another annoying scam!

• 1 year later...

I had a bit of a wake up call today when my iPhone started going mad with simultaneous texts from both my c/card providers saying they had detected fraudulent activity. Both were small amounts were 0.65p and 0.53p respectively both from somebody called LIFEWATCH. Apparently both these occurred in the USA. Fortunately, when this has happened before the banks have picked these things up straight away. Phew! I now have to wait for replacement cards on both providers which is a bit of a worry because I go on holiday in 2 weeks. 😒 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

I had a bit of a wake up call today when my iPhone started going mad with simultaneous texts from both my c/card providers saying they had detected fraudulent activity. Both were small amounts were 0.65p and 0.53p respectively both from somebody called LIFEWATCH. Apparently both these occurred in the USA. Fortunately, when this has happened before the banks have picked these things up straight away. Phew! I now have to wait for replacement cards on both providers which is a bit of a worry because I go on holiday in 2 weeks. 😒 

Exactly the same thing has happened on my credit card today, £0.44 in my case

• Sad 1

Mmmm.... it's got me thinking given there seems to be a few victims coming forward who are modellers on here. This may be something and nothing, but a few weeks ago Nexus models changed its web designer and a lot of us received an email asking us to sign in again to a new account with a fresh password. Before doing this I phoned the boys at Nexus and said they had been on the phone from 6am that day as its new web designers had set up an imperfect system and what was happening was as a result of this. And customers in their numbers were querying the e-mail. Funnily enough the web designers were based in the USA. I am not say this is the reason and heaven forbid I am not slandering anybody so apologise in advance. It just seems rather strange.  

Edited by Adrian Smith 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cripps said:

And me, exactly the same thing. Another small transaction (£0.75) but I guess if enough of them get through then the scammers could make a lot of money.

They aren't making their money out of loads of £0.75 transactions, that's a test before they try to make a payment of a few hundred quid or more.

Possible the small transactions on the accounts are just to see if it works.  Once they detect the payment goes through then the scammer will increase the amount deducted from each of your accounts. Personally I would be contacting the bank to block any further attempts.

Slightly different one here:  My bank called me this morning warning me of a 22p transaction on my debit card from an outfit calling themselves Jet Frog.  No money lost but the hassle of a new card coming in the post.  As others have said, the small transactions are "testing the water".  If the small transaction succeeds it is followed by much larger transactions.  Scum bags!

35 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

My bank contacted me straight away

Are you all absolutely 100% certain it was the bank calling?   How do you know?

This is often a key part of the scam... and they are very, very good at it.
Has anyone received their 'replacement card' ?

Edited by Phil Green

Both Lifewatch and Jetfrog in my case same debit card 75p & 30p respectively, like Phil says I didn’t trust the message from the bank but rather opened my account and was asked if I had used the card for Jetfrog the fraud team whilst checking my account told me about the Lifewatch one.

I wonder as there are a few of us if it is somewhere we all use? Although to be honest online purchases go through PayPal and not usually my cards direct. 🤔 

The reason I knew it was my bank texting me was because I phoned it back using the telephone number on my credit cards. The two amounts were initially declined and the bank wanted conformation it wasn't my entry. This is standard practise and it has happened before last year and the methodology is the same now as then. And by the way Paypal is also subject to potential scams so I wouldn't get into a false sense of security with them either. 

Today I have spent hours on the phone, especially to Halifax/Lloyds/Bank of Scotland group who kept putting me on hold and then cutting me off. In all, 7 credit cards now cancelled and reissued due to Jet Frog and Lifewatch transactions. This was across 3 card providers: Barclay, Royal BOS, Halifax group. It seems like a large scale attack. It was suggested to me that the card details being saved in Paypal might be the source of this. However, many but not all of the cards were saved in Paypal. Also, within the Paypal security menus you can see device logon history and there was nothing suspicious there. Still, I have changed the password and deleted all the cards in the "Wallet", most of which were compromised anyway.

I'm afraid this is the modern world for you. Personal data is leaking all over the place. For example, in 2022 there was a massive breach from USS (Universities Superannuation Scheme) with names addresses d.o.b. NI numbers etc etc. It's a mess which requires constant vigilance.

Yes, Jonathan you are right I had a feeling early on this was being done on a larger scale than usual. I feel your pain particularly as us good folk will be with credit cards for at best 3-5 days working days or worst for 10 working days. I doubt the Paypal angle as you say as I don't have a Paypal account anymore - for some 3 years or more when Ebay changed its payment methodology away from PP. All we can do is keep vigilant and share information here. 

As others have said, they were testing the water to see what got through, a lot of people wouldn't notice such a smal account and the bank security system is far more to allow a payment through if the payee has been paid from the same account before, you can see what will hapen here here, many more examples, just google Jet Frog and Lifewatch transactions