EDF throttle setup.

Frank Day

Relatively new to EDF and am having trouble getting the throttle to work correctly. Only operates in final 1/3rd of stick movement and not at full power. I did run it up on a servo tester and it gives full beans.

I also have a Freewing Lippisch EDF and I resolved this using the throttle trim switch to lower it until it ran.  Only this time I havent managed to sort it. I'm certain I'm missing something in the setup.

Using a Spektrum NX8 and using Spektrum RX AR637T, motor and esc are Freewing 

Your advice is most welcome

Sounds like you need to do a throttle calibration on the ESC. For most ESCs you need to set the throttle stick on the transmitter to wide open (100%), then power up the model and wait for a couple of beeps from the ESC before closing the throttle.

This tells the speed controller what PWM pulse widths to expect from the receiver as the top & bottom ends of throttle.

Check on your Tx as well by using the channel monitor in the menu, that the throttle is moving between 0% and 100% as you move the stick up and down, and that you haven’t got any strange throttle curves programmed in.

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, Had another play.

Throttle trim all the way up, turn on TX, stick up, two beeps, stick down two beeps and cell count, disconnect - reconnect. sorted.

Strange that my Freewing Lippisch has the trim down!

Thanks again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank Day said:

Thanks guys, Had another play.

Throttle trim all the way up, turn on TX, stick up, two beeps, stick down two beeps and cell count, disconnect - reconnect. sorted.

Strange that my Freewing Lippisch has the trim down!

Thanks again.

Did you try it with trim down, or at mid position?  When calibrating ESCs in the manner you describe, I've never had to do anything to the trim -- just left it at mid point.  The ESC records what the top and bottom values are, and calibrates accordingly.

Hi,

Was a pain,  I tried everything else then  read something about trimming the throttle up but that didnt work initially so I turned the TX off and restarted leaving the trim fully up, then moved stick fully up after two beeps then fully down for two beeps. Turned it all off and restarted, works perfectly.

I also looked at my Freewing lippisch, it had previously been on my DX8. Bound it to the NX8 same issue, followed same route worked first time. May have been me or something with the Freewing esc's.

All speed controllers are different. I have some which won’t arm if I’ve accidentally left the throttle kill switch in the ‘kill’ position on the Tx when powering the model up, and some that aren’t bothered and arm anyway.