Summer 2022 is here - who's been flying?

Meanwhile... at the pure FF diesel end of things, I recently finished my 23.5" Gordon Whitehead Nieuport Baby, built from an original 1972 Aeromodeller plan.

It was supposed to be powered by a 1959 E.D. Baby 0.46cc which I acquired completely gummed up, but stripping and cleaning it then putting it back together revealed an engine that had actually had very little prior use:  I've now run it in properly (the exhaust residue has gone from dark-grey to light-straw probably for the first time in over 60 years!) and it is very sweet upright.  However, for reasons I've not been able to fathom, it has proved almost impossible to start inverted.  So I've now retrofitted an equally old but invertible Allbon Dart 0.5cc into the Nieuport.

First flights were impressively high and sometimes manic, as the old Dart is still a bit too powerful.  So this video of the last trim flight of the day, with the 7x3 prop mounted on backwards to help kill the excess thrust (even at lower, burbling revs) shows the model closer to an acceptable state of trim:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VaV26H5e5pqUfFiC9

The glide is steep because (1) it is obviously a very draggy WW1 biplane, (2) it is a bit heavy for its small size, and (3) I had to bend in down-elevator trim to overcome the previous ballooning climb.

I've now fitted an 8x3 prop, as the 'flywheel effect' of this larger prop better helps keep the engine running at lower compression settings, and I'll also increase the down-thrust from 7° to 8° and the right-thrust from 4.5° to 5.5° to tame the excessive bank and climb at anything above minimal revs (sounds mad but in my experience this type of very short-nosed FF model really needs that much of both!).  Then I'll be able to restore the tad of down-elevator trim to neutral to improve the glide-phase angle, bend in more left rudder and re-tweak the already bent-in differential washout... the aim being to achieve a consistent left-hand circuit on both power and glide phases (it currently turns right once the power cuts) without the model rolling in one way or the other, etc.

Complicated stuff this FF malarkey...

PXL_20220529_135235948.jpeg

PXL_20220529_135329873.jpeg

Nieuport Port Meadow2 23-06-2022.jpg

PXL_20220621_155508146.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan M
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Some really nice models there.  Lots of big ones, as you said! Personally, I'm not a huge fan for the current 'bigger is better' trend.............. living up to my moniker I guess...... for me the sweet spot is 15-20cc - big enough for presence, small enough to transport easily, and relatively economical to build and fly. 

Rubbish summer weather here unfortunately. Lovely and calm on Friday evening, so got a couple of flights in at the local club field, before the heavens opened. Strong winds, in the right direction, on the slope yesterday, but in the increasingly strong winds of 25-28mph the lift was breaking down, the turbulence was high and it wasn't the best day - cut short by the conditions. This morning wasn't as windy as forecast and was able to squeeze a couple of flights in between the showers, but overall a bit hit and miss, Forecast for the week ahead isn;t looking very summery either.

Edited by leccyflyer
typo

I went flying today with my Belgian frtiend and trainee pilot Frans. Frans is very enthusiastic but inexperienced. He likes to build models and together we built an electric powered Junior 60. There was hardly any wind this morning I had him on the buddy box and took off, giving Frans the control once the model was airborne. Frans managed his first ever landing followed by two more good landings on the next two flights. On the fourth flight he said that he had no control whatsoever. I took over and sure enough I had absolutely nothing! We could only watch as the Junior 60 lived up to its free flight origins and glided gracefully across the flying field to crash into the hedge! Apart from a loosened glue joint between the tailplane and fuselage, there was no damage.

Silver Foxes.jpg

The photo I posted above is soft, grainy and lacks the detail of the original.

Therefore, from my perspective there is no great difference to the photos I was posting before. And, I think your photos also seem to be suffering from the same problem David.

Edited by Steve Colman

Once uploaded the file size is reduced to ~1Mb or something like 1200x800 presumably to match the screen size of a PC. I noticed this a long time ago and stopped using the gallery simply because of the low resolution of the stored images. Now I am wondering if something has changed recently as the quality does appear to have reduced or is it simply because we are focusing on a possible issue. ?

Steve

53 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I add images direct to posts (max file size 48.83Mb)

Ron,

I read this as the total of the files has to be less than 48.83Mb

image.png.438bee95d93624e70fc38dc5b4d76d7a.png

and is no indication of the individual file size of each image once imported.

All indications are that they will be imported at 1200x800 (0.96Mb) and displayed at 1000x750 and so they will not compare with a 15Mb original.

Steve

I have, as I was released from Puppy duty!  At the field from 9:00 until 14:00 - gentle breeze, occasional sunshine.  Flew my Ultrastick, Wots Wot, Arrows Hawk, new Valiant (replacing the one totally destroyed a couple of weeks ago).  All went well. Lovely time.

Eric flew his Jug, EFlite Viking 180, Arrows T33 - no issues.

'New' Kev flew his Pawnee, Habu and maidened his Ultrastick (is a formation a 'tree'? We now have 3 in the club). No issues.

Tony's Tundra spiralled in to some undergrowth with a little damage - issues believed to be a failed elevator control linkage.  It will fly again.  He also flew his Hacker Zoom with the ridiculous roll rate.

Only one picture from early doors. Plus a bonus picture of our older dog, showing how the field needs some decent heavy rain.

