How Many People Still Fly on 35MHz?

EvilC57

I've been selling off a number of old modelling items on eBay over the last few months on behalf of our club, with the proceeds going to charity.

Someone recently gave me a dozen or so assorted 35MHz Futaba receivers, and a variety of Tx/Rx crystals to try and sell.

To my amazement most of them have now sold to people all over the UK. Which begs the question, how many people still fly on 35MHz?

Most in our club are exclusively on 2.4GHz (we did away with our peg board years ago), and of my 20 or so models only one is still on 35MHz.

A few of my clubmates still use 35mhz, for some models and I'd given away a number of receivers, but predominantly the vast majority have switched over to 2.4ghz systems. I do miss the wind indicator on the end of my aerial, but definitely don't miss anything else about 35mhz.

I still have my Mutliplex 3030 transmitter (though I also have a Frsky DiY 2.4gHz module for it) but, apart from a few models hidden away that haven't been flown for years, I only use it on a couple of petrol powered models (that also haven't been in the air for a while) - a Mahers Thunderbird with a Zenoha 26 and GP Super Stearman with a 30cc Mackay engine.

Just about everything else is flown with my Frsky Horus X10 - made easier with a Jumper multi-protocol RF module plugged into the rear housing. 

9 minutes ago, John Stainforth said:

One thing to be careful about, if you go back to 35 MHz, is to remember to pull the TX aerial out. (How do I know?!)

I use a base loaded antenna on my Mux3030 so that's not a problem for me ?   I once did a test flight for someone and noticed we were getting a few glitches and landed.  It was then I noticed I'd forgotten to pull that antenna out!  Oops.

Every plane I have of high value (or that I value highly) is still on 35MHz JR or Futaba gear.  While this is primarily an instance of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', I also just have higher confidence in Japanese-branded radio gear.  I use 2.4GHz FrSky modules and rxs for my less 'invested' aircraft.

i keep adding to my 35mhz fleet as i have run out of 2.4ghz rx's and had a bunch of 35mhz jobs still spare. As the models recently finished off will not fly at public shows i just used the 35 mhz gear. 

I think i have 6 models on 35 and 7 on 2.4. 

The thing that will finally put me off is when my FF9 finally falls apart as its looking quite sorry for itself externally. If i am able to keep it well serviced then i see no reason not to use it. 

• Like 1

Yep, still have a few 35 mhz models, so much so that when the rudder pot on my trusty 35 mhz Cockpit Sx was causing some minor servo movement around the centre, I found a barely used Cockpit Sx for around £30. Also have picked up a few MPX IPD synthesized Rxs so don't need to worry about crystals. Just small glow planes on 35 mhz all my electric stuff and gliders are on 2.4 so I can use the telemetry.

Me too, though not much flying on any band lately!

I use quite a few synthesized 35m rxs now they've become affordable second-hand, and revamped Microns make great 35m single channel receivers!

Several of us over on mode-zero have converted older sets to 35 using Hitec or Jamara modules, they work great, no problems, my own include a Macgregor MR200 and my old DigiAce 4 from the mid 70s !

Cheers

Phil

Worth pointing out, I think, is that 35Mhz was fought for and is exclusively for the use of aero modellers and is regulated as such. I don't think that there is any such exclusivity on 2.4Ghz and as the band gets more and more uses and higher power public transmitters problems could arise. As a community I thing we should all spare a little effort to keep 35Mhz active as an alternative frequency system. I think that the powers that be would be only too ready to take away the 35Mhz allocation if they saw it was not being utilised. A possible case of 'use it or lose it'....!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Possibly but 35 MHz isn't great for data transmission, the higher frequencies are much better for this.

The worse transmission of data and the slowest is the brain to the hand to the stick,,,?

No 35 mhz users here although the french federation later allowed it as the Gendarmerie amongst others used it.

• 2 weeks later...

One of our indoor fliers uses 35Meg for an old brushed heli. The tx and rx ariels seem veeeerrrryyyyy long. He has no issues - and no frequency clashes!

Personally I see no issues with using 35Meg if you already have it.  More modern equipment, as has been said, is much more versatile and capable.

This is an interesting discussion but I wonder how many of us have considered why 2.4Ghz was chosen by R/C equipment manufacturers to use in model radio control? In most countries there was already available  a UHF band which in most cases was little used and could have provided most of the facilities we enjoy in modern 2.4Gjhz sets. I recall that the first use of 2.4 Ghz for model control was in sets designed for use in model cars. The rationale was the freedom from interference and the large number of models that could be operated simultaneously. Of course it wasn't necessary to have a large number of crystals that were essential if you were racing, using 27/40 Mhz clashes were bound to happen when involved in heats when racing.. When 2.4Ghz sets arrived for  model aircraft control they offered no more facilities than a moderate to high end 35Mhz set. However it was soon realised that because the Tx/Rx rf stages 'talked' to each other  many more facilities could be offered for example telemetry and almost unlimited numbers of control channels. Though what one can use 16 plus channels for I have no idea.

However from the manufacturers point of view 2.4Ghz was heaven sent. Previously when frequencies from 27Mhz to75Mhz using both AM and FM were in use the manufacturers had to produce rf stages for each frequency that they produced, for markets around the world. Not a cheap undertaking. 2.4 Ghz on the other hand can be tweaked in firmware to account for differences in markets around the world. For example, Bandwidth and rf output. The rf modules are of the shelf items used in a wide range of 2.4 Ghz devices. There is a significant cost saving in making 2.4 Ghz equipment.

So have we been conned into using 2.4Ghz when for the majority of users the 35Mhz allocation is more than adequate for our needs?

Tin hat on and hide under stairs?

The only really big advantage of 2.4gHz over 35Mhz is the removal of the chance of being 'shot down' by another transmitter on the same channel.  That's particularly an advantage at model air shows, particularly one with trade presence and radio gear is being sold - and switched on.  The rest is just 'nice to haves' like telemetry.  I suppose sophisticated mixing facilities (eg OpenTX) could also work on 35Mhz.  My old Mux3030 has quite complicated mixing on 35MHz.