EFlite V22 Osprey

Dave Bran

I was given one of these with a stripped motor pod tilt servo, marked A380. The unit was only too obviously clearly FAR too small and tiny for the loads involved.

The dealer and online manual list the replacement as SPMA380.  I bought two as advised and these are MUCH larger and fully metal geared.

BUT............  They do not fit the plastic wing housing, nor the plastic clamp, nor, being larger when fitted flat bottom to bottom as they were, they are too wide and put the arms way out of line with the required link alignment.

The dealer and HH have been contacted (twice in the case of HH Support) and both have chosen not to help!

I have searched for a PICTURE of the fitment of these to gain some clue on how they DO fit without success.

Can anyone please provide a picture of the tilt servos in place in the wing?

Finally received a reply after I sent another mail to HH USA with regard the wing tilt servos for the Osprey. Replacements advised being far too large to fit!

I listed:-

Code on Servos installed  (A380)

Code printed in online manual and supplied to me as advised by dealer (SPMA380)

I asked for a photo of the model with SPMA380 fitted.

As I had all the previous times.

And then I get the below……………………….    IS IT ME????????

Note: I could possibly have cut around and fitted metal gear 9g’s I already had, but bought their recommended (and expensive) replacements as the old ones were a non-standard size. No dimensions were offered in the sales info or manual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, 

What servo are you trying to install? There should be rally no issue with installing the servos on the V-22. Unfortunately with the model being discontinued we do not have one physically any longer. 

Thank You,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I despair........................ ?

Have searched for about an hour the discontinued info as you have, since Sunday Dave

and like you, have not found a fitted diagram.

this may help others help you.

E-flite A380 9g Sub-Micro MG Servo, SPMA380 are Very small servos.

IMG_20220503_083330.jpg

Edited by Denis Watkins

Thanks Denis.

The SPMA380 is 4mm deeper, its pretty much a std 9g size, the A380 fitted were considerably smaller in ALL dimensions, and mounted as drawing the SPMA380's puts the links 8mm further apart.  There is not enough body clearance for that, even if you cut away all the impact moulded housing, ditch the clamps, etc, to get the servo into the wing, and anyway it would put the links way out of line. Not enough length to crank the links, and moving the torque rod control arm outboard is near impossible on a well glued in no maintanance intended assembly.

Dave,

I think you have the wrong replacement servos. Looking at the manual (online), the two tilt servos, items 21 in the diagram, are shown as SPMSA3080, 5g sub-micro analog servo. Search for these online and they come up at a number of suppliers, though most seem to be awaiting stock until July.

The SPMA380 that you have is a 9g servo, which is the next case size up. So it sounds like your dealer has sold you the wrong servos.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/315070/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuUm_KfOee0CSCtLVqxzOHQEnIALy5J-MFtWnUHZSd1oTWcNMQlfpL4aAm5cEALw_wcB

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/309714/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuWU--BeO0x65KTWEp8dEeC8XvDlDCuIEEnGZiHEnkpqjmgLlywJBzMaAo_mEALw_wcB

Here's the manual...

EFL9650-Manual-EN.pdf

Confusing as the numbers are slightly similar.

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks Denis and Brian,

Dear old HH support didn't note the servo error even though it was made clear. And the retailer tripped up.

The original servo being clearly marked A380 would not lean you towards the "right" one, so can't really blame them.

Have to see what the retailer wants to do about it!

I had two similar experiences with HH...

1) I couldn't for the life of me get an ESC in an electric Viking to work.  All they could offer was a cut and paste from the instructions from a different model with a different ESC.  I even sent them videos of my issue, and scans of the correct instructions.... useless

2) I broke a plastic part on the tail of my UMX F16. According to HH, the plastic parts were included in a spare parts set, and shown in the picture. I bought the part in question - no plastic bits included. SMC were great, and assumed the parts had been omitted or removed, so sent me a new set.  Still no plastic parts.  I had several email exchanges with HH and never got an acceptable response to the question I asked (in several ways) - "are the plastic parts included in this spares item? If not, how can I obtain them".  I sent several photographs of the broken part, and the contents of the set.  Their response was always "you need this set" - the same set I'd already had 2 of. 

Useless.  

Re the original post, I'm afraid I can't help. 

Except to suggest trying to find a donor on ebay.  If I  ever get another EFlite plane that's a real 'keeper', I'll be buying some spares because they'll discontinue it in 12 months!

Hope you get it fixed....

SO, to bottom this out, I have been sent the wrong servos. (this despite asking for the tilt servo by model name and only stating what was written on the servo label)

The correct servos (coded differently to original) are out of stock everywhere, indicative if not confirmation of a design fault. Some sites are showing possibly July.

The original servos are simply far too fragile for tilt rotor use, and since the "engine" pod comes so close to the ground, especially on grass, and a true vertical take off is less likely than a very short forward move, the pod will often get drag loaded, and that is more than the puny plastic gears can handle.

Are the new changed code servos any better, or the same?  HH will not help.

Major cosmetic changing (read ruining!) surgery would be required to fit a more suitable servo.

I guess at this point I give up and it becomes another cupboard filler in case I can ever find suitable replacements.

Give us some accurate measurements of the original servos Dave,

You know, there are 100s of micro servos available.

E-flite would not have invented a new servo for this model,

They have already used an available servo and designed straps for their model to hold them in the wing.

• Like 1

Dave,

Totally agree with Denis. If you want to go with servos of physically the same size then you may as well buy some cheapo ones such as these...

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/hxt500-5g--8kg--10sec-micro-servo-1016-p.asp

I'm not suggesting that these are the same size, as we don't know the size of your broken ones, they are just an indication.

Alternatively, find a way of fitting the ones that you have; perhaps mount them the other way around on the bottom of the wing and cut some clearance slots in the fuselage sides to clear the cases? That way the output arms can be made to line up with the torque rods. You may need to reverse that channel on the transmitter if the alternative servos go the other way.

I wouldn't worry too much about making cosmetic surgery. At least it can be made to work again.

Brian.