hmm how will they be affected?

Edited by Erfolg
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Erfolg said:

The more I thought about the issue the greater became my perspective of who is adversely affected. It will include Traplet Press.

Surely Erfolg you did not mean Traplet - that company seems to be a thing of the past and company info says Traplet is dissolved!   

1 hour ago, kc said:

Surely Erfolg you did not mean Traplet - that company seems to be a thing of the past and company info says Traplet is dissolved!   

Yes, Traplet used to publish Radio Control Model World and closed down some time ago.  They were based at Upton on Severn IIRC and were occasionally subject to flooding. 

They also published a model boat magazine and I bought the plans and CNC cut wood pack for the Thames sailing barge I (partly) built.  They used some old data for CNC cutting and there was a serious error in the hull formers.  As a result I got a full refund (£90 IIRC) which was pretty good as I managed to get round the problem.  I'm a poor builder but an ace bodger ?

KC, who ever the previous owners were, it matters less than they will also probably be losers. I doubt that the sale was of a business doing extremely well. Without these people who try to build a business, more often than not from a passion, we all are potentially losers. I am so old I remember MAP, Model Aeronautical Press.

Many of the small business who advertise and undertake a business from home, are more often than not driven by a passion for the hobby, far less than real monetary reward, they just want to make a modest profit. No profit and the family ask, why, when it gets in the way of family life etc?

For me it is bad news.

I cannot but think of the Ashbies, how much of their lives have been put into the mag. Yes, others will have a go, and I wish them well.

On 11/04/2022 at 14:22, Erfolg said:

The comment by John , that centred on job losses, immediately garnered my general sympathy. At the same time, i did not and do not have clear picture in my mind about whom was being referred to.

The more I thought about the issue the greater became my perspective of who is adversely affected. It will include Traplet Press. I then thoiught there are probably a wider circle of people, potentially the existing writers, as focus will change with time, also those involved in selling advertising space, will the new owner have their existing department, the printers of the mag could be also be subject to change. I suspect that many people will be impacted, potentially not for the good, although some will eventually conclude things were for the best.

IMO it is not just the obvious workers that I feel for.

As for Traplet, as Kevin (and probably others ) have alluded to, the mags must not have being laying "Golden Eggs". I wonder how this will aspect the new owners are going to address?  My pessimist side suggests, we trad, type modellers, are less numerous than ever, or perhaps we are spending less, maybe both, who knows? Again as suggested by a suggested tittle change, everything changes with time. IMO changing the title will not have any significant affect on who may buy it for the first time, it may be the final straw for many current purchasers, again who knows.

I have seen our hobby titles disappear from the shelfs of the newsagents over the years. Perhaps a very recent surprise is that some of the places where RCM&E could be found, no longer (appeared) to stock it. On a positive note I did purchase a mag for fling scale modellers (not an awful lot in though). RCM&E still remains the best that is currently available.

When I can find mags for Tractors, Land Rovers, barges, there must be space for a mag for us.

A very positive aspect is I thought that Sarik would struggle with the short kits and plans. So I have often been mistaken.  Hmm how will they be affected?

Seems like an awful lot of speculation and supposition in this thread tbh. I think we are better off waiting to see what happens and being guided by the current Editors words, which are actually pretty positive...

"FROM RCM&E'S EDITOR

Just prior to finalising the May issue I was informed that MyTime Media would be transferring all their model titles to a new publisher, Mortons Media Group, as of 1st April. The sale includes RCM&E, plus all her sister titles - Model Boats, Model Engineer and Model Engineers’ Workshop. Our website and forum at modelflying.co.uk have also transferred to Mortons.

Although this came as a big surprise, I have to say that I have been very reassured by all my dealings with Mortons management and staff in the past couple of weeks. Everyone seems to have a real buzz about them, and they have given a warm and generous welcome to all the existing staff working on their new model titles. I am looking forward to pushing on and developing Radio Control Models & Electronics, backed up by all my new colleagues at Mortons Media.

As far as our readers and advertisers are concerned the changeover should be fairly seamless and I hope you will notice very little difference in how RCM&E looks and how you access your copy, whether it be by a subscription, via digital or purchased from a news outlet. So, please sit back, relax and settle in to read your favourite R/C model aeroplane magazine in the same way that you have become accustomed to in recent years. Kevin"

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

Matty, I am not sure that I am speculating, as thinking a whole lot of individuals will be affected. There will be change, that is the nature of the future.

I started  modelling when models were rubber powered or gliders, with CL being the new kid on the block, then diesels arrived on mass, and CL became prevalent followed by Single channel and so on. Not many can see the future, and I have not been so blessed (or cursed). Being old I have felt change as part of aging, much for the better, with some hard times as well.

