Reversing The Wing Twist

One component of a partially completed kit I have been given is the framed up bottom wing. The kit is an old DB Richthofen and the structure is open with no leading edge sheeting or spar webbing. I had been intending to fit LE sheeting on the top and webbing hoping to stiffen up the wing a bit to reduce the risk of warping before I use HK translucent covering film.

The wing has been stored in various people's attics for a long time and I have found the right side in particular has over 6mm wash-in. I am wanting to get it flat or even a bit of wash-out. But I doubt leading edge sheeting and a web installed while the wing is pinned flat would enough to hold it straight when released from the board.

I steamed the wing for only a short while and left it weighted for a few hours but that made no difference. Interested to know if others think that steaming it for longer or wetting down and then leaving weighted down for a lot longer may help.20220501_211734.thumb.jpg.76dbf5c460049a1e8d199937f03763bc.jpg

My wings are often "a bit out" until webbed and sheeted.

If the structure isn't going to have webbing or sheeting, all the rigidity is in the covering anyway, so just fix it when you are covering. i.e. some careful application of heat to shrinking the film in order to hold it straight.

In a similar vein, the old dope and tissue methods for open structures involved pinning things down to hold them in place whilst the shrinking happened.

Edited by Nigel R