Sutton Bank slope soaring

Lovely model flying in stunning scenery and weather.  The landing area needs a confident pilot to get it right it appears.

My wife and I have cycled up the adjacent White Horse Bank on our tandem.  We were younger and fitter then but it was still something of a grovel - down was easier! 

3 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Beautiful, and great filming but jeez you make me nervous JR....    🙂 🙂  🙂

pissypress.jpg.57d9e57353e0d2ad41d323a76b33ba9c.jpg

Coupling the pilots head to the rudder would be cool for those canopy angles...  🙂

Brilliant, hope to try Sutton Bank next season! (I'm a NYMRSA member)

Phil

Thanks for your reply Phil.  It would be great to meet up if you’re over this way.  
I’ve flown occasionally as a guest at HoH - and what a lovely site. It’s just a bit far to drive when I have the cliff on my doorstep. 

And yes, I still get nervous launching off the cliff(!) although amazingly the footpath itself runs within feet of the edge.

Good idea about animating the pilot’s head (as Chris Williams has done). 
Rog

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Lovely model flying in stunning scenery and weather.  The landing area needs a confident pilot to get it right it appears.

My wife and I have cycled up the adjacent White Horse Bank on our tandem.  We were younger and fitter then but it was still something of a grovel - down was easier! 

Cheers Geoff- kind comments. 
I have to admit the landing area can be a challenge at the Whitestonecliffe site. It also has a savage rotor if the wind is above 15mph. Further North the escarpment is gentler and less wooded. 

I’m impressed you’ve cycled up the bank! It’s exhausting in a car! 

• Like 1

I've Blue-Petered this map to show the slope sites around the SW corner of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, near where I live.  It's a bit rubbish to be honest but you can hopefully cross-ref it with a decent OS version to identify access roads etc.    

1454512790_Hambletonslopesites.thumb.PNG.3d289aa5f09de4e8273dda6591baf14c.PNG

As mentioned above - the Yorkshire Gliding Club is active most days so the safer sites are those furthest away e.g. Black Hambleton.  Even so, it's safer if you have a spotter in case any full-size happen by. 

These sites are also in the National Park.  I do not know their current attitude towards RC gliders, but I do know that on the rare occasions I've seen wardens, they've been really friendly and politely curious.  I think they're looking for a responsible attitude to safety and nothing that disrupts the peace and beauty of the area. It helps that I fly alone, avoid busy times and follow BMFA guidance.

If you do decide to visit, feel free to drop me a message and I'll try to join you.  I've been a Billy No-Mates for the last 25 years. 😪

Please note there's also a crop of sites along the Northern edge of the moors near Guisborough, which I understand are sometimes flown by members of the Guisborough MFC.  They could advise where these are and if any permissions are required.

• Like 4

Thats very helpful JR ta v much.  Unlikely to make it up there till next season but will defo give you a shout 🙂

High Barn sounds the favourite, is there a landmark to look out for after the ten-minute walk, or is the launch spot obvious?

You might be amused by my Single-Channel & Reeds soarers 😁

IMG_20230909_113651.jpg

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Beautiful, and great filming but jeez you make me nervous JR....    🙂 🙂  🙂

pissypress.jpg.57d9e57353e0d2ad41d323a76b33ba9c.jpg

Coupling the pilots head to the rudder would be cool for those canopy angles...  🙂

Brilliant, hope to try Sutton Bank next season! (I'm a NYMRSA member)

Phil

Nice photo, I used to climb there.

The obvious shadowed chimney crack and corner at the right of the photo goes by the name of "The Night Watch" and is a sensational line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Nice photo, I used to climb there.

The obvious shadowed chimney crack and corner at the right of the photo goes by the name of "The Night Watch" and is a sensational line.

You’re even madder than me Graham! 🤪.

Some poor guy fell off the cliff last Christmas Eve, and survived! The coastguard helicopter hovered above for hours, probing down into the wood with a searchlight (and probably IR cameras) until he was found.IMG_8993.thumb.jpeg.0de76db35eb25042ab76b1b727ad0c9d.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Thats very helpful JR ta v much.  Unlikely to make it up there till next season but will defo give you a shout 🙂

High Barn sounds the favourite, is there a landmark to look out for after the ten-minute walk, or is the launch spot obvious?

You might be amused by my Single-Channel & Reeds soarers 😁

IMG_20230909_113651.jpg

I saw you fly a single channel at a HoH fly-in a few years back. Very entertaining and and skilful, but I'm a big fan of elevators. 😆

Yes High Barn is a lovely open site with relaxing views and few hazards.  You'll know you're there because there's a barn, and you're high up (sorry Phil, couldn't resist).  The barn is in a copse of trees right on the edge, and is sadly derelict (we looked into buying it a few years back but it would have been a money pit!).

Here's a distant photo looking North, showing High Barn (HB) hidden in the copse of trees, with a red line showing you the 10 min walk from the small car park.  You can fly either just North or South of the barn.  There is a stone wall back from the slope edge unfortunately, so sideslipping along the top is best, but it's fairly smooth and grassy - I've landed my Pat Teakle ASW20 there, as a rough guide.  

High Barn.PNG

The above photo of High Barn shows the Black Hambleton (BH) site in the background. 

BH is a beauty of a site and the only reason I don't fly there is I can't be bothered to drive.  I could walk to Whitestonecliffe quicker than packing the car. 😁

But for visitors, BH is arguably the best site.  The photo below (looking South) shows that you can fly from your car (CP) which is nice, assuming you can find the gated road (red line) that leads up from the village of Kepwick.

Sadly there's a stone wall just where a slope pilot wouldn't want it, but you can land smaller stuff on the top edge of the slope in front, and larger models on the acres of heather behind the wall. 

Black Hambleton slope.PNG

Edited by Jolly Roger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

I found 'Rag Robin Turn' too, says 'unsuitable for motors'?  I like a challenge...  🙂

image.thumb.png.31b49c84f49a70698d40fa382d4a3340.png

Sorry Phil, not too sure where that is but the easiest way to Sneck Yate car park is probably driving North along the top road from the Sutton Bank visitor centre.  Then it’s a short walk to HB 🙂IMG_8994.thumb.png.df7790b6ef46cc814f6135eac5ccf237.png

Sorry its me causing confusion,  High Barn is sorted 🙂   so looking at BH

I thought 'Rag Robin Turn' was the lane that leads from Kepwick to Black Hambleton (?) marked  'unsuitable for motors', is this the one you said 'if you can find the gated road (red line)' ?

Edited by Phil Green

23 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

Sorry its me causing confusion,  High Barn is sorted 🙂   so looking at BH

I thought 'Rag Robin Turn' was the lane that leads from Kepwick to Black Hambleton (?) marked  'unsuitable for motors', is this the one you said 'if you can find the gated road (red line)' ?

Ah, I see. 🙂

The road out of Kepwick up to BH is narrow and gated but fine for cars/vans. 
I hear that in the 80s/90s BH was a regular spot for slope soaring but I’ve never met anyone else up there since 2000. 

IMG_8995.png

• Like 2