ESM Mustang powered by Laser 160 in-line twin - one pass too many!

Ron Gray

Now that I'm happy with it the plan is to do a cockpit fit-out, gun ports and finish off the exhaust ports. The only problem I foresee is that I like flying it so can I bear for it to be grounded? Oh well there are are several others to chose from!!!

The engine sounds awesome, where can i get one? ?

And i nearly ran out of fuel flying my trusty La7 yesterday. A clubmate had his 240v powered spitfire up there so we went for some twin twin action as the La7 currently has a 240v as well. We were having loads of fun but i forgot i swapped out the dual 14oz tanks for dual 11oz when i changed the engine so ignored my timer beep as i 'knew' i had plenty of extra fuel. Alas, the change in tanks meant i did not have as large a reserve as i thought and barely 90 seconds after the timer went off i started getting coughs and splutters with one pot dropping out a minute or so later just at touchdown. 

After this i went in for a slow run retune (changed fuels to the new laser 5 low oil so had to reset the needles) and this made the engine not only run much better but use less fuel so the following flights had a little more insurance time. 

Sadly no video of our flights, but it did sound great ?  

Yes D.D. you are quite correct, unfortunately I think that it was all onlookers who laughed, not just the one. Hopefully with the larger prop I will be using less throttle (=less fuel) but then it's a warbird so 'pedal to the metal'. I've just got to force myself to land after 6 minutes and check the tank contents so that I can recalibrate. But it may mean fitting a larger tank, this one is only 15oz, but that may mean re-forming the cut out in the wing.....................

The .............., the bad and the just plain ugly:

All flights today were with a 17x8 APC prop = more grunt, less noise.

First flight of the day saw a loss of air pressure which mean that the air down retracts didn't so a belly landing was called for - no damage done!

The bad

Having found the cause of the air loss, 3 more flights took place without mishap (boring videos!) then there was this one, I misjudged the touch down and wasn't quick enough to react!

The just plain ugly