Radiolink?

Probably old hat but I was looking at updating my Hitec tx but obviously HT isn't an option for new tx, so I came across this:

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/radio-equipment/radio-systems-transmitters/at1011-2-4ghz-12-channel-transmitter-with-receiver-orange

Which looks like a steal. New to me, so no idea on quality etc, but the price is ridiculous for a 12ch set, so am I missing something? 

Rx choice looks reasonable and assuming that there are no reasons that other brand servos etc won't work (I cant see why they wouldn't) there seems absolutely no reason to buy anything else, certainly for the sort of club flying I do. 

Does anyone have any experience of them? 

Cheers 

Regarding "OpenTX" there is a prolific amount of instruction/information on Youtube.

I have learnt all I have required from Youtube and more besides.

I have a Radiomaster now and have tried various receiver protocols on it but generally I stick with FRsky Rx's.

The latest Radiomaster TX16S come with "EdgeTX", which is basically OpenTx, but allows the touch screen to be used.

Again Youtube has all the information that is needed.

All the setting up can be done in the Tx' (rates, mixes, flaperons, etc.) without the need for a computer connection.

But as you point out any updates have to be downloaded through a PC or Laptop.

Not sure if that is possible through a phone ?

I have a Radiolink mark I and mark II.

I too preferred to spend more time flying than programming my transmitter.

They work fine and the rx's are cheap but Radiolink has its own protocol. I use the MKII to tow a K8 glider up to 700ft with a Durafly Tundra so range is not a problem.

The only thing you may find a faff is that they come with a basic factory programme so you need to format the transmitter then download and install the full programme. It's easy to do and there's plenty of vids on YT.

My main reason for getting one was that I usually use MPX but the rx's are a bit expensive to put into a Lidl conversion. Radiolink are £9 to £16 depending where you buy them.

Plenty of parameters to fiddle with if you want and, I think, good value for money.

Easy to use so I have no plans to go Open TX .

Interesting info chaps, thankyou. 

Work commitments, bank balance, family and weather usually restrict my flying sessions to an hour or so of an evening or weekend, so ultimately, simplicity and reliability are pre-requisite. 

I do sometimes wonder whether we're guilty of being "tackle tarts" to coin a phrase. It's fairly common to see upwards of £500+ worth of 10+ channel tx being used to guide a WOT4 around the sky. Or rather, it's fairly common to see said WOT4 sitting on the floor whilst many furrowed brows point attempt to navigate a full colour touchscreen to unravel the mysteries of why the control throws are all wrong. 

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox before I get knocked off. 

Cheers 

• Like 2

I can't find my old post on this, but I had the AT10ii as my first Tx. It is lightweight, cost effective and I never had reliability issues, great for simple models.

But... I started to get the urge for simple additional functions like flaps, and the menu and programming system is horrible. Broken English, menu titles that don't make sense, no userbase to get support from, manuals in Chinglish. I had a hard time setting rates and expo, my memory fails me, but it was difficult to separate out control surfaces onto different switches. I had to set pos and neg trav/expo independently, there was no mirroring. I also had issues where setting flaps and ailerons interfered with one another and I had to go into completely abstract menus to get it to separate. Not fun. Tens of hours I won't get back.

They've also got telemetry which I specifically wanted, but the paperwork said it could call out voltage - it can't, it can only beep.

2 minutes ago, Matt Carlton said:

Interesting info chaps, thankyou. 

Work commitments, bank balance, family and weather usually restrict my flying sessions to an hour or so of an evening or weekend, so ultimately, simplicity and reliability are pre-requisite. 

I do sometimes wonder whether we're guilty of being "tackle tarts" to coin a phrase. It's fairly common to see upwards of £500+ worth of 10+ channel tx being used to guide a WOT4 around the sky. Or rather, it's fairly common to see said WOT4 sitting on the floor whilst many furrowed brows point attempt to navigate a full colour touchscreen to unravel the mysteries of why the control throws are all wrong. 

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox before I get knocked off. 

Cheers 

That's me (!) - Touchscreens on sytems like Spektrum are common sense and mostly plain English with full length words, coded by English-speakers so that contractions are recognisable. Radiolink (can't speak for OpenTX Radiomaster) is the opposite end of the spectrum for useability. Sure there's a screen, sure it's computerised - but it's a pig for quick and predictable adjustments.

It's so easy for manufacturers to stuff their products to the gunnels with features and facilities that make great marketing opportunities, but simply clog up the works when it comes to clear and straightforward user friendliness.

I think the wife's car is just about the worst culprit.......with a 200 page manual that covers loads and loads of stuff that apart from setting up hands-free on the entertainment system is mostly never used gimmicky rubbish.

Had experience of two new club members joining having been "sold" RadioLink by the local model shop with little regard for the outcome.

Neither went well.  First thing was one of them needed buddy tuition, and no-one else had one! Then the poor interface and unreliability resulted in both giving up.

