Use of a R-XSR as a secondary Rx

Andy J

From what I see on the RX8R instructions the R-XSR needs to have its SBUS Out connected to the RX8R Sbus In.

Next query is how do I turn off the telemetry on the R-XSR.  Should I first bind the R-XSR with no telemetry and then bind the RX8R with telemetry On?

I have not done this yet but that is the way I would tackle and test it thoroughly.

Are you doing this for redundancy reasons or for more channels (in which case bind the secondary Rx with telemetry off and channels 9-16)?

Edited by Andy Gates
My lousy typing

Yes Andy using the second receiver for redundancy. 

Any suggestions how to test the set-up?  Thinking I could disconnect the slave, then mask the main Rx antennas with foil whilst setting the Tx in range check mode and note the RSI reading. Then connect the slave and verify the RSI has increased.  However I don't know how or when the main Rx decides to swap to the secondary Rx. Does it require total signal loss or keep swapping between both dependent on which Rx gets the best signal?

If you have two transmitters, bind each Rx to a different Tx, then if you turn the Tx bound to the RX8R off, the other Tx should then provide the control.

If only one Tx available, bind the two receivers using different receiver numbers. If you then swap the receiver number on the Tx between the two, you should see one Rx lose signal and the other gain signal, but keep control of the servos.

I believe the RX8R will use the data from the SBUS in if it misses a small number of packets (sent every 9mS), it may do so if only a single packet is lost. Given only 8 channels are sent in a single packet, and SBUS passes all 16 channels, it probably waits for a couple of packets to be missed.

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

If only one Tx available, bind the two receivers using different receiver numbers. If you then swap the receiver number on the Tx between the two, you should see one Rx lose signal and the other gain signal, but keep control of the servos.

I think to do that you would need one RX bound to the internal module and the other to an external module, different receiver no's shouldn't both work at the same time when bound to the same module whether internal or external. Changing the model No when binding the second RX should render the first RX unbound.

This is for testing the dual receiver setup only. When the Tx is using the receiver number of the main Rx, that Rx provides the servo control. When the Tx uses the receiver number of the "backup" Rx, the main Rx loses signal and so should use the SBUS data from the "backup" Rx and still provide servo control. This tests that both receivers are working and the main receiver is getting the SBUS signal from the "backup" receiver.

For flying, you would bind both receivers using the same receiver number, with the "backup" receiver bound with no telemetry.

Mike