Chilli Breeze - Irvine 36

Hello

I had 2 Chilli Breezes back in the 90s, one built up wing and one foam.   I’ve always thought they were a great little flier.  Just bought the plan again off Sarik so will get started soon.  Good to see a couple of Chilli threads on here already.  

back in the day I managed to squeeze an Irvine 40 Mk2 up front but will go with an NIB Irvine 36 with a Weston mimi pipe.

I’ve never had a model with retracts but I fancy building this one with electric retracts.  It will probably be a built up wing.  Can anyone advise suitable retracts for a model this size and construction.

cheers

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

Haha ... indeed.  They are a lovely motor. I have a low hours one too that I have in an OD mini profile Loaded Dice.

I might use that one as I need to make a new fuse for the Mini Profile LD.  I bungled a landing, came in too fast, bounced, floated up, tip stalled and whipped the tail off and cracked front end off.  Lol, maybe built a bit too lightweight in his case.

Spotted the NIB Irvine 36 at a swap meet a few years back.  £30 I think !

Edited by MikeQ

Irvine 36 on a home made pipe is the combination I had on my Breeze, more than enough power for unlimited verticals.

As for the undercarriage I fixed it to the fuz just in front of the wings, this makes it less likely to nose over on landings and eliminates the possibility of damaging the wing structure.

Hi Andy

i hear what you are saying but it changes he look of the model somewhat.  I’ll stick with the wing mounted UC.  Our site is pretty smooth fortunately.

Cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ

The Chilli Breeze plan is now on Outerzone if you want to download.  Also the original article.  Outerzone has the larger version called Chilli Wind as well.

Worth noting that another thread mentions tailplane breakage on the Breeze.

A few months back the designer- Mike Delacole- suggested he was working on a new version and it might be electric.   Could be worth waiting for?

Hi, both my old ones back in the day suffered from rudder failure.  I snagged the ground with the top of the rudder on inverted high speed flybys resulting in instant re-kitting.  Not be trying that with an Irvine 36 these days ?

Not sure why I didn’t think of Outerzone.  I’ve often downloaded plans and the local Prontaprint is very handy at printing them out.  Why didn’t you remind me before I started his thread ?

cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ

I also have the plan, but I have an issue with the wing ribs. I cannot see the sandwich method working

on this model. I have cut the template’s and that’s it. If only they had all the rids in profile on the drawing.

The Fuselage formers are all cut and laying about somewhere, and that’s as far as I have got.

I've wanted to build the Chilli Breeze since the plan was given free in RCM&E 1994 but lack of rib drawings has always prevented me from building. A few times I've dug the plan out and threatend to build one but it's never happened. One day......

Last year I downloaded from Outerzone another Mike Delacole design, the Rival that has a straight wing so I only needed to make one wing template and cut out the rest of the ribs from it. Fly's beautifully.

Phil

Well the Chilli Breeze rib drawings are here together with a wing plan.    Also the Chilli Wind version is there too.   All done by Harry of Edmonton Canada at the request of someone on our forum.  Nice international effort!

Edited by kc

2 hours ago, Outrunner said:

I've wanted to build the Chilli Breeze since the plan was given free in RCM&E 1994 but lack of rib drawings has always prevented me from building.

Foam wing, easy peasy, get someone to cut and skin one for you. Hardest part of the build is done then.

Rest of Chilli is all straight lines (except the wing saddle) - simple to translate from the plan.

Thanks EB and KC no excuses now I really must build a Chilli Breeze, probably this winter.

Nigel, good idea but I really don't mind building wings I find it therapeutic lining up all those ribs and seeing a wing develop from the board. Much cheaper too.

Cheers 

Phil

12 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

Much cheaper too

You've seen the price of Ecuador gold lately? ?

You might find a veneered foam effort now comes in cheaper than an all balsa wing...

I have started using Hobbycraft foamboard for ribs and internal parts now. It's properly cheaper. For ribs, it is much quicker and easier to cut out with scalpel and sand to shape, too. Nothing new there though - Dereck Woodward had foamboard ribs on his plans in the late 90s (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11734). Foamsafe cyano works well.

Edited by Nigel R

30 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

You've seen the price of Ecuador gold lately? ?

You might find a veneered foam effort now comes in cheaper than an all balsa wing...

I have started using Hobbycraft foamboard for ribs and internal parts now. It's properly cheaper. For ribs, it is much quicker and easier to cut out with scalpel and sand to shape, too. Nothing new there though - Dereck Woodward had foamboard ribs on his plans in the late 90s (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11734). Foamsafe cyano works well.

Yes, balsa is now eye watering expensive but I do have a reasonable stash under my bench. I have been experimenting with Depron that I also have a small stash of. I do need to get some foamboard though. When I said built up I didn't say it would be balsa but I need the rib profiles as it won't be a cut foam wing.

Phil

Hi

yes, Balsa is unbelievable.  I have a decent stash but am loathed to use it.   I could eat the price but it’s getting hold of decent quality stuff for whatever you do pay.  I’ve asked this question before and it’s kind of gone round the doors but, where would you get 8’x4’ x4” sheets (or as close to that size) of foam for cutting wings these days.  Used to be able to get single sheets from the LocalModelShop but that was 20 years ago.  

I like built up wings but foam can be useful.  Used my last little piece a year or two ago to cut a 1980s Obelix slope soarer flying wing if any of you remember that far back.

Edited by MikeQ

26 minutes ago, Tom Flynn 1 said:

Thank you Steve, I’m building an old Cat 25 by Henry Gilks at the moment. So I know what’s next.

just need to arrange the 2nd mortgage so I can buy the wood.

thanks again.

Tom

A pleasure Tom, I could join you with a build of my own, with a bit of encouragement in the form of progress updates of your build. ? maybe the Chilli Wind and electric though. ?

Steve