New Parasol Design, think will call 'Kestrel'

• Many thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated. I never thought i had a reputation for 'interesting' pilots but thinking back you are probably right Nigel. I have indeed been looking for something appropriate and by that I don't necessarily mean a human figure. For a while I have fancied a gorilla with long fur to blow in the breeze, equipped with suitable goggles and scarf of course. Its about fun, god forbid I ever grow up! Linds
Edited by Lindsay Todd
  • Like 1

Well not flown yet but have added a few simple graphics and lettering just to finish things off and of course a suitable pilot (quite normal on this occasion)

091.thumb.jpg.c157bb858ceb3f73898d3a54e9d1b62b.jpg

I have kept things really simple and just gone for basic lettering down the fuselage side. Tail wheel also now added, this is just a screw fixed commercial unit I picked up some time ago

092.thumb.jpg.ca1acda5a1e2c3dba6e95d37460fc8c5.jpg

The wing graphic was created on cad and then cut on my Cameo Vinyl Cutter from some stock black film. 

089.thumb.jpg.ae7418e555fe7e2a8aafb0e21e731025.jpg

The pilot is an old Flair ABS moulded affair with a bit of a repaint and of course ribbon scarf added. I also made up a basic windshield from scrap timber and clear acetate sheet. The original idea was a wrap around affair but this simple unit just felt more appropriate.

090.thumb.jpg.3afc6b8e12c86180f94a5fcdabf59bee.jpg

Final addition was a battery monitor on the dash for those important visual check!

After installing a 5cell nmh under the tank i checked the CG and did need to add a little nose ballast bringing the all up weight to 6.5lb and a wing loading of just about 23oz a square foot so  not a floater but not a fighter either and should be fine.

just need time and the weather to align now for test flights

Linds

• Like 2

Well had a chance to carry out the test flights today, nice bright sky if a little bumpy but the Kestrel performed beautifully. It was one of those models that just felt right straight away and needed absolutely no trim at all. The ASP 52 provides plenty of power, the controls felt balanced and comfortable and the flight characteristics are smooth and predictable. Just a couple of circuits and we were in to low passes and touch and goes, loops, rolls, inverted flight needs a little forward pressure on the elevator and spin recovery was simply on centering the sticks. Slow speed flight is good and the stall is very predictable and needs to be almost forced. In other words a great success. 

100.thumb.jpg.99c91903d22962e3904091ef6a67a0e5.jpg

First take off, smooth, predictable and ground handling and rudder authority really nice, just a slight nudge of elevator to get airbourne

101.thumb.JPG.18dfca2bd788ece912b27d1f40ae841b.JPG 

Plenty of excess power climbing away

102.thumb.JPG.7a40e686c4df8fb91a7be36335d2c412.JPG

A couple of circuits to get a feel, not that I felt I needed it as it felt so good straight away

103.thumb.JPG.7f485cc9c9aef7ce00695bae16251dd0.JPG

A bit of a Farnborough pass for the camera

104.thumb.jpg.48471e061288be0ab5e5cd17e90a0e30.jpg

Time for some low passes and touch and goes

105.thumb.jpg.1099373c21a3f038868cfa303234eee9.jpg

A bit more fun dodging the farmer water cannon (further away than it looks on the photo)

106.thumb.jpg.0355820445f55c3223854feec26ee31e.jpg

Touchdown after first flight, they really don't get any better!

Ok time to crack on with final details on the plan, finish off the words and then get everything away to the Ed. 

If you chose to build his one it is a cracker.  Lindsay

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the forum.

There is an announcement here which says the plans will be available from 2023!   But you would need the first half of the plan which was in Dec 2022......... I suggest a message to Beth and maybe she will help you with this.   Alternatively the paper copy might still be available or someone might offer you their copy.

• 6 months later...
On 23/06/2022 at 21:17, Lindsay Todd said:

Spent the last few days or at least a couple of hours in the evenings doing a little covering of the wings and hinging the ailerons using a top hinge techniques with the heat shrink fabric

084.thumb.jpg.2ecd2179cc4262060ba9ffa6b1e0ce4b.jpg

then cracked on installing the ailerons servos, hitec mini metal gear in this case side mounted onto hard wood blocks that are glued onto the ply plates with arm passing through a slot and short 2mm wire link to the ailerons

085.thumb.jpg.b8e686b9a1069d92177d5b2b799142fa.jpg

a bit more paint work now required before final set and then off to the field.

Linds

I've just ordered one of these, they look superb. I could do with a bit more of an explanation on the hinging technique used for the aileron attachment.

Many thanks to anyone who can maybe help explain.

Cheers

Toto

A top hinged joint is one where the aileron hasn’t got a V shaped LE but an angle from the top back to the bottom. This angle allows the aileron to pivot downwards. The hinge itself is formed using the covering film, the aileron is positioned on the top of the wing (back on itself) and the covering film is then applied over the bottom of the wing, back up over the TE and then over the LE of the aileron and then over the bottom of the aileron. The aileron is then pivoted back into the down position then the covering film is applied over the top of the wing back onto the top of the aileron. The result is a hinge formed with the covering film.

Click image for larger version  Name: 102017_20111.jpg Views: 94 Size: 28.3 KB ID: 57699  

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the explanation. Obviously that must be wrong enough to hold the aileron on place as well. Is this just normal film covering or is there maybe a slightly stronger maybe even structural version. 

I note that the OP refers to simply heat shrink film which I assume is your everyday covering film.

Toto

This is going to be very interesting indeed trying to get the correct stressing of the film over the top of the wing to still enable the flexibility for the aileron to flex down to provide it's full throw distance. The film must be pretty flexible.

Cheers

Toto

8 hours ago, toto said:

This is going to be very interesting indeed trying to get the correct stressing of the film over the top of the wing to still enable the flexibility for the aileron to flex down to provide it's full throw distance. The film must be pretty flexible.

Cheers

Toto

There is very little, or no flexing of the covering film! Think of it being a crease in the film that forms the hinge. I will get some photos for you later.

Some photos for you to help explain and apologies for injury close ups!

This wing is foam covered with laminating film which is similar to standard covering film.

Underside

IMG_8039.thumb.jpeg.40d72db88ecb99199c492ef2e25253fa.jpeg

IMG_8040.thumb.jpeg.2444556c3dfd856da4e16ee0c004715c.jpeg

Aileron up

IMG_8041.thumb.jpeg.5cc91de6ef50b612718030cb9982442d.jpeg

I've cut and shaped some balsa to show it a bit better, the rectangular section represents the wing and the bit with the angle, the aileron

IMG_8042.thumb.jpeg.b5e1fd21d38e12f44bc9f73de82ae328.jpeg

Fold aileron back onto wing then cover the bottom of the wing right round the aileron (from my thumb to finger)

IMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.d840684c4cf7012b2b8c9c959e76abcd.jpeg

Fold the aileron into the down position then cover the top of the wing extending the covering over the top of the aileron

IMG_8044.thumb.jpeg.f7c583bc8be8499d121289893aa2788f.jpeg

• 1 month later...