Sutton Bank slope soaring

I have always fancied trying my hand a slope soaring but living in the Vale of York hills are in short supply. That said the Western edge of the North York Moors is doable. Looking on Google earth and after a visit there is a potential site 2 1/2 miles north of Sutton Bank which looks possible in a Westerly. Its on the Cleveland Way and possibly in the NY national park?

Has anyone used it and are there any restrictions other than the usual safety precautions?

Are there any other spots used along the West or South edge  (avoiding the gliding club)?

Thanks

image.png

Edited by Ace

Many years ago (last century) I flew in a slope comp with a group on a model holiday week based at Primrose Valley, Filey. Normally we flew slope off the coast at sites between Filey Brig & Bridlington in winds with an easterly element or at Hole of Horcum area in westerlies. The wind was westerly that year but for some reason we were unable to use the HoH sites so we flew at a site close to Sutton Bank. AFAIR we parked at the SB Nat Park Centre then walked a short distance towards Garbutt Wood Nature Reserve & flew from the footpath/trail. Landing was in a field just behind the path.

The arrangements made to fly at the site were made by the holiday week organisers who I believe did it with advice from NYMRSC. I suggest you click the link & get in touch with them as I think their membership are the only ones authorised to fly models within the NYM boundary.

Rich Griff, True but any idea where I can I get a free contour screen shot?  (OS want a subscription for free 7 day trial). Ok could then cancel but a load of hassle and shared data I would prefer not to.

Proposed spot has a predominantly steep grassy rise of several hundred feet unlike the majority of the area which is heavily wooded hence the satellite view.  

As suggested by PatMC the NYMRSC is probably a good starting point.

Nick Cripps,   Oooo - just the job, thanks.

Ok I have marked the possible spot. 159m of elevation @ 12% over predominantly grass with a few small shrubs lower down,

Waiting to hear back from the NYMRSC for advice/guidance. 

image.thumb.png.d4f80c9102e9ec5a35cc111962d9b9ce.png

On 19/05/2022 at 09:49, Nick Cripps said:

This is the free mapping software I use for my walking expeditions.

Bing maps have an OS view that includes 25,000 scale. 25,000 scale shows field boundaries, that can be handy from a landing perspective; 50,000 scale does not. The scale transition is seamless when zooming however apart from the field boundaries, you can tell because footpaths etc are green in 25,000 and red in 50,000. Edited to add, the red/green thing doesn't really apply in Scotland due to the different land access rules.

Edited by Graham Bowers
adding detail.
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A while back they use to fly much closer, about 1-1.5km from the gliding club according to the NYMRSC when I enquired but haven't done so for a while. The potential spot (not actually tried it yet) is another 1.5km further along the escarpment and 3km from the gliding club. Being on the Cleveland Way and restricted landing zone may well render it impractical? Will have to try it to be sure!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2022 at 17:22, Phil Green said:

You found an error in Google Maps there Andy - bottom left of your map is 'Osgoodby'.   'Osgodby' is near Selby not far from me!

I'm wondering whats the position with the full-size gliding club, they will have agreements that might hinder model use...

Er no. The map is correct. Osgoodby, spelled with 2 "o"s is between Thirk and Kilburn.

image.png.59a0d7897e4814385e9543627fb38e19.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ok been waiting for a decent westerly blow. Today everything lined up so went for a trial flight that turned into a very enjoyable 3 x 20 min flights.

A bit of a trek to get there (1.5k) but was greeted with a strong westerly, 18mph gusting 25mph +. Weapon of choice a 46" Wildthing for the first outing due to its robustness. First launch straight back over my head. The only ballast I had was a 75g lump of lead which luckily was just enough. Second launch a little further down from the lip and she was away. 20 minutes later a landing was attempted - 3rd time of asking using the dead spot between the two lips. I wouldn't want to risk an expensive plane as getting it down is a tight challenge. There is a grass field behind over a wall and wire fence which is not really practical to use regularly. 2nd and 3rd flights both of 20min just as enjoyable. I could comfortably traverse 150m in both directions and with few trees on the lower slope lift was strong with little turbulence. 

Sorry no flying pictures (no hat cam or 3rd hand) but a view from further along shows the spot and the second is the westerly view out across the Vale of York. Gliding club is a good mile+ to the south.

Summary - big smile,  long walk, good afternoons flying and next time bring a friend for company.

242128568_20220725_1334491.thumb.jpg.10ae9e2612c1df1f3b54b2b433fe9b43.jpg 57235285_20220725_1427491.thumb.jpg.7abb36ceeddd863451e27a4764eec6b3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Used to fly off Sutton Bank in the 70s - over the White Horse in a southerly, or walk round the point to the cliffs in a W. Nobody ever mentioned the gliders although the model club may have spoken to them - I was too young to worry TBH. 

Have you looked at the ridge to the N of the main A170 road/visitors centre? It's a short walk through the shrubbery to a clear patch where I've launched and landed a hang glider back then as well.

Unfortunately north all along the ridge is now covered on shrubs/trees. The old White cliff spot where they landed in the field behind is now used for horse training so not now available. Looking on Google earth the walk is now the only practical spot as far as I can find unless you travel much further afield. 

Thanks, but not comfortable about flying on the end of the gliding club's runway, plus the White Horse area looks fairly shrub/tree covered looking a google earth.

For safety and a clear landing area the walk is a small price to pay 👍

• 1 year later...

Sorry I missed this post last year.  I live next to the ridge that runs North from the Yorkshire Gliding Club, near Lake Gormire.  The ridge stretches about 20 miles up to Teesside.  It is a beautiful West-facing escarpment and offers many slope-soaring opportunities if you’re prepared to explore on foot.

As Ace pointed out, some sections are sheer cliff or wooded, but even these can be flown with the right model.

I keep well away from the YGC although on occasion I’ve dropped by in the evening and they’ve been very friendly, allowing me to use their strip after they’ve all landed. Many of them fly models too.

if you’re up this way do drop me a message here (I’ve just joined) and I’ll meet up if I’m free.  I usually fly alone up here.

Best wishes,

Rog

• Like 3

Beautiful, and great filming but jeez you make me nervous JR....    🙂 🙂  🙂

pissypress.jpg.57d9e57353e0d2ad41d323a76b33ba9c.jpg

Coupling the pilots head to the rudder would be cool for those canopy angles...  🙂

Brilliant, hope to try Sutton Bank next season! (I'm a NYMRSA member)

Phil

Edited by Phil Green