EVERY time they were on site we were forced to fight their ungainly poorly arranged system to get even simple trainers working half decently.

That seems a pretty specific poor deal considering the poor interface and from those two sets at least, and from the small sample, the unreliability.

Cuban8's comment "It's so easy for manufacturers to stuff their products to the gunnels with features and facilities that make great marketing opportunities, but simply clog up the works when it comes to clear and straightforward user friendliness. " Is very telling and very true of some sets.  IMO its a false perception these bottom end sets are useful for non-techies.

Now I'm spending far more time on FPV Freestyle Multirotors than Fixed Wing or Helicopters, its easier to be aware of the latest advances, and deal easily with the so called complexity, and I'm no spring chicken...... (or chicken!! ?). If I can do it.........................

EdgeTXin a RadioMaster ELRS, and say goodbye to a lot of previous system's issues and limitations.  And that's from experience that sees me still using Futaba, Spektrum, FlySky, FrSky and others on a daily basis, from direct Transmitters and from Multi-Module equipped Horus X12S.  This does require a level of hands on some might balk at, though its quick and easy once learnt.

YMMV

I did look at these offerings when I was moving into integrated 2.4GHz equipment, after using a FrSky module with a few V8 receivers on a FF9 and loosing a model into the ground.

I took the plunge and went to an OpenTx machine (Jumper T16 Pro in my case) and I have never once regretted that decision.

While it does seem a challenge at the start, once you get the hang of what is needed it becomes second nature especially with the use of model templates to base other models on.

For me, I guess I possibly use 40% of its capability.

Servo slowed flaps, differential steering using the motors (switchable of course), auto range check movements, telemetry and calling out those readings, the ability to connect with almost any systems receivers, and with the correct receiver installed - the ability to wireless buddy box to almost any system which is unbelievably useful to an Instructor.

Realistically, I could not afford to purchase the offerings from the likes of Futaba / Spektrum for a 16 channel programmable radio with telemetry.

It would also mean I would be locked into having to purchase their receivers which are not cheap.

Jumper and now Radiomaster have made that affordable (£140 at the time - less than a 6 channel set from a big brand), and with multiple choice of receivers to use you can pic and choose.

I recently acquired a model from my club chairman. I did not need to worry what system had been fitted to it as my transmitter ought to be able to cope. Indeed it did - fitted with an Orange receiver running DSM2 protocol.

I Bought a Radiolink AT9S about 5 years ago and like it. The manual is a bit difficult to comprehend at times but I use it mainly for electric powered gliders and have managed to program it for crow braking etc with a bit of head scratching. Servos are cheap and I haven't had any problems as yet. One minus thing to watch, the screen is not easy to see in full sunlight.

Edited by Bob Bertram
Additional wording

Continued Rx availability at a reasonable price is probably more of a concern than flexibility in my case. 

My main issue as things stand is that my Tx is not compatible with some of the newer Hitec receivers, therefore I am more or less stuck with the Optima series, of which there isn't a very small/light option. 

I'll do some research and see. Futaba does a thing called the T6K v3 which would, on the face of it, do everything I need it to at a not much higher price than the RM or RL. 

All in all, there's no immediate urgency, but it's interesting, if not bewildering, to see so many (to me) unknown brands. 

I just wish they were not all so ugly....

11 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

Continued Rx availability at a reasonable price is probably more of a concern than flexibility in my case. 

In that case the Multiprotocol TXs win hands down - with such a wide variety of RXs supported it is literally impossible for it to turn into a paperweight. That is not something you can say about any proprietary system; look at all the protocol changes there have been down the years from Futaba, Frsky and JR, though some (Frsky and Spektrum) have been a slightly better about continuing to support older protocols and make RXs avaliable for them.

11 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

I'll do some research and see. Futaba does a thing called the T6K v3 which would, on the face of it, do everything I need it to at a not much higher price than the RM or RL. 

I have held one of the low end Futabas, and frankly these days I would rather take a Radiomaster, Frsky or any other challenger brand - the physical quality was no better than those TXs and way down on "old skool" Futaba, and of course they have many fewer features (especially telemetry) compared to other TXs being sold at those price points. I also remain unconvicned that they will continue in hobby grade RC in the long run- they are a pretty big company with fingers in lots of pies, but have taken a hammering in RC in of market share in recent years. To get back against the likes of Frsky and Jeti would take huge investment - do they have the will and £££s to do it?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have used a Radiolink AT10II for over 3 years now, flown hundreds of hours with all types of model using their R12DS receivers and haven't had any in flight issues.
As a further note, I can download GPS telemetry to the AT10II transmitter using a simple Arduino setup costing no more than 30 UK pounds. The details and software to do this can be found here: https://github.com/wyfinger/RadiolinkTelemetry/tree/master
The code works well and altitude, speed latitude and longitude are displayed on the AT10II transmitter screen.

I would recommend the AT10II set to anyone starting in the hobby or looking to change to 2.4GHz. At around 160 UKp including receiver and external battery TM module it's a snip.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1