PXL_20220629_134603385.thumb.jpg.ca7182a43b08f5c5d863a6302076fd35.jpg

PXL_20220630_091940566.thumb.jpg.f2426ab3a99c23cd22e4b1b2587644cc.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers guys. It's far and away the nicest site I've flown from, and the least busy!

I think about 95% of members have actually hit one of the few trees - even some of the best fliers.  I've managed it with a UMX F16... ?

The CL circle was specifically for our single CL flier, who used to compete in speed events and was a champion in one class - can't remember which one.  He only visits once or twice a year now but we all like the circle as it allows pretty much into wind landings for any wind direction.  Except for larger/faster planes who need to learn how to land cross wind! 

In my previous post, I forgot to say we had a 10 minute 'air display' from a black RAF Hawk who was practicing tight/climbing/diving turns right above us.  We all just sat and watched..... 

Forecast wind and rain at the local strip, with a slightly better forecast for Kerloch, so loaded up a few models for maiden flights. The day didn't start well, with the entire herd of coos occupying the pits area and having to be persuaded to move away, leaving behind many of their calling cards.

First flights with the Dallas Doll were fine, but though the maiden of the FMS Zero started off well, the wee fighter tracking straight, taking off at just over quarter throttle and surprisingly quick and agile.

3rdjuly22-1.thumb.jpg.28862421b4a61eef50a28c8557b62c05.jpg

3rdjuly22-3.thumb.jpg.91255bc42373f16e19f3fb7e7b34b4b1.jpg3rdjuly22-4.thumb.jpg.00bb7c1135fa856d8ed1933576919d8f.jpg

Then after a few circuits the canopy departed and, deciding to land I made the error of deploying the flaps and gear whilst turning onto the crosswind leg. The Zero flick rolled into a terminal spiral dive and after a bit of a search I found that she'd broken her back on a pile of rocks.  The model is repairable, but it was going so well that it's a disappointment to have such extensive damage due to a silly error. As Trevor Howard might have said "That  damned well shouldn't have happened!"

3rdjuly22-5.thumb.jpg.c3d1846f6fd09bb224cac7ab345b451c.jpg

Not a maiden, but next up was my Durafly Me163 and after a squirrely first attempt to get off the ground, the second attempt went better and a gentle climb out ensued. Clearing the fence I hit the Gear switch to drop the dolly, except that I didn't. I heard the nice DX9 Lady exclaim Throttle Cut! and the Komet fell to earth. No damage other than the aluminium hatch dowel was dislodged, but that was the Komet hors de combat.

Finally the FMS Hawker Typhoon 1B had a better maiden, though well over-elevated and twitchy on full rates and felt a bit tail heavy throughout the flight, as if just waiting to bite and drop a wing if slowed down. To get the balance I'd fitted a 4s1p 2600mah pack and that gave a very rapid flight, but I think a bit of weight in the chin scoop won't hurt. No flaps this time and a faster than needed landing gave a spectacular somersault, but no damage.

3rdjuly22-19.thumb.jpg.ad4276f1c4ef2412b76ad6a362c36c8e.jpg3rdjuly22-22.thumb.jpg.13e18d8dcb9a3eaafd6d11a4394654e6.jpg3rdjuly22-26.thumb.jpg.37a111d0b5d6ba22d6abd6cde0bc3cba.jpg3rdjuly22-27.thumb.jpg.4c8305a4e10f7a6c8dac8b371d46fece.jpg3rdjuly22-30.thumb.jpg.a39653a3696beeab064668eb827a3666.jpg3rdjuly22-32.thumb.jpg.95d1974223a7be383d4033ba31caa12d.jpg3rdjuly22-34.thumb.jpg.3c0c790ca49655c724f39f095401a3bc.jpg3rdjuly22-35.thumb.jpg.f569a1e09e11d47ee2b161adf2e63b81.jpg

Photo credits Derek Robertson - thanks D!

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 2

Lovely little plane that Tiffie - I have a less than pristine one!  Shame about the Zero - looks fixable.

Incident packed day at our field....... I arrived at 8 a.m. and was surprised to be on my own (an early maiden had been promised). Assembled my Valiant ready for my self-imposed 9 a.m. start and flew my Hawk and Wots Wot for a while.  Wife phoned at 8:50 to say 111 had advised her to go to A&E to get treatment for the cat scratch on her eyelid.  Quickly packed up to drive her.

Got back to the field to find a few had turned up - as had the wind.  Arrived just in time to see the wreckage of a buddy's Acrowot - terminal damage for unknown reason.  He readied his Acrowot XL to find range issues.  I provided a replacement Rx to see if the Rx was the issues - better but not ideal.  And then saw elevators acting like Galloping Ghost was back in fashion! Wreckage and disassembled AWXL put in car......

I departed to help squash some of our sons stuff, and his girlfriends, into our small house. 

No more flying for me until Thursday now as on puppy-duty still. Monday - wife at work; Tuesday - drs, then carpet fitters; Wednesday - wife visiting relatives.  Hey ho.....

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Flying and instructing at  my club whenever the weather (which seems to have been either pretty windy this spring/summer or wet) permits.  Flying Wot 4, Dave Smith Models Merlin, Simprop Excel, FMS Piper Cub, Decathlon, P51 or Ryan STA - whatever is to hand when I load the car.