Anti virus for windows 10

Ace

For years I have been happy using Kaspersky anti virus but time for a change as I believe it's Russian owned - personal choice and nothing wrong with the product or service?

There are obviously several members from/in IT, so what have you found to be both effective and cheap - is this possible?

Years ago things like Norton and a few others were an absolute pain to uninstall as they embedded themselves so deeply. I would prefer to avoid that frustration again should a new Anti-Virus supplier not work out.

Recommendations - please  

Thanks.

I too use only the inbuilt windows security software and it has been no bother. If you visit www.dodgydavesvirusinfestedwebsite.com twice a day to conduct a 'special downloading operation' you are likely to have trouble, but if you keep to known sites and do not click random links or downloads then you are very unlikely to have any problem. 

After a while cookies and things can build up so every little while a malwarebytes sweep is a good idea. I download the free trial, use it, uninstall, and then repeat as and when i remember. 

Bitdefender for me, used it for quite a few years now, easy to use and has useful add on features. Introductory offer available now £30 for first year for 3 devices, also Which Best Buy. Previously had a Bitdefender Box, which goes between your router and home network to provide cover for all connected devices, not just PCs, Laptops etc - very effective if you have a lot of devices at home. Netgear now offer Bitdefender integrated into their routers and mesh devices, giving similar protection to the Bitdefender Box.

+1 for Microsoft - protects both our devices and we've not had any issues in the 5 years since we ditched Norton. And, we do a fair bit of browsing.

Think my son uses it on all his devices too as it doesn't interfere with his on-line gaming - he's had no issues either.  

I have used Avast and then Norton which came as a free trial on the new kit. Looked at upgrading £29.99 for the first year £68 thereafter. Have gone back to MS Defender.

Have bank account which alerts me to all spending so hopefully that aids in seeing whether funds are going where they shouldn't and giving opportunity to kill the transaction.

Whilst Banks and finance houses can and should do more I have to say am so far pleased with mine. It stopped a payment i was making on a Sunday as it fell outside my spending pattern and was an account held outside UK. A quick phone call and the transaction went ahead. I do my best not to get taken in and it is fair to say you have to have your wits about you. I treat all unsolicited e mails, phone calls with great suspicion. I do not use a website that makes rejection of cookies an easy option, and paranoid if you will I do not use social media.

Whilst we should expect the software platforms to do their utmost to protect us, along with the finance and retails sectors, we still have to look out for ourselves and not assume we are being looked after and then when it does go wrong look to deposit blame elsewhere.

I got rid of kaspersky several years ago and started to use the inbuilt windows defender in windows 10. Confused as to why anyone would want to pay for an external add on anti virus programme given the Microsoft version works.

Another good reason to get rid of kaspersky is that I got caught by an auto renewal charge  sent 12 months after I cancelled there service. Luckily I had paid using PayPal and got a refund from them very quickly and an ability to block any further charges by that company.

Built in anti-virus. I would never pay for any extra, certainly. What I would recommend is to have a separation on your hardrive to store important files and know how to re-install your operating system and save a list of the programs you use.

Don't be afraid of a re-install as that cures all viruses. Not that I have ever had a virus, if I even had the slightest suggestion of one I am ready to wipe everything and start again. Which is why I would never buy or trust an anti-virus, I would just clear everything and play it safe.

Here's another factor to chew on with your ginger nuts.

In addition to the actual performance of the various antivirus products (plenty of on-line reviews out there), there's a philosophical argument for using a third party Antivirus (whether free or paid) rather than relying on the inbuilt Windows Defender. The antivirus is there to guard against "holes" in the operating system. I'd rather use a product from a different company to avoid the possibility of the "holes" in both products lining up and letting the virus through. i.e. common mode failures and also possible self denial issues on the part of Microsoft. Just my thoughts - and the reason I use a free third party one.

Edited by Gary Manuel
  • Like 1

My very thoughts hence the preference for a third party additional line of defense.

With MS being so common it would probably be a very high target on any scrots list in trying to find a loophole for maximum return for effort - do I trust MS to be honest if there was a chink - no.

Edited by Ace

On 01/07/2022 at 18:02, GrumpyGnome said:

In this day and age of social media, such things would VERY quickly come to light ...... especially as there are millions of MS haters.

Yes, lots of us (MS haters) out there. The only virus problems my partner had were in 2018, those viruses written by MS which they called Updates and finally wiped her computer in October that year. It happened to about 1 million users.

She has never had a problem since as she never uses MS products. I haven't either for a decade or more.

We and many others never run anti-virus software because we don't / can't get viruses.