OS 25 Max

Andy J

The FP  engines were excellent if run correctly . Check for rock on the crank bearing bush. Enyas are IMO even better and bullet proof engines , however they are noisier than the FP . Enya bark.

If there is rock on the crank bearing then engine will loose a little power and become thirsty spraying the extra fuel from behind the prop driver. This applies to all plain bearing engines although I've yet to see an Enya worn like this.

Will keep that in mind Jeff. Spent £50 on three  os 20's which will be too small for the GTC and a further £50 on the Enya so will wait to see if another Enya 25SS comes on the market in the next few weeks before I change engine type yet again.

• 2 weeks later...

Backflicking isn’t turning the engine over in reverse, it’s tapping the prop. backwards against compression, when the engine fires it (hopefully) kicks and runs in the correct direction.

One advantage is that you are never going to damage a flooded engine by forcing it over compression as can happen with careless use of an electric starter.

The engine needs to be primed for it to backflick start, and you need to find the optimum amount to prime each of your engines (once the fuel has been drawn upto the carb).

My flying friend always starts his engines by flicking back against compression, both two and four strokes. He has the knack. I don’t and it can take me several attempts, if it starts at all, so I normally start mine with a forward flick wearing a thick glove for smaller engines, and a starter for, say, 120 four strokes.

Brian.

6 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Backflicking isn’t turning the engine over in reverse, it’s tapping the prop. backwards against compression, when the engine fires it (hopefully) kicks and runs in the correct direction.

One advantage is that you are never going to damage a flooded engine by forcing it over compression as can happen with careless use of an electric starter.

But you can get a flooded engine to oscillate two or three times, firing & reversing direction each time as the piston nears TDC.

A sure way to avoid a hydraulic lock is to install the engine inverted & turn it over once or twice by hand after priming & before connecting battery to plug. 

4 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Flood engine, turn it over at least twice by hand to evacuate the excess fuel, hold prop, connect plug, a tiny bit of throttle, back flip. fly,,,,🥳

Turning a flooded an upright mounted engine by hand does not always clear excess fuel accumulated in the bottom of the crankcase. When the engine fires the now more effective pump action can transfer the excess fuel to the top of the cylinder causing an hydraulic lock.

2 hours ago, PatMc said:

Turning a flooded an upright mounted engine by hand does not always clear excess fuel accumulated in the bottom of the crankcase. When the engine fires the now more effective pump action can transfer the excess fuel to the top of the cylinder causing an hydraulic lock.

I haven't seen an engine mounted upright since a Cox 40 years ago.