Model Flying in France

I am heading off to France this weekend to do some full-size gliding in the Alps. I would also like to take an electic F5J type glider (NAN Shadow E) with me. Can any forum members who live in France (eg David Davis) give me some advice. Is the UK CAA registration scheme recognised in France, or would I need to the full DGAC registration etc? Are the rules different for flying from recognised French model clubs in comparison to ad hoc flying from a farmer's field?

All advice appreciated.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert Welford

We have some French members who are well placed to advise, but I suspect you will have difficulty flying legally at such short notice - the French have gone beyond EASA proposals in some areas, requiring model registration (not just pilots) and transponders for models over 800g outside of designated sites in addition to the now standard online competency testing.

I would say don't bother this time round, as it's almost certain you would be flying illegally...

https://emfu.eu/regulation/implementation/france

Edited by MattyB

Maybe worth starting on the French FFAM site and find a club in the region that you want to fly, they will give you the 'legal' flying sites and ask them for an 'initiation' members adhesion to the club, most club's are helpful, but don't mention any English battles that the French lost ( too many of them ) but just drop a line like my Uncle flew Spitfires, Mosquito's or Lancaster's,,,it will work wonders,,

https://www.ffam.asso.fr/fr/pratiquer-l-aeromodelisme/trouver-un-club-pres-de-chez-vous.html

Thanks Matty. I had looked at the www.finesseplus.org and was surprised at was required to fly models in France.

I wondered whether there was any reciprocal arrangement with the CAA/BMFA scheme.

The risk with it being so difficult is that even sensible people will be tempted to fly "illegally". I will leave my Shadow glider at home ?

Thanks again Robert.

As far as I know, BMFA insurance covers you when you're on holiday in France flying from an official French club's flying field. Certainly at our field if a Brit turns up he always shows us his BMFA Me3mbership and we let him fly, no bother.

Incidentally, I wonder whether La Coupe Des Barons is insured by the FFAM. Ten models in the sky at the same time? I can't see a British insurance covering that!

2 minutes ago, David Davis said:

As far as I know, BMFA insurance covers you when you're on holiday in France flying from an official French club's flying field. Certainly at our field if a Brit turns up he always shows us his BMFA Me3mbership and we let him fly, no bother.

Incidentally, I wonder whether La Coupe Des Barons is insured by the FFAM. Ten models in the sky at the same time? I can't see a British insurance covering that!

Did you not see the Mass flys recently, organised by the BMFA, It's a record tha no's.

I lived in France for nearly 40 years and flew both model aircraft including gliders in the southern alps.

I am sure you would be made very welcome in any French model club. So take your model glider and have a great holiday.

By the way where are you planning to fly full size gliders?  I used to fly in the southern alps mainly from Fayence which is near Cannes.

Barry

I am in France at the moment near St Etienne on a touring holiday so I checked out the French FFam website for a local club. Found one and went there yesterday to sound out any possibility to fly and met the club chairman at their field.Showed him my BMFA,CAA  and club card and he could not be more welcoming and agreed to let me fly with them this coming Saturday.This is about the fourth holiday in France i've had have always been welcomed by the local clubs.

• Like 1