Summer 2022 is here - who's been flying?

Great flying day today, only had 1 model to fly, the WWXL with Laser 200 FT. 8 flights in total, average 8 mins per flight just over ½ gallon of fuel used! With this motor the model has unlimited vertical performance and can even prop hang, oh and it sounds rather nice too!

IMG_6980.thumb.jpeg.7411d6e5f88a11ed56344dd3ce561f38.jpeg

• Like 2

Lovely evening for a spot of flying so on a theme films how about "The  good, the bad and the ugly" and in not particular order on the bench we have:

The SU37 - foam with two 70mm battery destroying fans and a tendency to meet the ground at will, but more on that later

CanDoo - flies quite well although it looks like its travelling in the wrong direction sometimes!

PZ Habu - Just a really nice little model, no major vices o a point of being a bit boring!

image.thumb.png.bdb05612b610718c611e863c04c35cfd.png  

The SU367 has always proved to be a challenge ever since it leapt into the air on the maiden the through its self back on the ground destroying its UC. I have tried my own UC which was a bit shorter (to stop the shopping trolley effect) however this produced a very unwanted effect of destroying the airflow under the fuselage. So the faster you went and the more power you applied the faster and more stuck to the ground it became. even full up elevator would not break this ground squirrel until you shut the throttle and then it would leap into a stall.

Only thing was to loose the UC and hand launch which was troublesome at the best of timed until I started playing with a RX (AR637T - AS3X - safe). first chuck today saw a long and gentle climb out on safe mode and then a pleasant few laps with just the AS3X gyro on . Its not a bad model to fly, but it feels like it won't take prisoners if I drop my guard and the visible wing flex in turns is disconcerting. I am still getting used to the down wind turn as it changes from a shape in the sky to some beast wih its wings stretching towards me for a lowish pass down the flight line 😀

Really sold on the Safe mode for launch and roll on Sunday for a few more flights.  

Great weather this morning so it was out with the SU37 again. Launch with "safe" on results in a long and stable climb out that just misses the ground, but the good news is its consistent! Lets just say its a challenging model to fly (just weighting for a mistake!).

Thanks Harry for the chuck, photo and video.

image.png.a96cc65392873bdc75584084b7cf588e.png

image.thumb.png.597bac3562d81709b7f0f015b8ddb8e8.png

• Like 2

Up early and at the field by 07:30 the idea being to get my flying done before the heat builds up. I think I was a bit too early as I had to put a fleece on.

The field is green 😲

IMG_20220716_075229_HDR.thumb.jpg.66c7fd90a79aba001b55d09252b56b21.jpg

and the crops have been harvested.

Test flew this in the still morning air.

IMG_20220716_075210_HDR.thumb.jpg.f0e7a3ce51db8519094c2ebddb8fa2a5.jpg

Nice start to my day 🙂

Steve

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got to the field this morning - yippee!

Got a couple in on the Valiant, the PT17, the Hawk..... and 30 mins working up a sweat with the little Alt DLG.

Then our farmer/landlord arrived and said that although he's harvested the crop field to the West, he's not yet baled the straw so asked us to minimise flying over it - tinder dry again, and another large wildfire within a couple of miles yesterday evening.  They reckon the combine caused a spark on a stone - scary!  No more Valiant flying as the most used airspace for that size plane is over the field at the West. Hey-ho - he hopes to do baling of the straw this week. 

Managed to set up the engine on the Double Trouble, got some stick time on the smaller planes, an had a good old chin wag, so was a nice pleasant morning. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, kevin b said:

Just had 2 good flying days together, which is most unusual for our field.

Maybe tomorrow we can make it 3 !

You guys are lucky. My members wait until the perfect weather (which never comes), and then decide it's too hot\cold\cantbe bothered.

• Like 1