Buckminster warbirds and beer 15-17 July

Yea where did you find that? 

in any case 15 quid to fly and 15 quid to camp? really? might be a showstopper for me given travel and other costs as it tips over 100 quid when im all done and i have other things to spend it on 😞 

58 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Yea where did you find that? 

in any case 15 quid to fly and 15 quid to camp? really? might be a showstopper for me given travel and other costs as it tips over 100 quid when im all done and i have other things to spend it on 😞 

Be a shame not to see you there Jon especially as the forecast looks good at the moment.

As for me, I'll be there from Friday onwards camping with the SG Mossie (70's) and the VQ with the 80 in it...see if I can fit an electric in but it will only be a foamy if space is tight...

Ron, are you bringing the Tigercat? 

1 hour ago, Nick Somerville said:

That’s a shame Jon. I had the cider ready for you too. 

Thanks Nick i appreciate it but its not going to work for me this time. 

I am actually pretty angry about it as i was looking forward to a mini Laser customer meet n greet, and to fly with you guys as well and chill out with a beer in the evening. But i see their prices as a cash grab and in part that is why i want nothing to do with it. It does also put the cost of the adventure up to a point where i cannot justify it 😞 

9 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Thanks Nick i appreciate it but its not going to work for me this time. 

I am actually pretty angry about it as i was looking forward to a mini Laser customer meet n greet, and to fly with you guys as well and chill out with a beer in the evening. But i see their prices as a cash grab and in part that is why i want nothing to do with it. It does also put the cost of the adventure up to a point where i cannot justify it 😞 

I think the heat must be getting to you Jon ! Chill out man !

Actually the charges are exactly the same as visiting the centre normally, if you factor in the "free lunch".

Have you seen the prices of other organised outdoor events recently ?

We are in the middle of The Great Yorkshire Show week (when most sane Harrogate folk go away on holiday, or brick their gateways up). Entrance price to look around is £29.00 and the hotel and restaurant trade look forward to it in a similar way vampires do a full moon.

The big problem (I was going to add currently, but that might be the case long term) is the cost of transport and that applies to everybody.

Add that in and every outing becomes expensive (not including the ice creams !).

Who can remember when the average Sunday flier would turn up at the field on his cycle, with his model strapped to his back and a tin of diesel fuel in his pocket for a days flying.

I can't, I'm too young (still a pensioner though).  🙃

• Like 1

The last show i went to afforded me free entry and free camping as i was participating. As i am participating in this show i am not sure why that should be different. 

Anyway it is not just the cost. The lack of information caused a bit of a rage quit as the whole thing became a hassle. As the premise was a chilled out no hassle fly in this changed my mindset going forward. 

Its a shame, but i am not short of things to do or things to spend money on. 

I didn't think this was a show, but a flyin, where you fly to your hearts content with like minded others, not a fixed time slot where you have to put on a display for the paying public.

I go to the glider aerotows and a typical cost for them is £10 per day and no lunch, great days out and worth every penny. 

• Like 3

Pleased you had a good time. Friday evening i was regretting my decision not to go as i sat by myself with nothing to do and noone to talk to. However, I am glad i didnt go as i flew at my club on saturday and took the the two models i intended to take. Both were just out of maintenance and both presented small problems. Nothing major, but i didnt have full confidence in them and i knew this ahead of time so it was another thing on my mind when considering to stay/go. 

Still, i was able to clear the snags in fairly short order despite my electric starter failing on me first thing. 6 flights total with 3 on both models. A good hour of air time for about half a gallon of low oil laser 5 consumed. Not bad for models sporting 40 and 60cc engines. This was the first time i ran the sea fury on the new low oil fuel and was very pleased with the performance. I spent about 2 minutes setting all 4 needles (very little adjustment needed in this instance) and the engine was faultless for the rest of the day. 

Anyway i finally gave it all up around half 5 as the heat had roasted my brain and i could feel my concentration fading during what i had already intended to be my penultimate flight of the day. My landing with the sea fury was awful so i decided to call it a day before i broke something.  i was also glad i didnt have a 2 hour drive home!  

• Like 2

Travelled up Friday afternoon, tent all pitched and a bit of mingling with the people there as a few were braving the blustery conditions. Saturday was great with non stop Warbirds from 10 to 5pm .

The FW 190 with the Laser 80 performed impeccably and as the heat build up I had a reasonable flight with the Mossie (twin Laser 70's) + the Ripmax Spit saw the end of a great day for me.

This morning was another flight FW190 followed by the mossie (lively cross wind, but cracking sky to fly around), polished off with a foamy session at the end for me.  

Buckminster and all of its helpers did us proud with great campsite, good facilities, friendly and helpful bunch. Catering van all day and strategic visits form the ice cream van catered for most.

On thing for sure, I'll be back next year

some of the big boy toys

image.thumb.png.84ccf18264e64e4668c74a2c2e8935a2.png

And my lot !

image.thumb.png.c9ff019e35b64fd6372943f45e5e2e8d.png

• Like 3

It sure was hot. The number and range of models superb from foamies to the big Moki powered beasts. It’s a superb site and the 100 years of aero modelling exhibition in the hanger an added bonus. a well as a chance for some respite from the sun.

As a relatively low airtime powered flier and newbie warbird pilot it was brilliant to watch a whole day of routines and imbed in my mind the best flying to have something to come away with and aspire to.

My last flight with the Sea Fury was a real struggle as hours in the hot sun had put the model seriously out of trim. I had to use most of my down trim to achieve a modicum of level flight. I would not have expected a carbon pushrod to extend in length like that. 

image.thumb.jpeg.27cc7b37cf3bed73e58a745c8c7bccb6.jpeg

• Like 1

Shame about that, Ron, I didn't think I saw the famous hat on the flightline when I visited on Saturday. I thought it was a good day out and enjoyed wandering around looking at the models and chatting with various people (good to see you, John).

If the dates fall right then I think a weekend away in the caravan is in order next year.

• Like 2