Buckminster warbirds and beer 15-17 July

Is anyone going to this? It has caught my attention and i might see if i can make the trip up there. I might even camp Friday night and then shoot off late on Saturday. 

All weather dependant clearly but a friend and i are considering it and i was curious to know if anyone else was. 

I booked in a while back but it’s a four hour drive and with the cost of diesel means it’s definitely a commitment for a good forecast only. Plan to go Friday, camping for two nights. It’s a fabulous flying site where I maidened my P47 last year. May just take the Sea Fury, unless they get the grass really short in which case I take them both.

Its 2 hours drive for me and i certainly will not be going if the weather looks pants. A bit of a breeze is ok, but if any wet stuff is predicted count me out. 

My master plan would be to bring my sea fury and, if its behaving, my Hurricane as well. I need to test fly the Hurricane ahead of time to make sure i have fixed the cowling issues. If its no good then i will try and bring the La7, assuming its undercarriage are repaired i time. I requested the friday off work and have been told to take the whole week as the boss is away anyway so nothing much will get done. If that is the case i will go friday morning, fly, camp over with some beverages and bbq, then carry on the next day. I dont know how the flight slots are organised but perhaps we can arrange a laser slot? Multi cylinder madness for 10 minutes should sound great. 

Beyond that what is the procedure? Can i just rock up on the day or do i need to book ahead of time? is 35mhz ok as i have some on 35 that i could also bring to cover any models that go u/s on me. If i stack them nicely i can probably squeeze 2 big birds and my smaller Hurricane in. I will see how that all works out closer to the time. 

• Like 1

I plan to be there from Friday pm onwards, not sure how much space I'll have in the car. At least a couple of Lasers and possibly a twin but not sure it will be the Tigercat. The last beer and warbirds meeting was ok, but they expect you to start it and fly (no tune at WOT) and while I don' mind a Laser 70 Warbird dead sticking I am not prepared to risk any of my twins, This was made worse at one other Buckminster meeting where a numpty ran a big 3D 2 stroke at near WOT for my entire flight in the pit box and I could hardly ever hear mine in flight (one rule for one and not for others).

We’ve booked a week at the Caravan Club site at Wymondham windmill just a very few miles away so I'll probably have a ride over to see what's happening and, as I'll be pedalling rather than driving, try a pint ?   I may take a couple of models to fly in the next week if it's possible.  Now we have a small caravan rather than the campervan it's easier to carry a model or two in the car.

There seems to be little information about the event or if non-flying BMFA members are welcome or if there's a charge to do so.

42 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

What's a WOT... ?

Wide Open Throttle 

Would annoy me too if someone was doing that while I was flying. 

Brian, you are a regular at Buckminster I believe. Could you post any details of the format of the Warbirds event if you have participated before please.

3 hours ago, Nick Somerville said:

Wide Open Throttle 

Brian, you are a regular at Buckminster I believe. Could you post any details of the format of the Warbirds event if you have participated before please.

We have a club rule about persistent running of ic engines in the pits if people are flying.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Somerville said:

Wide Open Throttle 

Yes, prolonged engine running at full chat behind me would irritate me too.

My attendance at Buckminster has usually been for the Achievement Scheme events. 

I haven't been to one of the Warbirds and Beer events. . .but it would be nice to meet up with Mr. Scarborough again to rekindle our spirited, warbird formation "jamming" sessions. ?

164460948_SPITFIREINFORMATION.thumb.jpg.3ecedac5df4585a620a8e8740120a617.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick Somerville said:

Wide Open Throttle 

A 10 sec run should be allowed, that should be enough to confirm engine is tuned.

4 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Members of clubs I have been in do this to empty the tank at the end of a session

Most I've seen do that after emptying the tank in order to remove fuel from the fuel line and carb.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know exactly how this event works? Details from BMFA are non existent and so far my friend and i have had no reply to emails asking for details. 

Things like.... is camping still available, is there a charge, are we allowed bbq's or camping stoves, how are flying slots arranged, what facilities are on site (food, drink, showers?) what are the event timings in terms of arrival and leaving the site...the list goes on. 

More or less every mission critical piece of information regarding the event seems completely unavailable and its rather annoying. The only notice i can find is the one linked above and it seems to refer to an event poster that i have, as yet, been unable to find. 

Do they not want people to attend? if they do they need up their game and get the relevant information out.