Nijhuis Lancaster 1/9 scale

Well, the test stand is finished. I have a large (4’x3’) saw horse I’m going to bolt it to and stake it to the ground.....I’m not having this careering towards me at speed 🏃‍♂️.

For those wishing detail.

SC 46a with 12x5 apc props, 5%

I will try and run it weekend after next.

734094B6-6DC2-4A3A-B987-9495A0E13CD7.jpeg

30EBD105-3F30-4E39-A0F2-89648F7CA2A4.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 3

Ummmm, I have a confession. I fired them up this afternoon. I wanted to make sure all was well before filming. I detest YouTube vids when all you see is someone flicking over an engine for the first half.

I knew I’d have a syphoning issue, which I did. The tanks are 1 1/2” above the carbs. When they all ran I was juggling back and forth keeping the engines going by adjusting the needles. Hardly the stuff of riveting viewing. Also I need 4 new plugs. When hitting the carb sweet-spot ( before the syphoning took over ) they all took it turns to idle nicely and pick up well.

But the concept worked despite the drawbacks. Once the tank height is sorted in the build all will be better. 

Sorry to ruin your fun. The video will come 📽️

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Cannot remember now how I fitted the 52s in mine. Even though it seems to be a very large model, there is very little room in the cowls (grp in my case). I think that I still have the not so good female mould so if you tell me the H x W x W I can check it. May be useful before you commit yourself.

Thanks all. I'm going inverted as the cowls are small, nice to have them neat and inside. It will make baffles easier! .....Watch this space 

Well 1/2 hour later.....repositioned the tanks under base board, drilled a multitude of holes and reused the cable ties. Filled up a couple of tanks and primed the carbs. No syphoning and no fuel run back into the tank. Here’s hoping🥺

Only took a couple of pictures but I’m sure you’ve got the idea. It’s not a pictures but the tank stopper is half a gnat’s dodah under the carb spray bar

9DF88663-AA17-43D7-8064-9067DCCDBA89.jpeg

0B27EA8D-3A00-4596-935B-1D2E7EE8C712.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I’ve put the new plugs in. OS number 8. I’ve also placed the engines sideways. And put the tanks in their original place. The engines are running much more consistently. There is still more work to do. I’m thinking of placing PTFE tape around all the needle threads to stop air leaking in.

Video posted now as promised 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve not been idle. Still working on the test stand, now modified again! I figure it’s easier to experiment with this and then build in what works into the airframe.

I’ve dropped the tank about an 1” and installed a uniflow tank set up. There is little or no syphoning from the tank into the carb and the engine seems more even in the runs. I will do it with another tank/ engine just to see if I can repeat the results....

E328BA05-F27E-4846-866D-F72D64D0FF22.jpeg

468F923A-AF08-4336-8888-4F1FBF64A040.jpeg