An embarrassing crash

I recently published a video on YouTube of my lightweight Depron HE162 doing a good job of wrecking itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU7vrjDt8pg

It is not so much the crash that was embarrassing but the reason why the power failed completely shortly after launch.

Solder!.JPG.f776de880396939dda7d08a6914c4dd7.JPG

Doh!

In classic style it had been held in place by the shrink wrap!

Despite its ridiculously slow flying speed the shock of the arrival did quite a bit of damage on what is also a ridiculously light structure.

All three wing mounts bolts were dislodged and the nose from the middle of the cockpit forward had to be simply cut away.

NewFormerC.JPG.bec7f4c7a790a3a349a5b5c83f868fd1.JPG

The new nose was built vertically. The top and bottom formers and 3 planks to start with.

NewNose1.JPG.646a495834350770b49ac5ff194a9b32.JPG

All very wobbly!

Once the majority of the planking is complete it can be glued on.

NewNose3.JPG.20728fb3ee8799997850d3910da461b3.JPG

Note a small part of the orignal 2mm Depron skin has been reused.

All back together.

Complete.JPG.9061786995e86f5b2bb226e31bedabfe.JPG

After quite a few 'iterations' (i.e. crashes!) of different EDF positions, prop and battery power it has flown modestly well, once, but so far I have no video of it doing it.?

Now I have to wait for the right weather conditions, basically virtually no wind. It could take some time! 

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 3

I had a motor bullet connector (soldered by the manufacturer) fail, all went well until a low fast pass at WOT...and then the heat shrink melted! Lucky not to loose the model as it was a twin.

The only odd thing was the prop would very occasionally kick back a bit at start up although I double checked and could find no issues. Sort of begs the question as to how far do you check things to be sure without causing more issues.

Great job there and look forward to the video in due course 

• Like 1