Setting up AR637T with safe.

Tim Eastgate

Hi all,

I am having trouble setting up an AR637T with safe, I've watched all the tutorials and I still can't get it to work. I can set the gyro with multiple flight modes but If I then try to add the safe option I lose all the gyro settings. Apparently it's possible (actually necessary) to have both and I should be able to set a panic button feature for the safe - so I can fly with the gyro in the background and if/when I get into trouble I hit the panic button and it saves the model by returning it to level flight.

But I can't do it!

If anyone has any hints or tips I'd be very grateful as it's driving me mad.

TIA

Tim

PS apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've searched and nothing comes up.

Edited by Tim Eastgate
additional info

Sorry cant help Tim but I have a AR9350 which I started playing with two months ago and I have only just managed to get the model flying with it after several disasters including knocking out the motor so I suspect you are on a long learning path regarding these Rx's.

Assume you have the Spektrum App on your PC / Phone and have at least worked out how to use it.

Tim, there is not a simple " one liner " to help you out, but the AR637T will bind and operate if the instructions are followed, as I have done this 3 times for flying pals on 3 different set ups.

Trial and error does not work at all with so many variables that have to be lined up.

One set up did work straight from the box using the default settings.

To start off, the transmitter has to be up to date with downloads and you have to have enough channels on the Tx.

Edited by Denis Watkins

35 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Sorry cant help Tim but I have a AR9350 which I started playing with two months ago and I have only just managed to get the model flying with it after several disasters including knocking out the motor so I suspect you are on a long learning path regarding these Rx's.

Assume you have the Spektrum App on your PC / Phone and have at least worked out how to use it.

There new rx is set up from the tx - no more app's - you can even adjust the gain in flight. So far as I can tell I've followed the instructions but it still won't work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. That's the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Tim, there is not a simple " one liner " to help you out, but the AR637T will bind and operate if the instructions are followed, as I have done this 3 times for flying pals on 3 different set ups.

Trial and error does not work at all with so many variables that have to be lined up.

On set up did work straight from the box using the default settings.

To start off, the transmitter has to be up to date with downloads and you have to have enough channels on the Tx.

Tx  has been recently updated (2 or 3 weeks back) and it binds fine with all the surfaces moving as they should - also plenty of channels , DX9 with a 6 ch rx and the model only requires 4. As I mentioned, I can get the gyro working easily enough and I can adjust the gain etc. It's just when I add the safe it stops the gyro from operating and apparently you can't have one without the other. Also, I'm not using trial and error - I've watched and rewatched the Youtube tutorials (11 of them iirc) several times and I'm doing my best to follow them faithfully (not easy as tutorial is done with a 20 ch touch screen tx). Obviously I'm doing something wrong - it's the 'what' that is the problem.

First attempt and I couldn't assign the 3 position switch I wanted, but got it assigned to the "gear" switch (all or nothing) which was not an issue as it was on a foamboard Versa (delta). The three or four goes I had today have resulted in success with the three position switch and hopefully AS3X and safe working.

IMHO my advice is follow the instructions to the letter and in particular the order in which things are selected/adjusted. Although the tutorials are long winded I think when I fast forwarded/skipped sections I missed vital steps out. Plus some of the advanced videos cover ways to check things and adjust setting you really don't need to at this point.

This might be a red herring, but when you are setting the model up (wing type etc) I needed to assign my preferred 3 position switch in the F-mode menu (before you select your model screen) this then gave me to option in the forward programming to select/configure it.

If your RX powers up, twitches twice then AS3X and Safe is enabled + the switch has everything off, AS3X only and AS3X/safe put it in a model and go test it out out!

I might have been lucky but with the Versa it makes launching a total doddle (after testing the settings at height), simples as 1,2,3

1. Power up and let the RX calibrate itself, select safe mode
  2. Select throttle cut and once on the flight line throttle stick to max
  3. Throttle hold off and let go of model - it will gently climb away  and when ready switch safe off and start having fun 

In summary

AS3X has its place in very windy conditions as any gyro would, 

Safe, can work if you the model (pilot) does something unexpected, flick the switch and its flying straight and level. For me the real area of interest is when hand launching high power models with low throws on the control surfaces (fun fighters etc). The sort of model that will catch a prop as you try launch or loop or just roll to inverted with the torque of the accelerating motor! Oh and never does the same thing twice. 

