I have managed to break a switch om my Hitec Flash 8 Tx. I have got a new switch,but when I took  the back cover off instead of a lead the switch is soldered to a board along with the adjacent switch and a slider switch. Not confident about replacing it so need to send to an agent. Can anyone tell me who the service agent is for Hitec please.

John

1 hour ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

J Perkins are the Hitec distributors. It's entirely possible that they farm out servicing and repair work to Mike at model radio workshop rather than doing it in-house.

Looking at Mike's website he lists a number of 'partners' of which Hitec are included. There must be so few sets returned for servicing these days and with modern manufacturing quality, few returns under warranty. I find it hard to see how individual brands (in the UK at least) would manage to keep a viable service / repair department.

As we've discussed before, it may well be just as economical to replace a faulty item with a new replacement on warranty claims particularly if the fault is intermittent or requires a lot of labour time to complete.

Even replacing a broken switch if it is awkward to get to, requiring a fair bit of dismantling of the tranny might take an hour's labour, for which one might reasonably be asked to pay £70 per hour or more + the part+ postage etc.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Looking at Mike's website he lists a number of 'partners' of which Hitec are included. There must be so few sets returned for servicing these days and with modern manufacturing quality, few returns under warranty. I find it hard to see how individual brands (in the UK at least) would manage to keep a viable service / repair department.

As we've discussed before, it may well be just as economical to replace a faulty item with a new replacement on warranty claims particularly if the fault is intermittent or requires a lot of labour time to complete.

Even replacing a broken switch if it is awkward to get to, requiring a fair bit of dismantling of the tranny might take an hour's labour, for which one might reasonably be asked to pay £70 per hour or more + the part+ postage etc.

Mike once diagnosed and replaced an output driver logic buffer chip in my Hitec Tx. The fault was caused by me momentarily plugging the Tx battery pack in reverse polarity. His labour and parts charges were reasonable and cheaper than a replacement 2nd hand Tx. The repair has been perfect for the last 9 years, so I'd recommend him.

On 23/06/2022 at 08:26, John Tee said:

I have managed to break a switch om my Hitec Flash 8 Tx. I have got a new switch,but when I took  the back cover off instead of a lead the switch is soldered to a board along with the adjacent switch and a slider switch. Not confident about replacing it 

John

You may be aware of this John, and still decided not to go ahead yourself,

Or you may not be aware, of how to do an on circuit board repair.

Electronic repair was part of my employment.

We heat sink around the repair so as the heat does not travel down the printed circuit track.

Easily done with blue-tac, absorbs heat beautifully.

Roll out suitable diameter snakes of the blue-tac and surround and press down onto your circuit board, above and below if you can.

If the solder on your switch is a good thickness, or thin we have two ways to get this off or both.

A desolder pump, and desolder braid, and a good clean hot soldering iron.

The iron melts the solder, and the pump sucks the wet solder up.

Then place your braid in good contact with the board and heat this up, and very soon, there will be no solder holding your switch down.

You can remove the broken switch and replace with new.

Edited by Denis Watkins

Thanks Denis. I'll have a second look over the weekend, going to Wings and Weald tomorrow.

Alan, That is what I have a board approx 50* 20 mm with the adjacent switch on it as well then a feed to a slider on the side of the Tx. Probably as Denis says not too difficult but I have not done one before.

John