Nijhuis Lancaster 1/9 scale

After starting the Stampe blog 10 years ago (!), and being a team member of the DB Giant Mannock build, I thought it would be a great time to start another topic.

Since I lost my much loved 4 engine scratch built I was at a loss. Then I saw that TN Design had a Lancaster suitable for 4 x .40 size engines, not too large at 134” span....Great!

Having spoken to my build mate Brian, he’s up for it! 

The Savox servos, new Futaba Rx and full kit will be purchased over the next few days/ weeks. I’ll post as often as I can. 

Tony  Nijhuis with the 134” Lancaster

149CF6F3-56BA-4557-937A-BDE1DAEE886C.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cliff Bastow said:

Watching this with great interest.

I have his smaller Avro York and found it well designed and goes together well. Quite a lot of sanding to shape though! It flies really nicely.

Cliff Bastow.

Sanding....I’ll mention that to Brian ?

First of the goodies have turned up.....the tick end of £350 !!

0C2C9C7F-F951-4F04-9E7B-5A74B5980728.jpeg

The four mini servos will drive each throttle. The rest are for flying surfaces. I’ve managed to bind the Rx to my Futaba 18mz. Set up was easier...and getting more so with practice. With the Tx, it decides which channel is allocated. 

So far it’s been good, all four throttles work together.

Edited by cymaz

Spent a productive hour getting all the channels to work including the landing lights. The R7014sb is easy to program. I’ve changed the DG2 port from Sbus to ordinary switching channel. On the Tx I’ve managed to use the gear switch for DG1. This means that the landing light switch woks with the gear. 

If anyone wants me to go into it a bit deeper, I will. For now I need a sit down !

As of now the channel count is...

• 4 throttle 
  • 2 rudder 
  • 2 elevator
  • 2 aileron
  • 1 gear
  • 1 port for power
  • 1 DG port for lights
  • 1 DG spare switching port.

Edited by cymaz

DG1 port is now working, it’s on the same switch as the gear. When the gear goes down the landing lights are on.

DG2 port is now navigational lights. It’s on the throttle kill switch, the lights are always on but turn off when the throttle kill is activated.

This might change in the future.....I hope not.

I’ve had an email from TN saying the kit should be arriving around the 20 June

Edited by cymaz

I used 2x OS52FS inboard and 2x OS26FS outboard because on paper that should have been enough compared with the original 4x 600 brushed motors. It was but left nothing in reserve. Also, with all the intelligent on board glow drivers and associated sub c batteries there was only room for 6oz tanks on the outers and 8oz on the inners but not a problem with the motors used. The 52s were on 12x6 and the 26s on 12x5 after an extra shim in each head and 20% nitro gave respectable RPM.

Whilst constructing mine I watched one being flown on 4x 40 two strokes and it went like a bat out of hell, even low inverted.

Many thanks for the feedback. We’ve studied the plans and reckon that Dubro 12oz tanks will fit. It might take some head scratching but there’s no rush. Brian ( the main man as builder) is a clever chap and we’ll work something out.

Not much going on...waiting for the kit to arrive. It should be here around the 20th June, give or take a few days. When I’ve finished the painting on the Giant Mannock I will then start on doing the mock up of the port wing landing lights.

I’ve also managed to find a second Haynes book on the Lancaster. This might be a good reference for insignia, lights, windows etc.

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to the helpful staff at Hendon, the landing lights were angled inside the wing with a Perspex shield.. 

I am thinking also of the variant to build. I’m leaning toward Coastal Command colours. My late dad was in CC and stationed at St. Eval

Anyone know of a good pictorial source??

“Thank you for your email.
The underwing lights were fixed in place, but they were angled slightly forwards behind the glazing.
The first squadron to be equipped with the Lancaster ASR3, for air sea rescue duties, was 179 at St Eval. After that a number of St Eval based squadrons flew either the ASR3, or GR3, variant of the Lancaster. “

Edited by cymaz

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been industrious. I have bought 4xSC46s. Now call me reckless but I reckon it could work out better. There is one of the local clubs that is a bit tight for take-off space. All the engines have been stripped, cleaned and new parts ordered....bearings, head shims and carb O rings.

I’ll stick them all on the engine run bench and set the carb arms using my trusted wire and protractor method. If anyone is interested I will post the pictures and do a quick explanation. 

The kit has now “landed” at Builder Brian. So hopefully, we can get started in a week or two.

• Like 3

Martin, you are correct. I know it’s a bit of a departure but I get the same Slec engine mounts it should be just a case of swapping out the engine plus mount. This should give me a relatively pain/ stress free method of doing an engine swap....we shall see. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive now completed the 4 engine test runs. These are lovely engines. Still pondering over prop sizes but this will wait until it’s built and we can do some proper ground testing.

I might make a 4 engine test ring using the intended Rx and servos if anyone wants to see it!

• Like 2