I have a couple of models that are rather challenging to hand launch and it this means I can get them away on my own in a reliable way then its worth the extra money even if I don't  use any of the features in flight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

First attempt and I couldn't assign the 3 position switch I wanted, but got it assigned to the "gear" switch (all or nothing) which was not an issue as it was on a foamboard Versa (delta). The three or four goes I had today have resulted in success with the three position switch and hopefully AS3X and safe working.

IMHO my advice is follow the instructions to the letter and in particular the order in which things are selected/adjusted. Although the tutorials are long winded I think when I fast forwarded/skipped sections I missed vital steps out. Plus some of the advanced videos cover ways to check things and adjust setting you really don't need to at this point.

This might be a red herring, but when you are setting the model up (wing type etc) I needed to assign my preferred 3 position switch in the F-mode menu (before you select your model screen) this then gave me to option in the forward programming to select/configure it.

If your RX powers up, twitches twice then AS3X and Safe is enabled + the switch has everything off, AS3X only and AS3X/safe put it in a model and go test it out out!

I might have been lucky but with the Versa it makes launching a total doddle (after testing the settings at height), simples as 1,2,3

1. Power up and let the RX calibrate itself, select safe mode
  2. Select throttle cut and once on the flight line throttle stick to max
  3. Throttle hold off and let go of model - it will gently climb away  and when ready switch safe off and start having fun 

In summary

AS3X has its place in very windy conditions as any gyro would, 

Safe, can work if you the model (pilot) does something unexpected, flick the switch and its flying straight and level. For me the real area of interest is when hand launching high power models with low throws on the control surfaces (fun fighters etc). The sort of model that will catch a prop as you try launch or loop or just roll to inverted with the torque of the accelerating motor! Oh and never does the same thing twice. 

I have a couple of models that are rather challenging to hand launch and it this means I can get them away on my own in a reliable way then its worth the extra money even if I don't  use any of the features in flight.

Thanks for your reply, Chris. As you know, I've followed the instructions (so far as I can tell to the letter) and I've also watched and rewatched the tutorials many, many times - but, alas, no matter how carefully I follow the instructions I keep ending up at the same place. Hey ho, such is life. ?

51 minutes ago, Tim Eastgate said:

Thanks for your reply, Chris. As you know, I've followed the instructions (so far as I can tell to the letter) and I've also watched and rewatched the tutorials many, many times - but, alas, no matter how carefully I follow the instructions I keep ending up at the same place. Hey ho, such is life. ?

Tim, you say the gyro settings are lost when you hit the panic button do you mean the gyro has to be set up again?

Steve

I have recently set up the same rx. I too couldnt find hw to set up safe or indeed which switch to set it too. John Adams, the spektrum chap (who i dont think looks to well) seems to have missed it on the tutorial . I found s series by RC AIRMARSHALL on youtube which does show this however i have yet to program that section. I have flown the model twice now but i need another person to help, i.e. to alter the gain so i can judge the setting. In any event no mishaps......so far

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Tim, you say the gyro settings are lost when you hit the panic button do you mean the gyro has to be set up again?

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. What I’m trying to explain (badly) is that prior to SAFE installation the gyro operates correctly ie, pick up the model and wiggle it and the surfaces move accordingly. After SAFE is installed then the gyro ceases to function, ie pick up the model and wiggle  it and nothing. What should be possible is the gyro operating in the background (switchable) and SAFE available on a panic switch when required. Hope that’s a bit clearer. 

11 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

I have recently set up the same rx. I too couldnt find hw to set up safe or indeed which switch to set it too. John Adams, the spektrum chap (who i dont think looks to well) seems to have missed it on the tutorial . I found s series by RC AIRMARSHALL on youtube which does show this however i have yet to program that section. I have flown the model twice now but i need another person to help, i.e. to alter the gain so i can judge the setting. In any event no mishaps......so far

At least I’m not alone then ?

I managed to get mine to do the same, but have since fixed the issue. Ended up deleting the model and starting again.

After todays testing I have mine fully sorted for what I need it for "launch mode" and the AS3X either on or off or AS3X and safe.

I'll have another go with setting a different model up + recheck my crib sheet so I can do it repeatedly set it up without getting lost/messing things up.

PS - One thing I did notice and that there is no discernable  difference between AS3x and Safe on the preflight checks with the movement of the control surface. However once in flight its very clear which flight mode you are in. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zflyer said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try to find the youtube video and see if it helps.

8 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

I managed to get mine to do the same, but have since fixed the issue. Ended up deleting the model and starting again.

After todays testing I have mine fully sorted for what I need it for "launch mode" and the AS3X either on or off or AS3X and safe.

I'll have another go with setting a different model up + recheck my crib sheet so I can do it repeatedly set it up without getting lost/messing things up.

