The soulless model?

Have you ever flown or owned a model that, for whatever reason, just felt a bit "meh"? 

I'm not talking about models that fly badly or are difficult, but those that just don't connect, that you never feel engaged with. 

It's odd to talk about a model having

personality, but they do. Don't they? 

Must not comment on electric motive power being soulless...

As a solution to easily making a model move, electric is great. As something fun to play with, erm, no, doesn't do it for me, it's a means to an end for small models used for quick sessions.

Agh. I commented.

Edited by Nigel R

Im afraid i find electric models soulless and boring. Its just not for me. 

Beyond that pattern models are just too perfect, 3d type models like the limbo dancer, u can do 3d, bossanova, hype etc just dont do it for me either. They are all very functional but they do not have a great deal of character in my experience and nothing to really endear me to them. 

By many measures my Flair Nieuport is a barely tamed wild beast that never does what its told and is generally a handful...which is why i love it. Its a bit of a challenge and very rewarding when i get it right. It also looks great and sounds lovely so what's not to like? 

7 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

nothing more satisfying the the heartbeat of a four stroke whatever it's pulling through the air

Two four strokes pulling something through the air?

But. You got to love the simplicity of a two stroke... Three main moving parts...

Soulless for me are mass-produced moulded gliders.  Sure, they do a great job when you need them - maybe testing the lift out, a light wind day, or something to chuck ballast into and hare around with.

A good "tool" to have, but no soul.  Plus these days they all look so similar.

37 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If we're talking generally, rather than planes you have, or have had....

Extras

Edges

Lasers

All seem to look the same and fly the same.

Oh dear that is sad, I don't have any of those 'things' the nearest is my Kwik fly, the others scale warbirds all in that of fashioned stuff called Balsa,,,

Recently purchased an E-Flite Air Tractor, something with which I thought would have a little personality and would look great flying low and slow over the wheat field that ajoins the club field. I added a few basic semi scale details to personalise it a bit.

The Model flies and handles well enough and everone at the field comments on how it looks and flies. I did tweak the flap settings to get it to slow down as I desired. However, I just can't seem to connect with it how I thought I would and I'm baffled as to why this is; this is a well known civil aircraft which should ooze bags of character and "soul" but it's just not there.

Now thinking of selling it which is a rare thing for me after so little time with a model. 

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 1

Whilst I love my IC ‘planes (Laser powered of course) I have many leccy powered ones most of which have soul. To name but 4 WR BF110 (with or without the sound system), Xtra Wot, Sig Rascal 110 (beautiful aircraft which everyone stops to watch), Leprechaun XL powered glider at 4m+ ws looks awesome. Now you may say that all those are rather large but what about my little Arrows Viper, it’s a real hoot to fly.

Maybe it’s not so much the ‘plane but the way in which they are flown, pilots not ‘feeling’ the plane?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Colman said:

Recently purchased an E-Flite Air Tractor, something with which I thought would have a little personality and would look great flying low and slow over the wheat field that ajoins the club field. I added a few basic semi scale details to personalise it a bit.

The Model flies and handles well enough and everone at the field comments on how it looks and flies. I did tweak the flap settings to get it to slow down as I desired. However, I just can't seem to connect with it how I thought I would and I'm baffled as to why this is; this is a well known civil aircraft which should ooze bags of character and "soul" but it's just not there.

Now thinking of selling it which is a rare thing for me after so little time with a model. 

Had similar models of many types, just don't do it for you, yet when you bought you where full off anticipation, wierd.

I started with a Riot which was totally soulless, but I saw it as a means to an end. This was followed by a couple of disappointing kit builds J3 Cub and Spacewalker, they both had design flaws that affected the end result, although they flew, I didn't feel any sense of pride. A big lift was given by a Jensen Das Ugly Stik I built from a plan pack and modified to get rid of the wing bands and dihedral. It flew on rails from the start and still does. No disappointments from then on until my most recent Mini Super I just have this feeling that it isn't for me. Maybe with a few more flights it will grow on me.

Steve

That's right Steve. Flying a new model, whether you have built it, or not is just like building up any relationship.

Sometimes it works immediately. Other times you get there eventually. Sometimes it doesn't work out at all and you have to move on.

Or, as we used to say when I was younger "cut and run".    ?

• Like 1

Junior 60.. .. .. Boorrrring as hell. 

I had the misfortune to be asked by a clubmate to test-fly one for him. ? 

There was just no "passion" coming from it.  . It didn't do much and whatever it did, it did it very slowly. ?

To add to the boredom, it was electric powered. ?‍♂️ 

Oh well, its owner thought it was lovely.  ?

6 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

I had the misfortune to be asked by a clubmate to test-fly one for him. ? 

There was just no "passion" coming from it.  . It didn't do much and whatever it did, it did it very slowly. ?

To add to the boredom, it was electric powered. ?‍♂️ 

Oh well, its owner thought it was lovely.  ?

Now here I disagree entirely. I have built two Junior 60s and helped a novice build a third. They do what they were designed for, i.e, to fly slowly as a  free flight model. As a result they are excellent for nervous elderly beginners to learn on in calm weather. There are better vintage trainers, the Super 60 and the Radio Queen for example and I have several more aerobatic models, a WOT 4 and an Acrowot for example as well as a pattern-ship on the stocks,  but I love flying Junior 60s in calm weather.

The least favoured model in my collection is an OS 61 FS-powered Flair Harvard.

6 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

I agree and being all electric I don't have the added interest (anxiety) of trying to start an IC engine or (worry) of dead sticks. Just stick a battery in and have a flight while the IC guys are carting all their support equipment to the pits. 

Steve

For me personally, it's not so much about the capability of the model. A J60 is pretty restricted in its performance, but that doesn't rob it of character. That slow, relaxing flight IS its character. Take a calm, sunny summer evening and a J60 oozes charm as it potters about. 

Some models do everything. They fly well, do decent aerobatics and everything you want in a sport model but do it in a rather uninteresting way. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Matt Carlton said:

Take a calm, sunny summer evening and a J60 oozes charm as it potters about.

With the Mini Super maybe I should do the same rather than trying to turn it into a sport model.

That would work well when flying gliders on calm days, just for a change. I was thinking of flying when the wind increased but I have The OHmen for that.

? nothing wrong with the model it's just a question of perspective, how I view the model, and consequently its appeal to me.

Thanks Matt

Steve