If you think I am speculating to what will happen, so be it. However I do know that in the future there will be change, as long as there is a future, if that is speculation, I have no argument.

As to my chronology of changes in the hobby over the time, you are most certainly correct, what is certain is that the hobby has changed over time. Not everything happens sequentially, often there will be concurrent events and each persons experiences will differ.

One thing I am certain of, is that I cannot predict the future. In my case many events come out of the blue, what I may think is inevitable, does not always occur.

In case of the mag and its new owners, it is not unreasonable to assume that they will be reviewing all aspects of the current operation. Why, it would be irresponsible to just proceed without understanding their new purchase. I am sure this will lead to change. However I am not speculating  as to what they will do and when, although the actual process is predicable, as it is text book and logical stuff.

I feel for all those who  are or will be affected, as most, if not all, there will be under stress and also some there will be real loss. To think my my concern is will my mag remain available, shows how shallow you can be.

3 hours ago, Erfolg said:

However I do know that in the future there will be change, as long as there is a future, if that is speculation, I have no argument.

On a universal scale, that's not speculation because you are stating the inevitable. However stating what the nature of the changes will or might be, without solid evidence, would be speculation. You (and others) have stated the nature of the changes that you think will or might happen as a result of RCM&E's new ownership - that's speculation.

You're chronological list of changes in the hobby is categorically wrong in just about every respect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Having read through a load of these posts I can't help thinking that the new owners must be wondering at the mentality of a lot of their readers.

I don't think so Pete.

They also produce magazines for born again bikers.   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I hope that this is not going to be typical now that the magazine has passed to new owners.

I have a Print & Digital subscription - with the digital being delivered by Pockectmags. Today I received the May 2022 edition in the post, which caught me by surprise as normally I get a notification that the digital version is available to view on Pocketmags about 6 to 7 days before the printed issue arrives in the post. I checked on Pocketmags, and the May issue is nowhere to be seen. I have contacted both Pocketmags and sent a PM to Beth to see if this could be corrected. Normally I get a reply from Pocketmags by return, Beth can take a little longer, but I have heard nothing.

Has anyone else with the Print & Digital subscription been able to access the Digital version via Pocketmags?

With the price of " ARTF"  kits now sky high and climbing a good plan build looks a lot more appealing. Nigel Hawes plans from years ago inc the small electric Hawker Hunter etc were simple builds and great fun to fly. The issue when looking around at club flyers is are there any designer builders who have the dedication needed supply the plans needed for a monthly publication. Not just the concept plan but a plan for a flying model with all the niggles ironed out. 

In the past in many mags  plans have been published that needed a lot of remedial work to get into the air. 

Good luck and hope it all goes well for the staff and new owners.

1 hour ago, Christopher Long 1 said:

I hope that this is not going to be typical now that the magazine has passed to new owners.

I have a Print & Digital subscription - with the digital being delivered by Pockectmags. Today I received the May 2022 edition in the post, which caught me by surprise as normally I get a notification that the digital version is available to view on Pocketmags about 6 to 7 days before the printed issue arrives in the post. I checked on Pocketmags, and the May issue is nowhere to be seen. I have contacted both Pocketmags and sent a PM to Beth to see if this could be corrected. Normally I get a reply from Pocketmags by return, Beth can take a little longer, but I have heard nothing.

Has anyone else with the Print & Digital subscription been able to access the Digital version via Pocketmags?

Same here, I got my print mag today one day before advertised publishing date but no digital edition on Pocket Mags yet. Likewise I usually get the digital copy about a week before. Please let us know what the response is. Good issue this month as always.

Although, we as customers reasonably expect the service and content to continue unchanged what ever has occurred.

The reality of a change in ownership is going to involve some changes, even it is only banking arrangements. In reality there will be many more.

Engine Doctors observations with respect to the price point of many models, eg +£1,000. The market of these models, at least in the UK, will be limited, and with rising prices in all areas of household expenditure, will probably shrink further. I understand why advertisers in the mag will push these products, as the value of the sales margin will normally be much better than a £100 model. I can also appreciate that distributers will be inclined to submit this type of model for revue. If the trend continues, i am not sure that many modellers will enthused, even as aspirational, would love, item. 

It was queried how many have built free plans from RCM&E title. In my case at least 3, a TH Clean Sweep,  two PM Cassutts a various sizes. There have possibly more inclusding a Pushy Cat from another mag. There are some who do build from the free plans.

My subscription is now due although it still refers to My Time Media with cheques still made payable to them?  I did notice a small price rise and the my annual one off payment is now the same as DDM.?

Had both print and digital last time but don't think I ever accessed a digital copy/archive, so binned digital this time round. Love the free plans and have built several and will build this months Gyroo. 

Fingers crossed there continues to be enough contributors to keep it full and interesting ? 

• Like 1