Plotter for cutting vinyl letters and numbers

Anyone got experience of using a "home" (rather than semi-professional) plotter cutter for making registration letters/numbers from self adhesive vinyl? If so, what are machine you using and what software to drive it? What are pitfalls?  It may not be worthwhile getting one, but the theoretical  ease of cutting letters and professional finish of items appeals.

Thanks

Edited by David Ovenden

Silhouette Cameo (304 mm max width), Silhouette Studio basic (free, will accept .dxf files).

Pitfalls: make sure your vinyl off the roll goes in straight for large lengths, if one of the drive wheels goes off the edge it is mayhem.

For the rest it performs amazingly well, small size lettering down to 6-7 mm height is no problem ( just difficult to weed out the centre bits from a's, e's, o's, d's, q's and p's, and keeping the dots on the i in place ?).

Edited by Max Z
  • Like 1

Silhouette Cameo with the supplied Silhouette Studio software, which has done everything I've wanted of it to date. Found a good supplier of matt vinyl which works really nicely for roundels and lettering. Import of True Type fonts gives access to a wide variety of different type faces, including RAF and USAF fonts.

Hi

Cricut Explore works for me.

Have used for vinyl markings and also making spray masks/templates.

these are the inly photo’s i have right now on ipad ... sorry.

Cheers

mike

419CB760-707F-46D1-8041-0846549ACE79.jpeg

43B75783-870F-4E0D-9349-C41805D3F793.jpeg

701B2D3D-E1A3-4D34-A1E0-C191A03EFC63.jpeg

E01C2598-05F7-407D-B103-9632D35380A3.jpeg

2BC9183B-2675-450A-AA23-E3B1C8000EA4.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

I recently bought a 14” Vevor cutter after thinking about it for ages: best toy I’ve ever bought! The free software is too basic to do much but the upgrade is quite useful and I’ve been playing with it ever since. The first few cuts were a disaster but with help from YouTube I’m now getting more reliable results. I can see all my models acquiring decorative stickers soon ?.

As an example I’ve attached a before and after picture of a new glider that I wanted to decorate with some stars. Using the cutter enabled me to attach them all in one go and produce mirror image cuts so each wing panel was identical. 

As an added benefit my grandchildren love it too, there are stars stuck all over the house!

770B92A1-3F00-444E-A95D-E96F515332AC.jpeg

9273A558-3057-4E5E-8E2F-D57AB842E793.jpeg

E6C4F09F-BE29-4625-9D6B-75EA54056C2F.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2022 at 22:32, Tim Hooper said:

Cricut Maker.

Works well on vinyl, and even tissue.

Comes with basic fonts, shapes, etc.  Anything fancier and you have to pay for it.

Tim

I've got a Cricut, and the software I have can use any font. I use Craft Robo controller. A bit clunky by today's standard but works well enough.