PS - One thing I did notice and that there is no discernable  difference between AS3x and Safe on the preflight checks with the movement of the control surface. However once in flight its very clear which flight mode you are in. 

That sounds promising - if you are successful please could I ask a favour? Please can you scan and post a copy of your crib sheet so I can see which bit I'm missing.

thanks

Tim

• Like 1

When you start with a clean sheet Tim, to assign a New Model, to start again

Make 100% sure, by using the Monitor

That your sticks are operating as expected, and your selected Switch is set as expected

That the switch is ACT And not INH

And that there are no spurious settings on stick movement or switch hidden away.

I tried copying an existing model and as Dennis says it carries any odd settings through that mess things up later when in the forward programming mode. The video does say the model should be set up and flown with all the trim/reverse rates and flight modes already configured. Once its trimmed in, then it should be a case of going into forward programming on the TX and setting the AS3X and Safe functions.. 

You shouldn't get any spurious stick movements as the model should be trimmed in and flown, but again as Dennis says its making sure switches are assigned and active that caught me out (because its in the main TX screen menu before setting up the model in the model menu), then you should be ok in the forward setting menu!

Simples it is not, but its very useful when its available.

PS James was hand launching the Goblin in safe and it never looked like meeting the ground...on launch anyway! Plus I am putting the SU47 back together with the idea of using safe to get it launched reliably.   

• Like 1

Hi Dennis and Chris, 

Thank you both for your suggestions. The model itself is new to me (only a week or two old) and I created it and then set it up from scratch on the TX  - as opposed to using an existing old well flown model copying it, and then adding SAFE  on the duplicate model, like you did Chris - so I don't really see how there could be any odd 'hangover' settings, as there is nothing to hangover - it's all new.  Also, I'm not struggling at all to set the model up on the TX, or adjust the trims and rates it's pretty straightforward including adding mixes for the canards. It's when I add SAFE that it all goes south and that is the part I don't understand and need to get a better grasp of.  However, as what I've been doing clearly isn't working I may as well roll the dice and start again.

ps Chris - any chance I can sneak a peak at your crib sheet please?

thanks again

Tim

Thanks for the 'Important' note, Dennis. I think you've solved my problem. I'm not going mad  - it appears I missed the bit where it states the rx is incompatible with a model that uses mixes to control flight surfaces (unfortunately, this is how the model in question works with no other option according to the user manual) so I guess I'll have to take it out and use it on another model. 

thanks again

Tim

Edited by Tim Eastgate
  • Like 1

Tim,

My test model is a delta and as long as you have set yours up using ELVRON in the wing type it should be ok (old school would do this with mixes - but we don't anymore as the function is available).

So the only difference is you mix the ELVRON's to the Canard (elevator), but I can't see that being an issue unless you mix has switches in it (not just rates).

As I suggested before, pick a model you have flown before, set the AR637T up as per the standard RX settings. Then look to add AS3X and SAFE the risk of doing everything in all in one go is tis very difficult/frustrating to see why its not working...

If necessary set it up for the Yeti, fly it and get used to AS3X and Safe, then add the canard mix (just no servo present in flight) if all that works progress on to ballistic rocket thing!

Its just a case of getting familiar with the way its set up and how it works. 

Dennis, 

Safe takes the model to straight and level flight...I might be wrong, but stabilisers don't do that and that's the point of using safe for launching. I can point and head in any direction (even the ground), flick the safe switch and there it is heading straight and level ?

• Like 1

Am I understanding you correctly, Chris - you think the rx will still work in the model even though the instructions expressly state that the rx is incompatible with a model which requires mixes for proper control of the plane (I'm a bit confused with your mention of old school and mixes, not sure what you mean)?

Tim

I hate going backwards or rabbit hole on threads, but in the dark days of TX's they had sticks that sort of moved things in models - sometimes! And functionality was very very limited. Cleaver people added all kinds of things or found work arounds like for models with combined elevators and ailerons and they did this through setting up a bunch of mixes as it was their only option at the time.

Your TX has inbuilt wing types including ELVRONS which means you don't have to mess around with loads of mixes to achieve it, but you could if you wanted to. My take is that with AS3X and safe Spektrum can't account for all the permutations of these mixes so state you take the easy route and works for them by using the wing type option.

Don't forget the RX and gyro needs to translate the change of direction into a corrective output very quickly, hence all the setting up required. That's why I said take a step by set approach. If you get everything working and the last thing you add is the canard mix and it all screws up you will know why.....but I still think it can be done!