JST Futaba Crimp Tool

Frank Day

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable item.

I looked on-line and found a few listed but not at model shops ranging for £7 to £300!. Checking a couple of the automotive crimps I have revealed one showing the same size range as that shown for our purpose. However  a quick test run showed it was way too big for purpose but this size is being listed for RC use.

Thanks

There are numerous crimp tools sold for servo connector assembly but very few of them are perfect for the job. The only one I found that works for me is a non-ratchet tool I bought from Al's Hobbies. Most of these tools have jaws that are too big to get a proper crimp. A proper crimp should be so tight that it actually creates a cold weld between the connector and the wires. It's not just squeezed on and hope it holds. The way to test if a crimp has actually worked is to do a destructive test where you undo the insulation grip and attempt pull the wire out of the connector. If it comes out this is a fail the conductor should break under tension before coming loose from the connector.

11 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

There are numerous crimp tools sold for servo connector assembly but very few of them are perfect for the job. The only one I found that works for me is a non-ratchet tool I bought from Al's Hobbies. Most of these tools have jaws that are too big to get a proper crimp. A proper crimp should be so tight that it actually creates a cold weld between the connector and the wires. It's not just squeezed on and hope it holds. The way to test if a crimp has actually worked is to do a destructive test where you undo the insulation grip and attempt pull the wire out of the connector. If it comes out this is a fail the conductor should break under tension before coming loose from the connector.

I found a number had sizes similar to a couple of automotive set I already own, so tested them,  they hold the pin but wont crimp it. I've ordered one from 4Max as in the link from Earlybird

6 hours ago, Frank Day said:

I found a number had sizes similar to a couple of automotive set I already own, so tested them,  they hold the pin but wont crimp it. I've ordered one from 4Max as in the link from Earlybird

Same here and from past experience I learned that the crimp tool required can be very specific to the pin. As George is selling this tool specifically for these pins it is fair to assume they work so having dithered for a while I have also ordered one from 4-Max. Thanks Frank.

Steve

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Same here and from past experience I learned that the crimp tool required can be very specific to the pin. As George is selling this tool specifically for these pins it is fair to assume they work so having dithered for a while I have also ordered one from 4-Max. Thanks Frank.

Steve

Hi Steve, I managed to contact 4Max/George just in the Nick of Time, £22.50 later and its in the box with my "George" recommended BT Mossie electric conversion. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

First use of the crimp tool.

IMG_20220714_080551_HDR.thumb.jpg.ed2e35903c02e8ab5b59fd5e35b012a4.jpg

Used on MaxLoc connectors as above. I also used them on female servo connectors to go into the RX.

Being gifted with some common sense I bought extra pins, just in case, to practice with. They came in handy while I worked out how to use the tool.

Tested and working 🙂 beginner's luck maybe.

Steve

It will be interesting to see how you get on. As a side note, the picture you took is not the same crimps as in the 4-Max advert - yours have replaceable dies.  I ordered a set of these (2820M's) because I find the replaceable die types are too bulky to be able to clearly see to locate the wire in the crimp to the correct depth, and the die ones I have don't crimp the insulation area enough to get the pin in the housing without judicious use of a pair of pliers

crimps.jpg.57ad5fa8ece5fa7aa44c1646792532c0.jpg