Slingsby Petrel 3.4 metre designed by Chris Williams

Well I have just returned from a more or less windless PSS weekend at the Orme.  I took the Petrel because I wanted to try it out in light winds, which we had in abundance - no good for PSS heavies but OK for the Petrel.

I arrived on Friday evening to Sun and about 8 to 10mph on the NW slope. I quickly assemble and Stevie chucked her off. She soared effortlessly as though on rails. She does dive a bit so I think I will remove 2 chunks of lead from the cockpit

1001367001_WhatsAppImage2023-05-19at17_04_30.thumb.jpg.3be61675c719bc8a5a3e9a00d0d847d8.jpg

I flew her for about an hour, so delightful was the experience. The wind dropped to about 6mph and she seemed to cope with it easily rising even in that wind. I also flew her the following morning on the North East Pier slope which was equally rewarding and idyllic. This one will be flown a lot. I must go, however to find some accomodation for the Shrelow Aerotow next weekend.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 28/05/2023 at 22:46, MikeQ said:

Hi Peter ... what two sizes of piano wire did you use on the AMT?

Cheers

mike

Sorry Mike, didn't see this. In answer to your question I went to my local engineering shop and bought some concentric sizes of tubing that all fit effectively inside each other. Unbeknown to me I bought mild steel, which I recently had to replace with piano wire and the sizes are 1/8" and 3/32, but you could use the metric equivalent of say 3mm and 2.5mm or 2mm I am sure.