Thermal glider for stronger winds?

I want to build a thermal glider for stronger winds (over 10mph) and wondering what to build.  I would like a full kit rather then plans / short kit if possible.  It also needs to be self launching with an electric motor.  I have recently built a Introduction F5J which is fantastic in light winds so something along those lines but faster / heavier would be the sort of thing.  I don't want to spend thousands on a full carbon F5J as it's only for sport flying at my local field.   Any suggestions ?  

Friend just recently acquired a 2nd hand Multiplex Kranich, 2.85m wingspan, I've flown it and it's great, while it won't thermal as well as a light weight F5J model it would hardly notice a 10 mph wind. I've just acquired a similar Simprop solo, 3.3m, but not yet finished/flown it, but for general sports flying it should be good. Both models were sub £200 2nd hand.

The Cambrian Elan is a good build and a good flier, it is a rudder/elevator glider but it can be electrified.

The cheapest way to obtain an affordable F5J type glider is to watch the classifieds for a NAN Shadow or Xperience Pro, they do appear occasionally.

There is a popular 2-metre class that flies in F5J, models like the Reichard Magic.

In windy weather two things are important, a strong power system to motor upwind in the 30 second launch window (competition only but still desirable) and a relatively thin, modern aerofoil that allows penetration back in to wind after chasing a thermal downwind (again a competition element).

When not flying competitions you can restart the motor and fly home from downwind, you can restart at any time in a competition but would score zero (restart wipes the launch height from the logger).

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Frank,  I will have a look at those two models.

Thanks Gary,  funny you should mention the Elan as that is one I have been thinking about building for a while now.  I'm probably not going to compete so can't really justify a full carbon model even though I would love one.  It was the aerofoil section that put me off the Elan a bit as I assume it's a fairly old design and not that thin.  It does seem to handle wind quite nicely on the slope though in John Woodfields videos.  

Cheers.

Tim.

Yep, the Elan wing section is probably E205, not the best for getting back from downwind. I bungee it in 12 mph winds.

The Flair Albatross has a better section, has spoilers and is generally a stronger model (Liteply versus balsa). Electrifying these rectangular section fuselages is very common though the CGs were achieved with a AA receiver battery pack in the nose.

The Elan is available but the Albatross is becoming scarce, there are two versions, foam wing or built-up.

1900853629_PictureorVideo149.thumb.JPG.75871d5f04a19fc24bb2de82de72aa49.JPG

Thanks Gary,  they are both nice looking gliders.  I can't find the flair kit anywhere so might just get the Elan and see how that goes.  I enjoy building so it doesn't matter if it's not perfect and I can keep a look out for other options in the mean time.

Ah yes,  the Watts Up,  I had forgotten about that one.  I think I'm going to plump with the Elan.  One of the other members of my club is also interested in building an Elan so at least we can have some friendly competition on an even keel.  Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Selestra for a time, which was reasonably competent in a breeze if ballasted. Plans are on outerzone. Possibly a bit outdated today.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12334

I also had a Valenta Dragon F3b glider which was very good without needing too much ballast, so quite versatile. Moulded though, so may not suit you. 

http://www.valentamodel.cz/en/index.php/dragon-29-a65

• Like 1